Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:37 AM   #31
Teribear
Deactivated

Teribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are some of your reasons to HS?

Quote:
Memphis City Schools Promotes Reading: Read 2 books a month: thats 25 in a year!
This is an actual banner hanging in the top public high school in Memphis right now. I'd say that qualifies as a reason to homeschool.
Teribear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teribear For This Useful Post:
Mokek Kwe (09-11-2011)
Old 09-23-2005, 09:02 AM   #32
mykidsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teribear
Quote:
Memphis City Schools Promotes Reading: Read 2 books a month: thats 25 in a year!
This is an actual banner hanging in the top public high school in Memphis right now. I'd say that qualifies as a reason to homeschool.
Fuzzy Math....
Old 09-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #33
Miss Priss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teribear
Quote:
Oh my! My dd's read 25 in two months, at least.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:03 AM   #34
Roma
Deactivated

Roma is on a distinguished road

well we're talking about it and i'm excited thinking it might happen now...in addition to what others said:

1. so much wasted time in class - i taught in public and private and even the best teacher can't avoid waisted time which goes up a lot with a higher student:teacher ratio. the local catholic schools have 30-35 kids in a class and i think that is awful. i know i could teach a K-1 curriculum in half the time they do at school.

2. they send home way too much redunant busy work homework.

3. K-1 dosn't allow for kids to progress at their own pace anymore. kids who aren't ready to learn phonics right away end up in the bottom and stay there.

4. money. we won't do public down here. they are awful. catholic schools are ranging from 3500-4000 for elem. not counting books, fees, never ending fundraisers, supplies, uniforms, etc.........

5. my DH works late, so by the time he gets home they'd hardly see him. this way they don't have to get up super early and be in bed super early.

6. the siblings would know each other so well and spend time together

7. money we save on tuiton could be use for exciting family trips where they see things in person in stead of in a book (and we could take them any time of the year we wanted)
Roma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #35
Soaring Eagle
Deactivated

Soaring Eagle has a spectacular aura aboutSoaring Eagle has a spectacular aura aboutSoaring Eagle has a spectacular aura about

This is a great question! I have been asking a couple people who I know will HS and so this is perfect. My daughter is only 2 years old but I am considering HS and so this is great to find out why others are doing it.
Soaring Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #36
Love

So many of the good ones have been taken! :P

Here is one I don't think was mentioned. Before becoming a Christian, I was visiting a good friend. We both were very new moms and she asked me if I ever thought about HSing. I hadn't. She said she was going to and started talking about it. I realized here I was holding this little boy, who I was APing to the max 24/7, respecting him so much in every way.... No WAY was I going to suddenly make him ask permission to pee from a complete stranger- just because he had turned five!

I wanted him to be raised with basic human dignity.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
november (02-16-2011)
Old 01-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #37
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I am so blessed to have found this thread and forum. My son is only 1 1/2 but I have been thinking about homeschooling for many of the reasons previously mentioned.

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #38
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I taught public school for 9 years (grades 2-4). The year I was teaching 3rd grade with 22 students, everything was my responsibility (no pull out classes or anything like that) and I had the smartest boy in the grade (no kidding, an IQ of 180) and the most LD kid in the grade (IQ less than 70) and the rest of the 22 kids were in the middle. And I was supposed to meet all of their needs. One teacher, 22 different sets of learning needs. How was I supposed to do that? Not to mention teaching to the test. It was an impossible situation and the kids were the losers- all of them, imo. That was before I had any real discipline problems a couple of years later to further convince me that homeschooling was what I wanted to do.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #39
mambug

Thank you all so much for you input on HS, our child is very young and we have one on the way but it's something we are thinking about. I'll keep researching and listening....
Old 03-18-2006, 11:37 AM   #40
apmommyto4

1. I want dh and I to be the primary influences in their lives-not 30 other children from all different walks of life, and 1 teacher that we don't really know much about.
2. I want to be able to pay attention to their character, and help them in little areas that I might have missed if I only saw them a few hours a day.
3. I enjoy being with them and want to be there for their 1st time doing things as much as possible, and love to see their faces when the *get it*!
4. I want them to be immersed in the love of the Lord, and totally saturated with the things of Him all during the day (Bible, talking about Him, music, etc) and they can't do that in a school setting.
5. I don't want them exposed to "tolerance" programs, "family life" programs, "evolution" materials, etc., until I feel that they are ready for them, and then I want to teach them the issues from a Godly perspective.
6. Violence, bullying, and bad language in the classroom on a daily basis, on any given day, in any school.
7. I want to prepare our children for *life*-teach my children, boys and girls, to cook, sew, take care of children, run a home, clean, etc, by the time they graduate from high school.
8.I enjoy learning with them. It's fun to do projects with them and explore their reading literature with them! I like being able to customize their schoolwork to their little personality and interests that God has given them.
9. Most of all, I want them to be strong in their relationship with Jesus, and I can't encourage them in this if they're gone from me for so long.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:20 PM   #41
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

