Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #61
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: October Dinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
I am madly in love with my immersion blender. It's CRAZY the amount of things I can throw in a soup and blend and the kids remain absolutely clueless about the amazing things that they are unknowingly eating.
What a great tip! I'm going to look into getting one....THANKS!!
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (10-18-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #62
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I love my immersion blender for soups too.

Tonight I made shepherd's pie.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 01:57 AM   #63
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Fwiw, I bought my immersion blender at a garage sale for 25 cents. They are one of those kitchen gadgets that many aspiring cooks buy, never use, then throw in their garage sales for pennies. So keep your eyes open and you may snag a deal.

My best immersion blender tip is that I regularly cook beans (usually navy beans) in with soups or gravies, then blend. It gives the base a nice thickened consistency without the traditional additives of starch or flours. PLUS beans have amazing nutritional value.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (10-18-2016), Laurlor (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #64
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmamy View Post
Tomato pie leftovers tonight Last one of the season. I made it Saturday--DH rolled out the crust for me :melt --and so there are four slices left, perfect for dinner again tonight. Last one of the season.

Have you ever tried this with green tomatoes? (We've got gobs we had to pick from the garden. Just trying to figure out what to do with them and that looks SO GOOD!)

Last night was spanakopita and lemon baked chicken.

Can't figure out tonight.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #65
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
Have you ever tried this with green tomatoes? (We've got gobs we had to pick from the garden. Just trying to figure out what to do with them and that looks SO GOOD!)
Why not just let them sit on the counter until they ripen? We have gobs from our garden too and that's my plan.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #66
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

crockpot pork and apples

I have this going right now. I added a chopped sweet potato and I only used a drizzle of honey. It smells really good! It seems like it would be easy to convert for IP too.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #67
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Why not just let them sit on the counter until they ripen? We have gobs from our garden too and that's my plan.
Well, I could. They're completely, totally, deeply green, though and I just think the flavor isn't nearly as good when they ripen from this state as when they ripen on the vine. (We picked them because of a frost.) And I have boxes of them. I'll probably ripen some of them, but I have enough to make at least a couple batches of pickalilly (if only the hubs would actually eat pickalilly!)

In the past I've done them roasted and fried. I've been wanting to make pie crust lately too, so I suppose that weighs in.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (10-19-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #68
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Roasted chicken sausages with sauerkraut and fingerling potatoes, beets, cinnamon sauteed apples.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #69
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight we had Pasta with Spicy Sausage, Baby Spinach and Creamy Butternut Sauce and a harvest salad. Another Skinnytaste.com recipe . So yummy!
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #70
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
No, I hate green tomatoes! And they are so sour, I would think you'd need to add sugar and it would be more like a fruity pie. I can't imagine it would be good if you just swapped green ones into this recipe. Blech. But I *can* imagine you could make some sort of more traditional fruit pie with green ones. Maybe.

We had tuna noodle casserole last night - one of those comfort foods from my childhood. Though I don't use my mom's recipe...I do it from scratch and add peas and it's way better

Tonight is vegetable beef soup. Which is unfortunate because it's 87 degrees here ...but I have to take a meal to a new mom tomorrow and tomorrow *will* be great soup weather.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 06:25 AM   #71
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I love tuna noodle casserole. I hardly ever make it because when we were newlyweds it was one of about four meals in my rotation, and my dh asked if I would please not make it for a while. . I've probably made it about twice since then.

Yesterday before I left the house I realized I hadn't thought about dinner, so I dumped frozen chicken tenders and most of a bottle of honey bbq sauce into the crock pot. Six hours later I took a minute to shred it, cooked some rice to put it over and some pre-cut broccoli, and voila, dinner was actually pretty good.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
schmamy (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #72
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Orange salmon, rice, broccoli and cauliflower with arugula pesto

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 10-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #73
2sunshines

Last night was immune boosting chicken broth made in the IP.

Then turned in to chicken veggie soup.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
charla (10-20-2016), schmamy (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #74
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow is DS2's birthday, and he had more than one request for birthday meals So tonight is mac n cheese and roasted Brussels sprouts. Tomorrow is lasagna soup.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #75
charla
Administrator

Stoplight chicken (I made homemade Italian dressing for the marinade), mashed potatoes, Parmesan zucchini rounds, tossed salad (lettuce, tomato, black olive, cucumber, pepperoncini, homemade Italian dressing)

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save