Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
gentletitus2mama
Climbing Rose

gentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to beholdgentletitus2mama is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Hate to cause conflict with my church ladies.

I knew some of my mom friends at church used a schedule and have never said a word about it. But I posted the aap recomendation on facebook lastnight along with my well researched opinion and a few of the ladies commented or messaged me saying they are pretty offended I would post that link and that THEIR children did great and it was a life saver for their family. And I had one that said I should remove the offensive picture with the aap recomendations. I told them that I didn't mean to offend anyone but that after nearly 15 years of researching this issue and now that I am going to college for child development/psychology it's the one parenting topic that I choose to speak out about because it personally affected me and my family. I don't want to lose friends over this but I don't plan to remove it from my page either. But still for this peace lovin' mama it's hard to know that people are upset with me.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to gentletitus2mama For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (03-12-2012), ArmsOfLove (03-12-2012), BarefootBetsy (03-12-2012), dulce de leche (03-12-2012), FebFaith (03-12-2012), FlyingBlueKiwi (03-15-2012), JamesMama (03-17-2012), Joanne (03-18-2012), Llee (03-12-2012), Persinette (03-12-2012), PrincessAnika (03-12-2012), ReedleBeetle (03-12-2012), Virginia (03-12-2012), WingsOfTheMorning (03-12-2012), Zooey (03-13-2012)
The Following 19 Users Say they are praying for gentletitus2mama:
Akina (03-12-2012), AngelaVA (03-12-2012), Annainprogress (03-12-2012), Barefoot Bookworm (03-12-2012), dulce de leche (03-12-2012), EnglishRose (03-12-2012), FebFaith (03-12-2012), FlyingBlueKiwi (03-15-2012), GlobalMama (03-12-2012), JamesMama (03-17-2012), Joanne (03-18-2012), motherofboys (03-17-2012), Peridot (03-12-2012), PrincessAnika (03-12-2012), ReedleBeetle (03-12-2012), saturnfire16 (03-12-2012), Virginia (03-12-2012), Zooey (03-13-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hate to cause conflict with my church ladies.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
gentletitus2mama (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry they're upset with you.

IMO, if you had posted it on THEIR wall, maybe they could be offended, but you posted it on YOUR wall, and they are free to skim right past it if it doesn't appeal to them, ykwim? I think people need to stop cultivating a "spirit of offense" and not feel like they have to police what you post on your wall.

That said, I totally understand how conflict sucks for those of us who are sensitive to it, and I hope it blows over quickly.
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to mamajane For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-12-2012), AngelaVA (03-12-2012), Annainprogress (03-12-2012), Aubieirish (03-12-2012), dulce de leche (03-12-2012), Elyse221 (03-12-2012), EnglishRose (03-12-2012), Fallin2Grace (04-09-2012), gentletitus2mama (03-12-2012), JamesMama (03-17-2012), Kitty (03-13-2012), kwisie (03-12-2012), LadyofReason (03-12-2012), LearningMama (03-12-2012), PaperMomma (03-12-2012), Peridot (03-12-2012), PrincessAnika (03-12-2012), Psyche (03-12-2012), Rabbit (03-12-2012), ReedleBeetle (03-12-2012), rjy9343 (03-13-2012), twentysixcats (03-12-2012), Virginia (03-12-2012), WanderingJuniper (03-12-2012), Zooey (03-13-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Sorry you're dealing with this. FB is such a double sided thing. IRT someoen suggesting you "should" do something. I've said more than once to people who make such comments to me "Please do not "should" me. Thank you." And leave it at that. As for their offense, it is their choice. And, yes it is a choice to be offended. It isn't like you posted something from an alternative minded source. It is a mainstream organization.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (03-12-2012), gentletitus2mama (03-12-2012), Lily (03-12-2012), PrincessAnika (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

People told you to take it down off YOUR wall? Whoa.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
Akina (03-12-2012), Aubieirish (03-12-2012), Domina (03-12-2012), rjy9343 (03-13-2012), walkwallfall (04-05-2012), Zooey (03-13-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
LadyofReason
Rose Bouquet

LadyofReason is a jewel in the roughLadyofReason is a jewel in the roughLadyofReason is a jewel in the rough

They can hide that individual story if it offends them so bad. You don't have to do a thing.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LadyofReason For This Useful Post:
gentletitus2mama (03-12-2012), PrincessAnika (03-12-2012), Rabbit (03-12-2012), ReedleBeetle (03-12-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

And you can also block them from that post.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
gentletitus2mama (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

My heart goes out to you. I am SO non-confrontational. I remember teaching a Sunday School class to the 8-10 year olds one week, where the "lesson" was "stand up for what's right." I was quite convicted about that--here I was telling 8 year olds to do something that I frequently fail at.

Anyways, you had your "stand up for what's right" moment.

I'm sure you were tactful and appropriate. Your church friends will get over it, and after the bluster, maybe they'll think.

Last edited by katiekind; 03-13-2012 at 07:59 PM.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (03-13-2012), gentletitus2mama (03-13-2012)