Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Pearl In Oyster
Rose Garden

growing every day

Pearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cognitively Ready to Obey?

There was a speaker at my MOPS group this week on "biblical discipline" (aka spanking). At the end, someone asked at what age to start spanking. The speaker said to give a toddler, between the ages of 18 months and 2.5 years, this test:

Parent: "Do you want a popsicle?"
Toddler: "Yes!"
Parent: "OK, go stand by the freezer and wait for me to come get you a popsicle."

According to the speaker, if the toddler goes to wait by the freezer, it means you should expect first time obedience any time you get down on their level to tell them what you want or don't want them to do as long as you follow your instructions with the magic words "I need you to obey me."

That doesn't sound right or fair to me, but I can't quite articulate why. Someone help?

Celebrating resurrection life after a heart transplant on 2/21/15!

Married since 8/28/04 to a big Bear
Mama to sweet & spirited Charlotte , born 9/08, determined & imaginative Zachary , born 6/12, one I'll see in heaven 10/10, and easy-going Elliott , born 4/14!
Pearl In Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
cindergretta
Deactivated

My miracle blessing who brings tears to my eyes!

cindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cognitively Ready to Obey?

Ugh. The reason it makes me ill is because an 18 month old, 2 year old, or a 3 year old, will stand and wait (impatiently for a *brief* time!!) for something that they want. They are motivated by their desire for the popsicle. However, putting their shoes on because you are ready to leave has no motivation to them. They don't care that you have an appointment and there is "nothing in it" (so to speak) for them. Oy! This kind of thing makes me want to have an honest hissy - fit. (And as adults, do we practice first time obedience, all the time???? To God? To our boss? To our spouse? I don't think so!)

(Fwiw, I don't believe in first time obedience for anyone anyway. Long post that I can't face right now as I am exhausted. )
cindergretta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cindergretta For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (10-30-2011), Auroras mom (10-26-2011), Can'tTurnLeft (10-31-2011), dukeofhazzard (10-31-2011), emerald (10-24-2011), Happygrl (10-23-2011), Pearl In Oyster (10-22-2011), rjy9343 (10-26-2011), Starfox (10-27-2011), StoryOfGrace (11-02-2011), SuperDudesMama (11-03-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

Even when a child has the cognitive ability to understand a clear instruction, they still (usually) lack the self-control and impulse control to actually follow a clear instruction that doesn't have a clear "pay off" for them and that they are not intrinsically motivated to follow. It's a fact of brain chemistry and really cannot be considered "willful" disobedience, IMO

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (10-30-2011), breezy88 (10-27-2011), dulce de leche (10-23-2011), emerald (10-24-2011), Happygrl (10-23-2011), hey mommy (10-22-2011), jewelmcjem (10-24-2011), Pearl In Oyster (10-22-2011), rjy9343 (10-26-2011), StoryOfGrace (11-02-2011), SuperDudesMama (11-03-2011), swimming with sharks (10-23-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, what she said.

That sounds like they're setting a child up for failure. It's not fair to the child.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hey mommy For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (10-23-2011), StoryOfGrace (11-02-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
WildFlower
Banned

WildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond repute

like barefootbetsy said...

for a child that age there isn't any motivation to obey except, when you finally start spanking, then there is the motivation of fear. So just because they will wait for something they "want" they should obey every and all command and be able to do so? That's just ridiculous.
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Well my 19mo doesn't know what a popsicle is but she is really hit or miss on understanding instructions. Sometimes she gets it really well- sometimes when I think she will, she really doesn't. She's just getting old enough for me to bother giving her instructions she might obey if she feels like it. If not, I just gomb and help her. I don't even get mad about it (like I do with my 4yo ). I can't imagine expecting a child that young to obey or punishing them for not obeying. At this age, her "consequences" are only to make sure she doesn't hurt herself, others, or things. So if she won't hold my hand in the parking lot I pick her up. But I don't require her to pick up her toys (though I do encourage her to- if she doesn't feel like it- no biggie). If she drops something on the floor I ask her to pick it up. If she doesn't, I do it and say "xyz doesn't go on the floor" I just can't fathom spanking, or even punishing, an 18mo!!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (10-23-2011), sherry (10-26-2011), WildFlower (10-23-2011), Zooey (10-25-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

That's stupid. Sometimes Lucca wants to go outside so I ask her to bring me her shoes. Sometimes she gets them and helps me put them on her. Sometimes she even brings me my shoes. If she only brings me one is that "willful disobedience"? How about when she brings them but then runs to the door before I can put them on? That's not disobedience, it's immaturity. It's being a child and really really wanting something. In the Popsicle scenario, how long does the child have to wait in order to prove obedience? What if one day the child really wants one so waits but the next time is already full and says yes just because yes is the obvious answer for a treat but doesn't really want one and so decides that waiting isn't worth it? That's quite a bit of thought and some good decision-making. Doing what you're told in order to get what you want requires very little self control. Almost anyone can do that. I'm excellent at that. Doing what you're told because it's the right thing to do is much harder.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (10-30-2011), BarefootBetsy (10-23-2011), dulce de leche (10-23-2011), rjy9343 (10-26-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

