Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Canning / Preserving *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
ilikestrawberryjello
Rose Trellis

ilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to behold
Default I canned for the first time!!!!

I wish I could post pictures, but my camera is broken! I made blueberry butter according to this website : www.foodinjars.com
I am so proud! Then I canned it! It's so yummy and I was happy to check on my jars this morning and see that they all sealed properly. I made 4 sealed pints and then I kept one open to enjoy. Canning is such fun and I can't wait to do more!
ilikestrawberryjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
homesteadmama
Rose Trellis

homesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I canned for the first time!!!!

That's awesome (and sounds yummy!!)! I think it's so fun too. There's so many things I want to learn to can. Baby steps...

Sarah, INFJ
Wife to M since 1/04
Mommy to S (1/07), W (1/09), S (1/11)~My UC baby, and A (12/14), Another UC baby
, Baby-Wearing, , Cloth Diapering, , Traditional Foods Family
My blog
homesteadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah! Good for you! Don't you love looking at all the jars YOU made? I canned a bunch of cherries last week & I have them sitting up on my hutch - I need to put them in the pantry , but they look so beautiful in those jars & with pitting 25lbs of cherries & canning them - it's hard work! So I just like to admire it before I put them away!
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:33 AM   #4
LisaMarie
Climbing Rose

LisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud of

Fun! I need to sit down and plan what exactly I want to do this year! Enjoy looking at all your hard work!
| Learning Titus 2 - my family & review blog |
LisaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah! It is so much fun. That is not a websight I had found it looks good.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
ilikestrawberryjello
Rose Trellis

ilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to beholdilikestrawberryjello is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PeasInAPod View Post
Yeah! Good for you! Don't you love looking at all the jars YOU made? I canned a bunch of cherries last week & I have them sitting up on my hutch - I need to put them in the pantry , but they look so beautiful in those jars & with pitting 25lbs of cherries & canning them - it's hard work! So I just like to admire it before I put them away!
Exactly! I am so proud they are still sitting in my kitchen and I just look at them everytime I walk by!! I am not sure what i want to can next!!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Two Little Birds
Deactivated

"Knitting is Mama's job"

Location: Where the wind blows, the snow flies and mere mortals can't breathe
Two Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Little Birds has a reputation beyond repute

I canning. It makes me feel so useful, kwim?

I probably won't be doing much, if any, this year. New babe and all. So enjoy it for me!
Two Little Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Garland
Rose Trellis

Garland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond repute

Good job! I just canned jam for the first time last week as well. It was easier than I thought! Not sure why I had been intimidated to try it before. It is fun!

I made strawberry jam and strawberry-lavender jam.

I look forward to going blueberry picking soon and making blueberry jam! Maybe I'll try that blueberry butter recipe you shared too. Yum!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Thankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the recipe!!!! I'm going to can for the first time this year. I'm nervous but super excited . If I get to the berry picking farm I want to make that!!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
Garland
Rose Trellis

Garland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfulforgrace View Post
I'm going to can for the first time this year. I'm nervous but super excited .

I was nervous about it too....but I found it to be super easy! Go for it!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
ilikestrawberryjello
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaCat View Post
Good job! I just canned jam for the first time last week as well. It was easier than I thought! Not sure why I had been intimidated to try it before. It is fun!

I made strawberry jam and strawberry-lavender jam.

I look forward to going blueberry picking soon and making blueberry jam! Maybe I'll try that blueberry butter recipe you shared too. Yum!
I really like the smoothness of the blueberry butter! It was so good!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
Garland
Rose Trellis

I wonder if blueberry butter can be made with a different sweetener instead of sugar.... I've been trying to reduce/eliminate sugar.

Or I wonder if blueberry butter could be frozen (like freezer-jam) because then it wouldn't matter what it was sweetened with (sugar acts as a perservative in canned food). Just thinking out loud....
Old 07-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

I hadnt come across that website before. I really enjoyed reading through some of the recipes. I hadn't heard of blueberry butter before but hey...why not, right?

I was sort of wondering (because I am tired and lazy feeling) if I could use organic, frozen cherries to make jam... you know...b/c they would already be pitted, etc. ((Anyone know???))
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
ilikestrawberryjello
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by momyshaver View Post
I hadnt come across that website before. I really enjoyed reading through some of the recipes. I hadn't heard of blueberry butter before but hey...why not, right?

I was sort of wondering (because I am tired and lazy feeling) if I could use organic, frozen cherries to make jam... you know...b/c they would already be pitted, etc. ((Anyone know???))

oooh, I have no idea, but let me know! That sounds wonderful (and easy!)
Old 07-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

StrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond repute

So glad to hear it was easy! I just got the itch to can a bunch of stuff before baby comes..and I have never canned a thing in my life! I'm happy this wasn't an "ah what a disaster" thread
StrangeTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote