Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute
Default A quote on obedience from an Ezzo teaching video

On this video, a clip of which is on youtube, Gary Ezzo contrasts for his audience how they hold the value of obedience in a more urgent, effective way than the way their neighbors do, and that this is observable because the Ezzo child comes when called, but the neighbors' child does not. (This is one reason Ezzo is divisive--his teaching style involves constantly making these "our best case vs your worst case" comparisons.)

But what really caught my ear was the punchline in the comparison. He summed up that his audience holds the value of obedience with more urgency than their neighbors because "this value [obedience] represents God, so we better get this right in our home."

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Ezzo's theology gets called into question.

Last edited by katiekind; 05-14-2012 at 05:42 PM.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (05-14-2012), BarefootBetsy (05-15-2012), CelticJourney (05-14-2012), ClassicMom (05-17-2012), DoulaClara (05-14-2012), duckwithoneleg (05-14-2012), dulce de leche (05-14-2012), GraemesMomma (05-14-2012), homesteadmama (05-28-2012), Lady Grey (05-27-2012), LilySue (05-15-2012), Llee (05-14-2012), MercyInDisguise (05-15-2012), PrincessAnika (05-15-2012), Rose5000 (05-18-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-15-2012), ThreeKids (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
gardenfreshmama
Rose Garden

Through my daughter's eyes...

gardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A quote on obedience from an Ezzo teaching video

I'm not even really sure what that MEANS. How, exactly, does the value of obedience represent God more so, than say... the value of kindness? Or the value of patience? Of joy, of LOVE? Why is there such an emphasis on obedience, when it's not even a fruit of the spirit??

I'm an INFP and I'm going to save the world! Well... maybe tomorrow. After I get some alone time and a cup of coffee... or maybe after ANNABEL (6.25), ASHER (3.5), and EMMELINE (1) are in school... once DEREK gets his culinary school loans paid off...
gardenfreshmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to gardenfreshmama For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (05-14-2012), BarefootBetsy (05-15-2012), Chaos Coordinator (05-14-2012), duckwithoneleg (05-14-2012), dulce de leche (05-14-2012), Grover (05-15-2012), Happygrl (05-14-2012), katiekind (05-14-2012), kwisie (05-15-2012), LearningMama (05-14-2012), LilySue (05-15-2012), magpiedpiper (05-15-2012), MercyInDisguise (05-15-2012), PrincessAnika (05-15-2012), Psyche (05-14-2012), Quiteria (05-15-2012), Sparrow (05-15-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-15-2012), TuneMyHeart (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfreshmama View Post
I'm not even really sure what that MEANS. How, exactly, does the value of obedience represent God more so, than say... the value of kindness? Or the value of patience? Of joy, of LOVE? Why is there such an emphasis on obedience, when it's not even a fruit of the spirit??
Probably because, in Ezzo's theology, exhibiting the fruits of the Spirit is conditional on obedience - on our obeying God through the power the Spirit gives us . So obedience is foundational to everything else.

As opposed to the idea that God is *love*, and the fruits of the Spirit flow from His love for us, that naturally spills over into our love for others. That what God does through us is indeed part of God's work in us , not our work for God.

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (05-15-2012), gardenfreshmama (05-15-2012), katiekind (05-14-2012), LearningMama (05-14-2012), Psyche (05-14-2012), Quiteria (05-15-2012), sherry (05-15-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not even really sure what that MEANS.
I hear you. Ezzo is really big on the idea that children's obedience to their parents is a beacon that attracts the unsaved.

The problem -- one of the problems -- is that Christianity is not set apart from other religions by having a code of conduct, it is set apart from other religions by GRACE. While we were yet SINNERS Christ died for us, the righteous for the unrighteous. In that act, it was God who showed obedience, and his children who, although sinners, reaped the benefit. Ezzo's moralism is turned on its head in Christianity.

Quote:
not our work for God.
Precisely.

