Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 11-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phone and car trackers?

Was debating putting this here or in 9+. What do you think of putting a tracker on your teens phone? or car.

Not sure how I feel about it. I kind of want to and kind of don't. Our parents didn't have the option.

We just got dh's mom's 1999 Oldsmobile for ds1, that's what got me thinking about them again.

He's been allowed to drive to meet friends for lunch and errands with our van or truck. I've driven him to work because he had his restricted license until last week, where he couldn't drive after 8pm. He works at the pizza place until 9 or 10pm.

He has so far been good (as far as we know) in going to the place he has permission for.

Do you have one on your teens phone? Thoughts?
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone and car trackers?

We have iPhones so it's kind of built in. The kids track me all the time. I've never fracked them to see if they are where they are supposed to be but a couple of times I have to see if they are on their way home yet.

I like having it but not as a way to check up on them. I like it for peace of mind of being able to find them in an emergency etc.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-05-2017), Laurlor (11-04-2017), twoplustwo (11-06-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
We have iPhones so it's kind of built in. The kids track me all the time. I've never fracked them to see if they are where they are supposed to be but a couple of times I have to see if they are on their way home yet.

I like having it but not as a way to check up on them. I like it for peace of mind of being able to find them in an emergency etc.

I don't think my kids care. They know I track them so it doesn't feel invasive. They all track their friends too, so it seems like a non-issue. I guess if they aren't doing anything they aren't supposed to be doing, it's just not a big deal . I track DH all the time too just because I want to know how far away he is, etc.
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 07:06 AM   #4
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

In our home, like phones, Trackers are a part of independence of us

I want to be sure they get where they are going (especially during snowstorms or when they go over 45 min away).

I’m not at all concerned they are where they say they will be but about safety. They don’t have to be specific places. When they go with friends, they are allowed to be free range as long as we have a general idea of how long they will be gone.

It’s been helpful for us.

Deleted an odd situation for privacy purposes but we’ve had more .. a phone call from a sibling/passenger w dd1 “mom we think dd1 got on the freeway going the wrong way. Can u track us and let us know?” Etc

Honestly, I’m not sure I’d be handling teen years as well as I hve without trackers.

One thing to tell would be how and why we stArted. When dd was 13 she had older friends who drove and was often wanting to go places alone. We allowed it but required she text upon arrival. She kept losing privileges of riding w friends due to not calling or texting. So we decided a tracker. This allowed me to simply check on her instead of her letting me know she arrived. As she began driving it was the same thing.

I don’t sit at home tracking them. Although in a few really bad snowstorms I did but it’s been a valuable tool.

And it has nothing to do with being where they said they’d be honestly that never even occurred to me I’m concluding like many parenting “tools,” this could be used positively or punitively. The teen years are meant to be a transition into adulthood. They have a parental safety net while functioning independently. I like the trackers as a part of their safety net

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 11-06-2017 at 11:59 AM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-05-2017), knitlove (11-05-2017), Soliloquy (11-05-2017), twoplustwo (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 07:27 AM   #5
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phone and car trackers?

We have iPhones at our house. We use find friends a lot. My 13 year old rides his bike to school and has had freedom to go places as long as we have a general idea of where he is. We live in walking distance to our church. Last week we couldn’t find him. He had walked home after church without telling us he was going home. He did get in trouble for that.

I’m also sharing locations with my parents. It is nice to check it on see if it is a good time to call them or wait.
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-05-2017), twoplustwo (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

The place we're buying our van from uses trackers in case they ever have to repossess their vehicles. They've rarely ever had problems with people paying, but they HAVE recovered stolen vehicles more than once, including a few that were "borrowed" without asking., but also a few that were actually stolen.

It's not THAT common, but I do know someone personally who had a vehicle stolen, and it wasn't found until it had quite a bit of damage from being abandoned with the windows down. So, as rare as that might be, it's kind of comforting to know that you could find your vehicle if it was ever taken. Or towed from parking in the wrong spot.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.

Last edited by Quiteria; 11-05-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

A college aged friend was just showing me the other day this serious tracking app she and her whole family have on their phones. You can see where everyone goes, how long they stay, and even how fast they drive. She was cool with it because she doesn't have anything to hide.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHutch View Post
A college aged friend was just showing me the other day this serious tracking app she and her whole family have on their phones. You can see where everyone goes, how long they stay, and even how fast they drive. She was cool with it because she doesn't have anything to hide.
Our app shows this for 24 hrs but we only have the free version so no histories are kept.

Every since this thread I’ve been thinking of all the pros (like texting our 17.5 yo and asking her to pick up a sibling when I see how close she is to them). We often go 3-4 ways per night and it’s been wonderful way to see who’s where if I forget

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

What apps are you all using? (We have iphones, but I'm a technology illiterate.)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #10
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

We use life 360 because one child has an Android and the rest of us have iPhones. I wanted an app that works for both.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (11-06-2017), Quiteria (11-05-2017), Soliloquy (11-05-2017), ViolaMum (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Dh and I as well as my brother, his wife and my dad all share location in Google plus/ Google maps on our Android phone.

I use it it check that dh made it places or left and if my sad is at home on wifi before I video call him.

It is something that we will do when our girls get phone when they start going places with out us.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #12
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
What apps are you all using? (We have iphones, but I'm a technology illiterate.)
Was wondering this too.

My husband has a Droid, son has iPhone and I have a basic phone.

---------- Post added at 03:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

Doesn't sound like any of you would put it on for the purpose of checking that child is where s/he is supposed to be. Like I said, he has given us no reason to, we allow him to go places and he has been good about being home at the time given. Just me being paranoid.

But I didn't know there was a way to track his iPhone already!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
knitlove (11-06-2017), ViolaMum (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 11:51 PM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I was really happy when DH was able to use the Verizon website to tell me where in Home Depot I'd left my phone.

We will definitely be tracking when our kids start driving. Big cities have their dangers, so do rural mountain areas.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-06-2017), Reva (11-06-2017), tempus vernum (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #14
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
Was wondering this too.

My husband has a Droid, son has iPhone and I have a basic phone.

---------- Post added at 03:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

Doesn't sound like any of you would put it on for the purpose of checking that child is where s/he is supposed to be. Like I said, he has given us no reason to, we allow him to go places and he has been good about being home at the time given. Just me being paranoid.

But I didn't know there was a way to track his iPhone already!
If I had a problem teen (and I feel extremely blessed not to) I may or may not check on them. It may sound dumb but it’s never even occurred to me not to trust them. My eldest isn’t very social and my middle gets driven everywhere still. He’s almost 16.

If I recall correctly, prior to driving you had some lying going on w your son (sorry if I’m mixing u up w someone else?) that might change things. I have a child who’s not driving who isn’t always forthcoming. I may check on that child for the purpose of verifying where they are. I honestly check on them so much cuz my anxiety that they probably have no reason to lie especially w my brain injuries I am so forgetful and I can just open an app and see where they are. They’ve been pretty chill about it because it’s easier than fielding “where are you?” Texts

I honestly just expect them to be where they say they will and when they change plans they tell me. Even if eldest runs an errand I get “stopped at X on way home”

The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #15
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I just realized this is in a public forum (not registered user) so I edited posts for privacy. Please let me know if I said too much about your ds in my last post

Last edited by tempus vernum; 11-06-2017 at 12:00 PM.