Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Beverages *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
jenn3514
Rose Garden

Be assured, God is in the details.

jenn3514 has disabled reputation
Default Kefir grains

I'm so excited! I was finally able to contact someone about a raw milk co-op. The order is coming next week and I ordered kefir grains. We kefir. But I don't know what to do with the grains. Could someone please help me with that?
jenn3514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kefir grains

This is the definitive site about kefir. It can be a bit daunting though so just keep in mind he likes to get really scientific about it but it truly is a simple process.

Here's my basic process: I put anywhere from 1 tsp. to 1 TBSP. of kefir grains to 1 cup of milk. I place it all in a glass jar and cover it with a cotton cloth held in place with a rubber band. I let it set 1-2 days in summer (or even just overnight) to 2-3 days in winter. I want it thick but not separating. I strain either using my fingers to separate out the grains or with a fine mesh plastic strainer. I put the grains in fresh milk and refrigerate the strained liquid until I'm ready to use it. It keeps almost indefinitely.
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damselfly For This Useful Post:
jenn3514 (06-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I used some dried grains got from a HFS - are those any good? Thanks Jenny for the simplified instructions

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

Jenny once you are ready to make some kefir what do you do then with that starter milk.Wuld you mind telling us from there? I usually make a quart at a time

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
I used some dried grains got from a HFS - are those any good? Thanks Jenny for the simplified instructions

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

Jenny once you are ready to make some kefir what do you do then with that starter milk.Wuld you mind telling us from there? I usually make a quart at a time
The dried grains can work. It just takes longer because not all of them will live and it takes a while to get them healthy. I've never reconstituted dried grains myself but I believe the site I shared has the information about how to do it.

I'm not quite understanding the second question. Do you mean the starter milk from the very first time you make kefir or starter milk when the kefir has been stored in the fridge in milk for a while? I just leave a small amount of kefir grains working on the cabinet at all times. If I get too many grains I compost them, eat them or share them.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
jenn3514
Rose Garden

Thank you!
Dumb question- but do you keep it on the counter? I think I(no kids) could go through a quart every couple of days- will you get more grains naturally, or should I order more?

ETA- We posted at the same time- you answered my questions!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I meant once you have that cup of inoculated milk then how much of that do you add to more milk to make kefir or is that the kefir and you just make a cup at a time?

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Here is what I have been doing - dissolving one packet of dried grains in one cup of milk then adding to a quart of milk and letting that sit for about 24 hrs and then drinking it all I havent been straining but guess it isnt a bad thing to drink the grains? I will get this right some time

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn3514 View Post
Thank you!
Dumb question- but do you keep it on the counter? I think I(no kids) could go through a quart every couple of days- will you get more grains naturally, or should I order more?
The grains will multiply naturally but they go through cycles so sometimes they will grow faster than others.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
I meant once you have that cup of inoculated milk then how much of that do you add to more milk to make kefir or is that the kefir and you just make a cup at a time?

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Here is what I have been doing - dissolving one packet of dried grains in one cup of milk then adding to a quart of milk and letting that sit for about 24 hrs and then drinking it all I havent been straining but guess it isnt a bad thing to drink the grains? I will get this right some time
I'm wondering if you have a dried kefir "starter" that isn't really the grains. I know they sell those and they will only make about six batches before it is no longer active. I think you would take a cup from your quart and use that for the next batch but I've never used those starters so I'm not for sure on that. The actual dried grains shouldn't be a powder. I think they are supposed to look more like the fresh grains only more yellow, smaller and more translucent. Hopefully that helps you determine which you have.

And no, if you are eating the grains it won't hurt you. I've done it many times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Damselfly For This Useful Post:
jenn3514 (06-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
lenswyf
Rose Garden

lenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond repute

When you have your kefir culture going, it will multiply as time goes by so that your smaller amounts of milk thicken more and more quickly, or you can add more milk to make your kefir on a regular schedule. I was making a quart of finished kefir every dayat one point.
jenn3514 (06-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
jenn3514
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenswyf View Post
or you can add more milk to make your kefir on a regular schedule. I was making a quart of finished kefir every dayat one point.
This is where I would like to get to. We like it over whatever hot cereal we are eating, the kids like to add honey, spices, vanilla, pureed fruit and come up with all sorts of drinks.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
jenn3514
Rose Garden

Ack! I need help! I put some grains into milk yesterday afternoon- when I came home from work about 11:30. The jar had a fair size lump of something in it that resembled fresh mozzarella cheese. I shook it and went to bed. This morning I had cottage cheesy looking stuff on top, clear yellow liquid in the center and the bottom was a combo of the two. I set aside the stuff on top, and shook and refrigerated the rest. It is separating the same way.
Maybe my expectations are unrealistic as the only kefir I've had so far has come from a store, homogenized and pastuerized. This is a raw milk product and the actual kefir I bought from them is different (but still good) from what I'm used to. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #11
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

it won't be quite like what you buy in the store, but it sounds like yours is fermenting really fast. how much milk/kefir did you use? how long was it out? and how warm was your house? raw milk does tend to ferment faster then store milk

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #12
jenn3514
Rose Garden

I thought it sounded fast. I used two cups of milk to 1-2 tsp. of grains. (I ordered one- but it looked like a bit more.) The house has been 80-82 degrees, and that particular batch had been out approx 12 hours. This morning after I set aside the top part of the batch, I added 4 cups of milk. It's going slower, but I have seen changes already.
What is the kefir supposed to look like when its ready. Is it ok to just mix it up and drink when it is like that? I was afraid I did something wrong because it's going so fast. Thank you for your help!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

it is fine to drink like that. in summer esp at 80 degree heat you will get the fermenting from the kefir, but also just plain old milk separation, esp with raw milk. when i was doing raw milk it pretty much always separated in the summer.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
jenn3514 (06-12-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
jenn3514
Rose Garden

That makes me feel better- thanks! I wasn't sure if it was ok to drink, or if I should leave it out longer or less time. I'm learning..
Old 06-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

All that happened is the whet separated from.the solids. Happens all time in summer. It makes it a little harder to find the grains but aside from that, no Bobbie. Just shake it really well.

In summer, I often leave my kefir out overnight (when it's cooler) then stick it in the fridge during the day. Some people ferment in the fridge. I don't like the way that turns out at all and the grains are happier at warmer temps.

Kefir is VERY hard to mess up. It can get "off" but it's pretty easy to fix. We've got lots of combined years of kefir brewing on this board so ask away!!

Oh, and soak your oatmeal overnight with half the usual cooking water and a few tablespoons of kefir. In the morning, add the rest of the water and cook (won't take as long). YUMMO!
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
jenn3514 (06-12-2011)