Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default HOD Drawn Into the Heart of Reading?

Has anyone used Heart of Dakota's Drawn into the Heart of Reading?
I am thinking I would like to use it, but I am not using a HOD curriculum guide. I have a few questions about it, so if you are reading this and have used it, I would love to ask you a few questions.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
mom2boys
Rose Garden

mom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOD Drawn Into the Heart of Reading?

of course I have. I've used all of HOD stuff for years.
Ask away!!
Ben (14) Greyson (11) Gabe (8)
INFP and DYT 3/2
mom2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mom2boys For This Useful Post:
MomtoJGJ (05-27-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Mandolin Gypsy
Deactivated

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Location: Where I don't owe a tax called 'pretty' for occupying the space marked 'female'.
Mandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond repute

I have used it.

I'll answer whatever I can! I know you have another lady on here to help you also!!
Mandolin Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Hooray!

I am not using the HOD guide, and what I am planning to use already has read alouds scheduled.
I looked at the sample pages on the HOD website. I am mostly wondering about how the character traits are taught. I noticed that "responsibility" is what is in the sample pages for biography. When I used HOD a couple years ago, it also had responsibility as the character trait during the biography that was read during storytime, even though we were not using HOD. Is there a different Biblical character trait focused on for each genre, or do you look for all the Godly character traits in each book?

Also, how much time does it take to do each lesson? I would be doing the 2/3 guide with my 9yo and the 4/5 level with my 11 year old. They have very different reading abilities.

Also, I guess what I am really wanting is something to help us dig deeper into the books that we read aloud as a family. So, we may go through "Historical Fiction" more than once next year, while we may never really get to "nonfiction" or "realistic fiction", KWIM? Would this be appropriate in that kind of situation, or would it start to make the kids dread real aloud time because it makes it seem like "work" to them?

Also, ETA, what do you/did you like about it? What do you/did you not like about it? What would you change?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
mom2boys
Rose Garden

mom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond reputemom2boys has a reputation beyond repute

it's only a reading program, so it would be separate from your historical readings or your free readings. It only took us about 20 minutes a day, including reading time, at those levels. each genre has it's own character trait, but you also look for others, too.
Ben (14) Greyson (11) Gabe (8)
INFP and DYT 3/2
mom2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Mandolin Gypsy
Deactivated

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Location: Where I don't owe a tax called 'pretty' for occupying the space marked 'female'.
Mandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond repute

Amy, I'm so sorry I took so long to get back to this thread for you!!!

I'm going to give my best effort to answering your questions thoroughly!

Okay. First, you were wondering how the character traits are taught. I will tell you first that the character traits are not taught every day of a unit. Let's look at the genre of 'mystery'. The character trait studied for mystery is loyalty. Out of the 15 days of the mystery unit, only 3 days are spent learning about the character trait of loyalty. I will give you an example of how loyalty is taught at the 2/3 level. This is on day 4....You introduce the definition of loyalty and look up/read Proverbs 19:11. Then, you share a general example of loyalty from your own life. Then, you help your student think of an example of loyalty from thier own life (either themselves or someone else). Then, you introduce the definition and scripture for fairness. (Jeremiah 17:10). Then, you discuss real life examples of fairness being demonstrated. Then, the student reads that day's assigned pages aloud and looks for examples of loyalty and fairness. And the last part gives you questions to ask for discussion after the child has read aloud to you. And that's it on Day 4 of Mystery. Hope that helps. Sorry if this paragraph seems muttled!!

Yes, there is a different character trait studied with each genre.

As for the time it takes, each lesson is different. You don't do the same things everyday. Some days, the student just reads the assigned pages and tells you what they read, etc., and other days there are activities. The upper levels have more worksheet exercises to fill out than the 2/3 level. Goodness, I would allot 10 to 30 minutes each day. You can look ahead to see which days take longer.

Here are my personal thoughts:

I will not do DITHOR the entire school year through. We do one unit and then take a month off. I like to expose them to *some* literature study, but I see no need to make it a continual focus of study below high school. Kids draw so much on their own when they read. I also want them to know that reading is for enjoyment, we read to live, and that reading isn't "for school". Taking the lighter approach keeps the enjoyment in literature study for them.

I like it because it is easy to use. You do not have to buy a TM for each level-it is all in one, which I love. Also, as you know, I like it because you can choose what books you use.

I'm sure you could repeat genres if you like. Just use a different book each time. Maybe each time choose a little more challenging book.

Hope this helps a little!

I have the TM right in front of me, let me know if you have any more ?'s and I will make sure I don't leave you hanging!!

Last edited by Mandolin Gypsy; 05-27-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Mandolin Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mandolin Gypsy For This Useful Post:
RealLifeMama (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lovetheirchildren View Post
I will not do DITHOR the entire school year through. We do one unit and then take a month off. I like to expose them to *some* literature study, but I see no need to make it a continual focus of study below high school. Kids draw so much on their own when they read. I also want them to know that reading is for enjoyment, we read to live, and that reading isn't "for school". Taking the lighter approach keeps the enjoyment in literature study for them.
Thank you for typing out all of that reply!
I especially appreciate this part that I quoted. That makes a lot of sense and is probably a good approach for us, too.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13