Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
elohcin
Rose Bouquet

elohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud of
Exclamation Any techy gals here? Email hacked, security ?'s changed...

Ok, so my MIL has always used a Mac email address for her primary email (they have only ever had Mac computers for the last 15ish years). Well, last week she noticed she couldn't get into her email. So she called and tried to get it reset (after all failed attempts at doing so online) and couldn't answer any of her security questions correctly- SHE was giving the correct answers, but apparently her answers had already been changed by the hacker. So they said they could send a new password to her alternate email address, which was a Hotmail account. She went to that account and it has been hacked too, apparently in Taiwan since that's the language it is all in now when she goes to it. Security questions there were changed, too.

She has made numerous attempts with Apple to fix this and they've basically told her there's nothing else they can do because they can't verify her identity. She even asked if she could go into her Apple store and verify that in person (LOL) and they said no. She is so frustrated tha they're basing their security on a system that is NOT secure. She even asked to just have the accounts deleted so that she didn't have to worry as much about hackers getting into any other accounts and accessing any personal or financial information that way, and they won't even do that.

Is this REALLY how it ends? She's been a paying customer for Apple for years, too. But she has no idea what to do about this. My FIL is really concerned too but neither of them have any idea how to go about fixing this since the Mac people are basically saying "tough cookies."
11 very loved babies in Heaven
elohcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any techy gals here? Email hacked, security ?'s changed...

Wow, that is horrible. I don't know anything about Mac but hopefully someone who does will see this.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
elohcin (11-10-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

that doesn't seem right and it doesn't seem like the CS Apple is known for Did she have anything set up with her phone? They could verify the phone number. There have to be other ways to verify her
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
elohcin (11-10-2013), knitlove (11-10-2013), Rabbit (11-11-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Here is some informational sites:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403134,00.asp

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22846061#22846061
Not much help, but maybe you will find something in this forum.

My pages:
elohcin (11-10-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

And my guess is her Apple account was able to be hacked because her hotmail account was hacked. I cannot imagine how else they could have hacked an Apple account - it really is a secure system (half the time I need help getting into my own account ) But if she had emails with info about her account in the hotmail account they might have used that

I hope someone with more tech knowledge can help.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
elohcin (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
elohcin
Rose Bouquet

elohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
that doesn't seem right and it doesn't seem like the CS Apple is known for Did she have anything set up with her phone? They could verify the phone number. There have to be other ways to verify her
She did not have anything set up with her phone, as she didn't want her number available...and obviously for good reason now! LOL And you know, I wonder if it would even have mattered, because couldn't they have just changed that right away too??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
Here is some informational sites:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403134,00.asp

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22846061#22846061
Not much help, but maybe you will find something in this forum.
Thank you! Those are the ones I looked at last night too but so far nothing that she hasn't tried.

Quote:
And my guess is her Apple account was able to be hacked because her hotmail account was hacked. I cannot imagine how else they could have hacked an Apple account - it really is a secure system (half the time I need help getting into my own account ) But if she had emails with info about her account in the hotmail account they might have used that

I hope someone with more tech knowledge can help.
This is exactly what I thought- that it originated from her hotmail account. Which stinks because they want an alternate email for security and she did what she was advised to do, you know?

It's a bummer because we get what Apple is saying- that they can't guaruntee she is who she says she is since she doesn't provide them the NOW correct info since it's been changed. BUT that's hardly fair in this situation, and with her being a loyal Apple customer for so many years you'd think they'd be able to- or at least ATTEMPT to- do something!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

I would have her escalate it to supervisors and managers and to whoever can help her and not stop until they do
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
elohcin (11-10-2013), Rabbit (11-11-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
Michele123
Rose Trellis

Michele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have her make an appointment at the Genius Bar and see what they say. Have her bring a photo ID just in case that will help, as well as any receipts she has that show her Apple ID and/or Apple products she has purchased. It's a shot in the dark but they might be able to at least advise her.

If that doesn't work, wrote her story up, including everything you tried to do to resolve this and Apple's response (along with date/time of conversation and rep she spoke with) and send it into MacWorld. They can either advise her and/or put the pressure on Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ENFJ, please excuse my stream of consciousness posts.

Battled infertility for 3 1/2 years before DD (PCOS)
TTC #2 for 6 months (3 ovulations)

Married to DH since Aug 2004
DD born Feb 2012
DS born May 2014
#3 due Aug 2016
Michele123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michele123 For This Useful Post:
elohcin (11-10-2013), Hermana Linda (11-10-2013), Rabbit (11-11-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I cannot imagine how else they could have hacked an Apple account - it really is a secure system
I would have thought the opposite. I don't have a Mac, but my understanding is that Apple is one of the more insecure places to have your credit card number on file because their security is so lax, and there's no recourse if that gets hacked - but iTunes requires you to keep that information on file to maintain an account.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
elohcin (11-10-2013), Rabbit (11-11-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
elohcin
Rose Bouquet

I do know that when she switched to Mac in the years past, it was because they supposedly had better security. But obviously it's hit or miss now. She also doesn't have an itunes account, but I'm assuming her mac email address is still related to her apple i.d. right?

Thanks everyone!! Will update if she figures this out!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
LovinBeingMommy
Rose Garden

The many faces of Monkey

LovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

If the mac address is what she set up her Apple ID with, yes, it's still connected. If her credit card is connected to the ID, she needs to contact her credit card company. She'll probably have to get a new number to protect her from charges.

My brother went through this. I'll see if he can remember what he ended up doing. His started with his alternate email being hacked. He discovered that was hacked, then the next day couldn't get into his Apple account. I'm pretty positive he has the same account now, though, so he must have fixed it. (He had hundreds of dollars in apps and games on his iTunes account.)

Most definitely INFJ

Be my friend?!
(Just let me know you're a GCM )
LovinBeingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LovinBeingMommy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (11-10-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Does having different passwords for accounts prevent this kind of thing from happening (where one hacked account gives access to other accounts), or not really?
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Not really if one account is linked to another. They just click on the forgot password link and reset it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

My pages:
Leslie (11-11-2013)