--Homeschooling more easily facilitates parents as disciplers of their children because of the amount of time spent together. I believe parents should be the primary influence. I don't want a bunch of same age children telling my kids how to act. :/ (Hold Onto Your Kids is a good book about why peer orientation is a bad thing)

--My kids don't have to move at the exact same pace as everyone else in school. I was bored so much in school because we had to go slow enough for the people who needed it.

--School is such a time waste. Research shows they only accomplish a couple hours worth of education in the 7 hours they are there... 7 hours + time to travel there and back.

--Speaking of time, I want my kids to have time to really play and enjoy nature and not have to sit there all day

--I love how education flows naturally from our real life rather than sectioned off to something they do elsewhere with other people. 'So what did you do at school today?' becomes an unnecessary question, and thankfully so.

--I want my kids to be close to each other and have a real relationship rather than just give each other the leftovers after a long day at school with their "friends." Family is a relationship that stays with you for life (in most circumstances) and that makes it important to me.

--I don't think 5 and 6 year olds are emotionally and socially mature enough to be on their own in social situations without their parents.

I love how my first post on here my oldest was 1.5 and now he's approaching 5 so I changed my answer to reflect some of our journey since then.

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

Last edited by illinoismommy; 10-03-2009 at 11:34 AM.
illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to illinoismommy For This Useful Post:
Littledisciples (08-28-2009), Maggie (09-05-2009)
Old 04-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #42
HA

We chose to homeschool because we believe this is what God wants as the best choice for the children.
They can work at their own pace. There is always that issue out there that always comes up about socializing and how does the children
spend time with other children their age? They do socialize. By getting involved in local homeschooling groups, meeting new people, getting involved in the local church where other families have children and finding out that other people there have some of the same likes and beliefs that you do.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:00 PM   #43
Littledisciples
Rose Garden

My sweet girls who have given me strength to endure

Littledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond repute

Loved hearing the replies, I just decided this this school year with my kindergardener. Number one reason is children at the public school were way to sexual and totaly inapropriate. I cherish my DD inocennce and would like to preserve that. Now reading what you all say makes so much sense and we want to homeschool our kids new to the scene of it and not sure my exact reasons but the number one reason it feels right in my heart.

Points I do like.
I can incorprate God anytime in our lesson plans like on our History Day we learned about the Crusifixtion of Jesus and by Easter Sunday We knew the story. I can teach them that Abraham Lincoln Prayed before he worked and show them how our country was founded on God. Love that.

My DD and I can go out and look for bugs for science and come back in and read about them.

For reading we can read what ever books we want and not worry their christian.

For worksheets and the like I can have her do them and on days she is not interested we do more hands on things.

I like the idea of not forcing her to sit still and learn from workbooks she can have more hands on, life experience learning style.

She can have friends from Church and around the nieghborhood and we can socialize plenty we go to the store, the park, the library.

I love the fact that she don't have to compete with the most popular kids for what she wears. I got her a few things from a yard sale today and she was like cool. Even if the pants had a bit of hole she said "That's ok who cares if they have a little hole" No influence in the fashion department love that.

Mom of Kayla 2000, Katie 2001 and Kira 2004
Step Mom of B girl 1995, S girl 1998, J boy 2001, J girl 2002, M girl 2002, K girl 2003, S girl 2004

Grandma to J Dec 2014, J May 2017, G November 2018

Sometimes our life is crazy but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Resting with Jesus Seth, Mercy, Love, Serenity, Hope, Whisper and Clare bear
Littledisciples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #44
Moon

The really short version:

We simply see no reason to stop doing what we've always done just because our kids have reached an arbitrary age that declares them ready to sit in a desk and be spoon fed their education.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:03 AM   #45
JavaMama
Rose Garden

JavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon
The really short version:

We simply see no reason to stop doing what we've always done just because our kids have reached an arbitrary age that declares them ready to sit in a desk and be spoon fed their education.
Homebirthing mama and midwife

Always remembering my youngest brother JK, forever 14 months old
JavaMama is offline   Reply With Quote