Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #16
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "The Joy of Less"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
I hoarded fabric, paper, books, curios for my kids for the very reason you state. Now that my homeschooling days are coming to end, I feel like I'm returning to my "small living" roots. It's been really easy discarding most of the stuff I hung onto for them. What's hard is the memories -- deciding how many digital pictures to save. I don't want so many thousands of pictures that the thought of looking at them is an overwhelming burden, but it's really, really hard to part with even the mediocre snapshots.
I made a photo book with our year in review. I take a lot. It's 8 X 10 and 100 pages long. It's an inch thick.

I don't think it matters how many you keep if they are organized in some way. I use google picasa, so they can be tagged. Tagging is ah-may-zing for organization.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #17
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorta-ish-wanna-be on this road, too. I've sold quite a bit of stuff, donated several large rubbermaid totes of stuff already, and have 2 or 3 more that have been sitting in the garage for months. But I've learned since my first big donation about how charities sell clothes to poor countries and it's destroying their economies, and I don't feel good about just dropping stuff off at Goodwill like I used to. Maybe I could donate the stuff but I'd like to try to find a way to donate the clothes directly to a person or clothes closet. And that's why I haven't done anything with the stuff for months.

After coming home from a few days at our parents' house, I'm feeling REALLY good about our own lack of clutter, but there is still so much I could get rid of.

I know most people get into spring cleaning, but in the spring I just want to be outside instead of cleaning. But something about the impending claustrophobia of winter makes me declutter like crazy every fall.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #18
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHutch View Post
I am sorta-ish-wanna-be on this road, too. I've sold quite a bit of stuff, donated several large rubbermaid totes of stuff already, and have 2 or 3 more that have been sitting in the garage for months. But I've learned since my first big donation about how charities sell clothes to poor countries and it's destroying their economies, and I don't feel good about just dropping stuff off at Goodwill like I used to. Maybe I could donate the stuff but I'd like to try to find a way to donate the clothes directly to a person or clothes closet. And that's why I haven't done anything with the stuff for months.

After coming home from a few days at our parents' house, I'm feeling REALLY good about our own lack of clutter, but there is still so much I could get rid of.

I know most people get into spring cleaning, but in the spring I just want to be outside instead of cleaning. But something about the impending claustrophobia of winter makes me declutter like crazy every fall.
Oh, interesting. I prefer to do all my decluttering in the winter when there is nothing else to do!
Old 11-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #19
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a fall cleaner too. After 6 months of snow I want to be outside, not inside cleaning. I also relate to what you said about donating to goodwill etc. I just got off the phone talking about the same thing. I want to fill a need not just get rid of stuff but it's hard to connect to people that really need things. Most people are just scammers who turn right around and resell.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #20
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

womens and homeless shelters are great places to donate clothes. also callin schools and saying i have a bag of this size clothes is there someone you could think of to get them to (u drop off at school and then school gives to kid/family

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (12-02-2015), Mother of Sons (11-30-2015), rjy9343 (12-02-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #21
LikeQuietDreams
Rose Trellis

fka Sweetbelly :)

LikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond repute

I strive to live a minimalist lifestyle. I love The Joy of Less.

Wifey to my always thinking, sarcastic, librarian, INFJ hubby. (10/2007) "So, I've been thinking..."
Loving mama to my energetic, compassionate, and BIG feelings having ds "I" (01/2009) "You're going to be okay, little plant."
and my easy-going though slightly demanding, tough bulldozer, ds "H". (09/2011) "Hey! Hey! HEEEY!"

I'm blogging!
LikeQuietDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:59 AM   #22
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

See......if I'm honest......the word "minimalist" has always conjured up ideas of cold, stark, empty spaces But we need to do a clean out here over the Christmas holidays so maybe I should have a look into those books etc.

Anyone game enough to show me what their living rooms look like?
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (12-02-2015), WanderingJuniper (12-17-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #23
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy2boys View Post
See......if I'm honest......the word "minimalist" has always conjured up ideas of cold, stark, empty spaces But we need to do a clean out here over the Christmas holidays so maybe I should have a look into those books etc.

Anyone game enough to show me what their living rooms look like?
This is mine. We have since gotten rid of the desk (with the magazines and lamp on top), the ottoman, and the magazine holder. I could take a new picture but it is a mess right now from my decluttering.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (12-02-2015), Elibellamiah (12-02-2015), mummy2boys (12-03-2015), rjy9343 (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #24
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I'll take a pic of my living room in a bit. You should definitely read the book. She talks about keeping only the things you use and need AND things that bring you joy. So minimalism is not entirely about only having completely functional things. If a picture on the wall is one that you love, and brings you joy seeing it, then it deserves a place in your minimalist home.

For example, I have a bunch of indoor plants in my living room. Even though they are not directly "useful" they do bring me great joy (and clean my air, so definitely partly useful) so they will remain in my aspiring minimalist home.

Last edited by 2sunshines; 12-02-2015 at 12:03 PM.
2sunshines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
TraceMama (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #25
Leslie
Rose Garden

Genteel Princess Mollie

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy2boys View Post
See......if I'm honest......the word "minimalist" has always conjured up ideas of cold, stark, empty spaces
And that sounds so . . . restful.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leslie For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #26
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I want to add that my living room is much browner than I would like it to be, but I didn't do that on purpose. So it's not mandatory for minimalism.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #27
ECingMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Oh, I want to add that my living room is much browner than I would like it to be, but I didn't do that on purpose. So it's not mandatory for minimalism.
Do your kids play in this room or is it for adults only? (we had an adults only room growing up)
Old 12-03-2015, 12:25 AM   #28
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Erin. Your living room does not look like my descriptions at all
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:31 AM   #29
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try to get one of mine soon. I like my living room a lot, but it's in rearrange-the-furniture-to-put-up-the-tree chaos right now.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #30
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

We had an interesting opportunity this past year. Because of the flooding in our area, people lost many things - some vital, some not so vital. One thing my mother's church is doing is gathering Christmas decorations. It's something we take for granted and not vital by any measure, but still probably salt in the wounds of those whose lives have been turned upside down. This is also something I've been wanting very much to reduce at my house. This situation allowed me to donate nice, usable items to people who could use them without feeling like I was just adding to some thrift stores pile of 'stuff'.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (12-04-2015), ECingMama (12-04-2015), TraceMama (12-04-2015)