Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:06 PM   #16
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is your best advice for a new homeschooler?

Don't worry about curriculum, workbooks, or anything "school-ish" right now.

Allow plenty of time - at least two months - for deschooling to occur. Even if your child has never been to school, you probably have.

Relax, enjoy the time together, play and explore your community! Rather than re-create school at home, turn the world into your classroom!

Invest in some wonderful art supplies.

Seek out local play and support groups and look for the gentle, relaxed mamas and children when you get there.

Check out all the amazing resources in your neighborhood: libraries, museums, co-ops, support groups, playgrounds, parks, nature centers, wildlife rehabs, forests, beaches, it's endlessly delightful through a child's eyes!

Don't feel like you have to "do" school or lessons or anything that others are inevitably going to ask you about. Just smile and tell them you're both enjoying the adventure and learning lots along the way. You don't owe anyone proof of anything.

Remember that you will never, ever have this special time with your child again. Children grow up quickly and then before you realize what's happened, they're off in the world on their own.

Savor every moment.

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleButterfly For This Useful Post:
joyinthejourney (10-24-2010)
Old 10-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #17
slingmamaof4
Rose Garden

slingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant future

My advice would be to keep it fun. My 4-yo dd has taught herself phonics and is starting to read on her own...surprised me with that!!!! And I just started doing fun games with her like go fish. I take construction paper and cut it into 12 or 16 "cards" and she picks words she wants to learn and I write them on the cards. She loves to play the card game and it is a fun way for her to keep her busy mind engaged without much structure. Also the other day at the park she was digging a hole and asked me to dig with her. We pretended we were archaeologists and we found a pyramid, an ancient Egyptian gold coin, a diamond, and a sphinx. We had lots of fun. It was a great moment together. It was really nice later to hear her telling my dh "Mommy and I were archaeologists at the park and we found......and we found a sphinx. Do you know what a sphinx is daddy? It is a statue of a lion, but it has the man's face. Maybe it was the face of the pharaoh...." It was just a game we played, but she learned a little about ancient Egypt.

There are lots of ways of teaching in a fun and still probelm-posing, critical thinking way without too much structure and it is great to be able to design your child's education specifically for them.

Custom Photo Cards. PM me for details!

slingmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slingmamaof4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #18
Mama Bird
Rose Garden

Mama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond reputeMama Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Where to start?

1. Commit your school, your children, your teaching, your curriculum...everything...to God. Allow Him to make the choices.

2. Know that the first curriculum you choose will most likely not be the one you stick with. Don't be afraid to buy used curriculum...or older curriculum. You can often get a good deal on older editions...just make sure you plan ahead enough to update things that need to be updated.

3. Don't allow yourself to feel pressured to create a genius. Let's face it...all homeschooled children cannot be Spelling or Geography Bee champions.

4. Find your own style. You may be an unschooler, or relaxed schooler, or you may have school at home.

5. Slow down...and enjoy your children. If a child suddenly gets an intense interest in something, go with it!

6. School does not happen between 9 and 3. It's ok to go to the grocery store. It's fine to take a day off to prepare for a garage sale. (Just not all the time.)

7. Think outside the box! Pringles containers can become pencil boxes. Sidewalks can become chalkboards.

8. You must allow yourself some planning time. We do unit studies, and in the middle of each unit, I plan for the next one. This includes making lists of what I need to borrow, buy, copy, make, etc.

9. Use the library. Ours has programs for homeschoolers! I reserve books for the next unit about a week and a half before we start that unit, so they have time to be shuffled between libraries. This also gives me a chance to look them over and reject books that don't line up with our worldview.

10. Never, never forget to thank God for the awesome privilege and responsibility of teaching our little ones. Remember that the most important thing we can teach them is about God, and His amazing love for us. Without that, all the reading, writing and 'rithmatic matter not at all.
Mama Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bird For This Useful Post:
prov31craftymom (01-11-2014), rainydaybaby (05-03-2012)
Old 10-09-2005, 09:28 PM   #19
Kcross
Deactivated

Kcross is on a distinguished road

I agree with Celeste....Read "The Well Trained Mind" it will shape your views of homeschooling forever!! GREAT Book!!

Kcross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kcross For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2005, 02:35 PM   #20
olivegod2
Climbing Rose

olivegod2 is a jewel in the rougholivegod2 is a jewel in the rougholivegod2 is a jewel in the rougholivegod2 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyTay
"teachers in public schools are trained to deal with the disabilities"
This is so not true! I have a degree in art education and we maybe spent 1/2 of 1 semester going over stuff like IEP's and dealing with disabilities. I never have gone into teaching, but I can't imagine that any more "training" would have been offered (except "on the job" training, meaning trial and error!)
I was a high school French teacher for 5 years in the Chicago Public school system. I only had one class on Special Education issues and from what I understand is that that is normal for non-special needs teachers. Now specifically special ed teachers have a lot more training and classes to deal with the varying degrees of the special needs students. The reason I am considering homeschooling is the one-on-one factor which is a lot more effective than 28-35:1 ratio.

olivegod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #21
mykidsmom

Ditto Kym.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:08 PM   #22
Littledisciples
Rose Garden

My sweet girls who have given me strength to endure

Littledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond repute

Been Homeschooling my DD for Two months now and I learned one thing real quick don't find homework based on their age just their abilities couse my DD is ok doing a grade ahead.

Mom of Kayla 2000, Katie 2001 and Kira 2004
Step Mom of B girl 1995, S girl 1998, J boy 2001, J girl 2002, M girl 2002, K girl 2003, S girl 2004

Grandma to J Dec 2014, J May 2017, G November 2018

Sometimes our life is crazy but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Resting with Jesus Seth, Mercy, Love, Serenity, Hope, Whisper and Clare bear
Littledisciples is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Littledisciples For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #23
apmommyto4

Keep an open mind--there's no "perfect" curriculum! Once you find what works, though--stick with it as long as you feel is appropriate to avoid gaps.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #24
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

More, more...

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:18 AM   #25
PrairieFlowerC

n/t
Old 10-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #26
ServantofGod

"God does not call the equipped; He equips the called."
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #27
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Amen

I also wanted to add what I tell every new homeschooler I talk to . . . get ahold of the book "Things we wish we'd known". When I got it it was 50 homeschoolers and I think it's up to 150 or 200 but they are veterans sharing their experience and what they wish they'd known when they started
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
prov31craftymom (01-11-2014)
Old 10-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #28
StarrMama

Pray, pray, pray~ As for our house. We use a curriculum that I adore and my daughter does too I guess the best practical advice is to be organized, have a game plan for the year, but be flexible on a day to day basis. We get out every Wednesday for Exploration day, in which there is no book work, just science experiments, exploring nature, crafts, reading ect... It's nice to break up our week that way and it's worked into our curriculum. May God guide you, and He will!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #29
wombmate3

Where can I get that book Crystal?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #30
Quietspirit
Deactivated

Quietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond reputeQuietspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bring public school styles/methods home! Be a student of your child and learn how they learn. Read the book "Learning without labels" if you have a child who is a "different learner". Or even if you have a typical learner!

Quietspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quietspirit For This Useful Post: