Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
sticky Social Studies (history, geography, civics, etc) -- Please share what you've used.

I'll update this OP as people post. Feel free to leave a personal review, ask questions, etc. Even if you see a program already listed, feel free to add your own personal review in the thread.

This listing is not an endorsement by GCM.

Story of the World

Mystery of History.

A Little History of the World by Gombrich

A Child's History of the World by Hillyer

The Story of Mankind by Van Loon

The Atlas Obscura Explorer's Guide for the World's Most Adventurous Kid

BBC Bitesize https://www.bbc.com/bitesize

Heart of Dakota

BJU Geography

Notgrass American History & Notgrass Word History

CNN 10 https://www.cnn.com/cnn10

Big Fat Notebook for World History (American perspective) https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Ne...8DV7VKB204MVEP

Big Fat Notebook for American History https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Ne...QM5SVCCNVTN71Z

Last edited by Soliloquy; 04-15-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #2
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Studies (history, geography, civics, etc) -- Please share what you've use

Twice we've done a big-picture overview of world history using:

* A Little History of the World: Illustrated Edition by E. H. Gombrich
* A Child's History of the World by V. M. Hillyer

We tried a third time through using Hendrik Willem Van Loon's The Story of Mankind, but it was so bad we gave it up early on.

This year we've been exploring the world using The Atlas Obscura Explorer’s Guide for the World’s Most Adventurous Kid. It has been an excellent and enjoyable launching point for all sorts of geography and social studies.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (04-10-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 03:02 AM   #3
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Studies (history, geography, civics, etc) -- Please share what you've use

I'm not sure if this quite fits into this category, but BBC Bitesize has lots of video clips that cover subjects like history, geography and religion (and also other subjects, including lots of science clips). Some of them are now quite dated, and they are based on the English national curriculum, but nevertheless there is quite a large range of video clips so you may find something that fits in with what you're studying. In case it helps anyone, these are how the key stages correspond to age ranges:
Foundation Stage (FS) - under 5
Key Stage 1 (KS1) - 5-7 years
Key Stage 2 (KS2) - 7-11 years
Key Stage 3 (KS3) - 11-14 years
Key Stage 4 (KS4) - 14-16 years
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vicki_T For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-13-2022), Soliloquy (04-15-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 04:28 AM   #4
Stonebeck Farm
Rose Trellis

Stonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond repute

Elementary/Middle

Story of the World
Heart of Dakota

High School
Heart of Dakota
BJU Geography
Notgrass American History
Notgrass Word History
DS 11/05, and DD 9/07
DNiece 8/06, DNiece 10/08, DNephew 6/11 and DNephew 8/15
and a growing farm of 2 cats, 1 Border Collie, 1 llama, 10 Icelandic sheep, 7 goats, 30 hens & roosters, 1 male turkey, 21 geese
Stonebeck Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonebeck Farm For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (04-15-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

We start each morning by watching CNN 10, "a 10-minute digital news show that explains global news to a global audience." This has been another significant launching point for various social studies (geography, politics, history, etc).

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (04-15-2019)
Old 05-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

DS and I are looking into doing a more in depth history study next year. I was wondering if any of you would like to share some pros and cons of the different programs you've used.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Story of the World has audiobooks! It has a lot of other resources and coloring pages in the teacher manual (or you can just buy student pages). It has suggestions for more in depth projects or you can keep it simple. There are lapbooks for all of the chapters as well as timeline stickers you can get. Because so many people use it, there are lots of online resources. But did I mention the audiobooks? One less thing to read- you can just turn it on and listen. Nothing wrong with reading out loud, but I do a decent amount of that anyway, so it's nice just to be able to listen.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Vicki_T (05-15-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #8
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Story of the World has audiobooks! It has a lot of other resources and coloring pages in the teacher manual (or you can just buy student pages). It has suggestions for more in depth projects or you can keep it simple. There are lapbooks for all of the chapters as well as timeline stickers you can get. Because so many people use it, there are lots of online resources. But did I mention the audiobooks? One less thing to read- you can just turn it on and listen. Nothing wrong with reading out loud, but I do a decent amount of that anyway, so it's nice just to be able to listen.
Where did you get stickers?? My middle son will be so excited.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #9
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

You print the timeline cards off from here, 6 pages to a sheet, on sticker paper, then cur them out.

https://tendingourlordsgarden.blogsp...SOTW%20Vol%201

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #10
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone looking specifically for American History, I recently found this site: Teaching American History. It's all primary documents, no textbook. They have a free homeschool curriculum under the Resources tab that they will send if you sign up.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-13-2022)
Old 07-30-2020, 03:19 PM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
For anyone looking specifically for American History, I recently found this site: Teaching American History. It's all primary documents, no textbook. They have a free homeschool curriculum under the Resources tab that they will send if you sign up.
I need to go look at those

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:56 PM   #12
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arelyn View Post
DS and I are looking into doing a more in depth history study next year. I was wondering if any of you would like to share some pros and cons of the different programs you've used.
Story of the World is a great overview of history. We've done all four units at least twice. The Activity Guide has far more supplemental work than we could realistically do in a week, so you can do it again without having to duplicate projects. (The first year I was horribly sleep-deprived and overwhelmed and wish I had given myself permission earlier in the process to not do absolutely everything just because it was in the book!) The literature and extra reading suggestions are wonderful. There are free lapbooks that people have put online for each book, too if you'd rather do those. I've used those for my littles just for something different but connected. There's the occasional typo and some awkwardly worded things, but overall they're a nice supplement.

We bought the MapQuest software the first year we were homeschooling and I'm still using it. (I haven't used the SOTW maps as much, primarily because it's easier to print than copy. ) For older kids, I've used the Penguin Historical Atlases that I just picked up used online.

Homeschool in the Woods has lots of hands-on activity units and a large collection of Timeline figures. We've done some of the larger activity studies and used the Timeline figures a lot. The artwork is Old World Style drawings, nothing cartoon, which I like. One nice feature is that you can print out each figure in lots of different sizes, including as a coloring page. My Littles really liked that. It's written from a Young Earth creationism perspective, so if you choose to print the figures with text the dates reflect that. It's also more expensive than other programs. Each unit goes more in depth for a shorter time period.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:52 PM   #13
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

I have used mostly Charlotte Mason programs:

Alveary is expensive but SO amazing.

A Gentle Feast

www.welleducatedheart.com and also www.librariesofhope.com is what I'm currently using

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
ForHim (02-14-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 03:02 PM   #14
ForHim
Rose Bush

ForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant future

We use Hillyer's CHOW which the kids find rather dry, so I supplement with BBC and national geographic resources. We also do current affairs with this really cute newspaper called Tuesday is Newsday. It summarises the main newsworthy events around the globe and sparks a lot of conversation with my 7 and 10 year olds.
https://tuesdayisnewsday.wixsite.com/tuesdayisnewsday

---------- Post added 02-14-2023 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-13-2023 at 11:55 PM ----------

We use Hillyer's CHOW which the kids find rather dry, so I supplement with BBC and national geographic resources. We also do current affairs with this really cute newspaper called Tuesday is Newsday. It summarises the main newsworthy events around the globe and sparks a lot of conversation with my 7 and 10 year olds.

Hymnsong (April 2018)
ForHim is offline   Reply With Quote