A child of that level of understanding is ready to understand the behavioral training that will follow in that home. Cue words "I need you to obey me" invoke the required action, or punishment. Punishment will train the child to respond to the cue words, if the child is vulnerable to that form of control.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
MaybeGracie (10-23-2011), rjy9343 (10-26-2011), SuperDudesMama (11-03-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

And I know this is a younger age, but I think it's a good example of the problem with imposing arbitrary physical punishment. Dr Sears references on his site a study that showed that 14 month olds whose hands were slapped showed less initiation than their redirected peers in exploring the world around them several months later. The study showed that not only did the physical punishments stop the undesired behavior, but they stopped similar good behavior. I do think that can be extrapolated to an 18-24 month old. Just because they can understand that specific request doesn't mean that they will be able to apply an unrelated pain to a broader set of parameters. It will either shut them down, as shown in the aforementioned study, or they will not be able to associate one command with a new situation.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (10-24-2011), Virginia (10-23-2011), Zooey (10-25-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
WalkByFaith
Deactivated

WalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to allWalkByFaith is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Well my 19mo doesn't know what a popsicle is but she is really hit or miss on understanding instructions. Sometimes she gets it really well- sometimes when I think she will, she really doesn't. She's just getting old enough for me to bother giving her instructions she might obey if she feels like it.
I still feel this way with my 2 year old. There are times when he seems to "get it" once and there are other times I can see that he's processing and trying to understand what I'm saying.
WalkByFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
bolt.
Rose Trellis

bolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Even when a child has the cognitive ability to understand a clear instruction, they still (usually) lack the self-control and impulse control to actually follow a clear instruction that doesn't have a clear "pay off" for them and that they are not intrinsically motivated to follow.
Yes, it means exactly what the 'speaker' says it means -- that the child is cognitively able to understand a clear instruction, and that s/he has the ability to choose to do what will lead towards something s/he desires.

Then, any program of consistent dis-incentives will be successful in controlling the child. At least they are smart enough to realize that dis-incentive training won't be successful, before that point.

Child understands command.
Child grasps that non-pain results from following command.
Child grasps that pain results from not following command.
Child follows command.

Easy-peasy.

Non-pain is a clear pay-off. It's just not as nice as non-pain plus a Popsicle.

Pam, 35 yo
Christian for 20 y
Married for 15 y
Mother to "J" 8 yo, and "M" 5 yo
INTJ, DYT 4, Canadian
1 more class until I'm done at Seminary
Adjunct Faculty at a Bible College
bolt. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bolt. For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (10-24-2011), breezy88 (11-02-2011)
The Following User Says they are praying for bolt.:
WildFlower (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
sherry
Rose Blossom

sherry is just really nicesherry is just really nicesherry is just really nicesherry is just really nicesherry is just really nice

I agree with everything said above, wholeheartedly. there is a big part that gets left out of the equation, though, when trying to use any conditioning techniques on kids (any age). The same process is also happening to the parent. We are still learning and adapting as adults too. Only in this case, its not the most helpful learning. i.e. the parent expects a response that just isn't going to happen consistently. If that parent is following a really punitive mindset/action set, the actions that follow will "train up" the parents future responses as much as the child's. It can leave parents without the skills or flexibility to deal with real life kids, the ones that don't obey every time.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sherry For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (10-30-2011), dulce de leche (10-27-2011), Llee (11-04-2011), Pearl In Oyster (10-27-2011), Tasmanian Saint (10-27-2011), WalkByFaith (10-27-2011), Zooey (10-30-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
Pearl In Oyster
Rose Garden

growing every day

Pearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond repute

That is an insightful point, Sherry. Beyond the adversarial mindset or "goggles" one must put on to be constantly looking for instances of disobedience, defiance and disrespect that warrant a spanking, the actual process of conditioning a child with physical punishment provides a parent with intermittent rewards (after all, every kid will obey *sometimes* and gradually grow out of age appropriate behaviors), which are the most powerful kind of reinforcement there is!

The short-term results of spanking can mislead parents into continuing a practice that actually can damage relationships and spirits over the long term.

Celebrating resurrection life after a heart transplant on 2/21/15!

Married since 8/28/04 to a big Bear
Mama to sweet & spirited Charlotte , born 9/08, determined & imaginative Zachary , born 6/12, one I'll see in heaven 10/10, and easy-going Elliott , born 4/14!
Pearl In Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pearl In Oyster For This Useful Post:
Zooey (10-30-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #14
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
I agree with everything said above, wholeheartedly. there is a big part that gets left out of the equation, though, when trying to use any conditioning techniques on kids (any age). The same process is also happening to the parent. We are still learning and adapting as adults too. Only in this case, its not the most helpful learning. i.e. the parent expects a response that just isn't going to happen consistently. If that parent is following a really punitive mindset/action set, the actions that follow will "train up" the parents future responses as much as the child's. It can leave parents without the skills or flexibility to deal with real life kids, the ones that don't obey every time.
This is very true and explains the death of at least 2 adopted children.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:49 AM   #15
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
This is very true and explains the death of at least 2 adopted children.
This.