Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #31
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July Main Meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulce de leche View Post
Oooh, that sounds yummy! Dh is out of town for a couple of weeks, so I have taken the easy way out and done a lot of junk food. Ds was asking for soup, and that might be tomorrow's lunch.
It was yummy and both my kids liked it which was win, win for this recipe!
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #32
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

We've had house guests since last Thursday. I made this tonight: http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/slow...ey-pork-roast/
With roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes, roasted balsamic zucchini, and Ginger/lemon coleslaw (used fancy ginger lemon balsamic vinegar in dressing). There are NO leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (07-08-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #33
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
What are your go to recipes for chicken rice and gravy?

I used to make it with cream of mushroom soup. Back in the day when I wasn't by the ingredients on it. My kids still ask for that dish so I've been casually thinking about an alternative. Seems that it should be easy enough.
I think Connie makes chicken rice and gravy into one dish so hopefully she'll come along and share her recipe.

Mine are all separate: pan sauteed seasoned (salt, pepper, granulated onion in olive oil) chicken breasts; a pan of basmati rice made with butter, chicken broth and salt; and chicken broth, flour, butter, salt & pepper gravy made in the chicken pan scraping up the browned bits. I have one child who can't stand gravy and another who really likes it so I make most of my meals deconstructed so they can add what they like and leave off what they don't.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 07:40 AM   #34
rainydaybaby
Seedling Rose

rainydaybaby is a jewel in the roughrainydaybaby is a jewel in the roughrainydaybaby is a jewel in the rough

Tonight is pork chops, some kind of veg (gotta go to the store!) and roasted potatoes for hubby and ds. Cherries, grapes, and watermelon for dessert.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:26 AM   #35
Carini
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

If you don't stop naming nuts....

Carini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond repute

Chicken sausage with sauerkraut, caramelized onion and apples. Something green. Maybe sugar snap peas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ISTJ
Wife to J - 2004
Doops - 10/2010
Sweetie Girl - 7/2014

Carini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #36
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

i know i don't post much in here, but i HAD to come share this recipe with you guys!! it is so so sooooooo yummy!!

http://communitytable.parade.com/249...chicken-salad/

i shred the cabbage and carrots, but dice everything else. i also use more veggies (like half the head of cabbage).

seriously delicious. my hubby asked if we can eat it at least once a week lol

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (07-08-2015), charla (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #37
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

that salad looks super good! I bookmarked it. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #38
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

The Cajun version of chicken, rice, and gravy doesn't use chicken broth. Of course, it uses a proper roux also but I don't I take a carton of Kitchen Basics beef broth, season it with Essence, pepper, onion powder, parsley flakes, and a little Tony Chachere's, then let it reduce while I saute 1 lb of chopped chicken. When the chicken is cooked through, I usually add it to the broth and cook it down. Then I finish it with butter to help thicken and serve with brown rice. Sometimes I mix in cooked green beans.

GF rouxs are tricky. My friend bought a premade one and said it was good but I haven't tried it yet. We're happy with my version of "gravy" so...

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LilacPhoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #39
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

We are having grilled bruschetta chicken tonight with the first tomatoes of the season. I can't wait--it's a favorite around here, and so simple: grilled chicken, and at the end DH puts it on foil and dumps a huge mess of tomatoes + basil (plus a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt, some garlic) on the chicken. Top it with mozzarella and heat until the cheese melts. YUM.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (07-08-2015), Carini (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #40
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Chicken, rice, green beans, and Craisins

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LilacPhoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #41
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmamy View Post
We are having grilled bruschetta chicken tonight with the first tomatoes of the season. I can't wait--it's a favorite around here, and so simple: grilled chicken, and at the end DH puts it on foil and dumps a huge mess of tomatoes + basil (plus a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt, some garlic) on the chicken. Top it with mozzarella and heat until the cheese melts. YUM.
That sounds fantastic!
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
schmamy (07-10-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #42
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Chicken with wine sauce, hot buttered carrots and English peas. I would like to add a desert, but I'm wiped out and James is doing the cooking for me and he is a bit intimidated by that much.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #43
charla
Administrator

Tacos, spanish rice

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 07-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #44
2sunshines

Tonight I made tacos and chips and guacamole for the kids.

Dh and I had sauteed veggies with eggs scrambled in and a raw zucchini salad on the side.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #45
rainydaybaby
Seedling Rose

rainydaybaby is a jewel in the roughrainydaybaby is a jewel in the roughrainydaybaby is a jewel in the rough

We're having meatloaf with asparagus tonight. I might make some potatoes for dh and ds.