Last edited by katiekind; 05-14-2012 at 06:01 PM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (05-14-2012), BarefootBetsy (05-15-2012), duckwithoneleg (05-14-2012), dulce de leche (05-14-2012), Elyse221 (05-15-2012), gardenfreshmama (05-15-2012), kwisie (05-15-2012), LearningMama (05-14-2012), Llee (05-14-2012), PrincessAnika (05-15-2012), Quiteria (05-15-2012), SweetCaroline (05-14-2012), teamommy (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
SubarbanHippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfreshmama View Post
Because it's a convenient enough excuse for parents to use the Highest Power in the universe to shame, threaten or coerce their children and fashion them in the image of themselves rather than their Heavenly Father. Children can argue and fight their parents tooth and nail when they give, "because I said so!" as a reason, but what can a child say when they're told, "because God said so!" Some parents are so convinced that if a child cannot simply obey their parents, how will they ever be able to obey an unseen God? The Bible admonishes children to honor their parents. Titus 2 admonishes the older women to teach the younger women to love their husbands and children, not force their obedience.

Not to mention, oftentimes what these people consider obedience is really parents who like to arbitrarily bark commands of "jump!" at their children just to see if their kids will respond with, "how high?" It's not obedience that keeps the children out of danger or keeps them healthy. It's just control and dominance to prove something to society.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (05-14-2012), Elyse221 (05-15-2012), katiekind (05-14-2012), Quiteria (05-15-2012), rjy9343 (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
GraemesMomma
Deactivated

GraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me as I repeat, verbatim, a song sung at times daily in my chapel, growing up:

Obedience is
the very best way
To show that you believe!
Doing exactly
what the Lord commands;
Doing it happily.

Walking in the light
Keeping our attitudes right;
Joy you will receive.

O. B. E. D. I. E. N. C. E.

Obedience iiiisss
the Very Best Way

And I wonder why I have issues with relating to God
GraemesMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GraemesMomma For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (05-14-2012), greengirl19 (05-14-2012), kwisie (05-15-2012), PaperMomma (05-15-2012), Quiteria (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemesMomma View Post
Forgive me as I repeat, verbatim, a song sung at times daily in my chapel, growing up:

Obedience is
the very best way
Doing exactly
what the Lord commands;
Doing it happily.

Walking in the light
Joy you will receive.

Obedience iiiisss
the Very Best Way

Dh thinks that song should be burned. I think we should kill it with fire .

Or perhaps we should nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure .

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
Doc (05-21-2012), GraemesMomma (05-14-2012), katiekind (05-14-2012), LadybugSam (05-14-2012), LilySue (05-15-2012), PaperMomma (05-15-2012), rjy9343 (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Tengokujin
Rose Trellis

Citizen of Heaven

Tengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekind View Post
Christianity is not set apart from other religions by having a code of conduct, it is set apart from other religions by GRACE. While we were yet SINNERS Christ died for us, the righteous for the unrighteous. In that act, it was God who showed obedience, and his children who, although sinners, reaped the benefit.

And THAT, above, is beautiful. Should be a random quote thingy.
Mom of Jason, DOB 08/25/03 and David, DOB 04/07/07, and DS#3 due May 1st

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well. Psalm 139:14 (NIV)

Tengokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Tengokujin For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (05-14-2012), gardenfreshmama (05-15-2012), GraemesMomma (05-14-2012), Hermana Linda (05-14-2012), LearningMama (05-14-2012), light of mine (05-15-2012), Llee (05-14-2012), MaiMama (05-14-2012), Quiteria (05-15-2012), Snugglebugmom (05-18-2012), Sparrow (05-15-2012), SweetCaroline (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Obedience is
the very best way
Doing exactly
what the Lord commands;
Doing it happily.

Walking in the light
Joy you will receive.

Obedience iiiisss
the Very Best Way

My MIL would LOVE LOVE LOVE that song! I hope she's never heard it.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:

Obedience is
the very best way
Doing exactly
what the Lord commands;
Doing it happily.

Walking in the light
Joy you will receive.

Obedience iiiisss
the Very Best Way

dh and ds1 asked what I was moaning about so I read them this song. Ds1 wants to know if they were into mind control

personally I'm left
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (05-14-2012), kwisie (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
GraemesMomma
Deactivated

GraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
dh and ds1 asked what I was moaning about so I read them this song. Ds1 wants to know if they were into mind control

personally I'm left
Sadly? Absolutely, yes
GraemesMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GraemesMomma For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Tengokujin
Rose Trellis

Citizen of Heaven

Tengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond repute

The song is another shining example of teaching "the Bible" in a way that manipulates our children into being convenient for us. Same as manipulating Bible stories to ultimately teach something not in the text.

The idea of the song is not that bad--IF it was applied to adults in relating to God. If we take a mature understanding of what it is to obey God,yeah, it's a pretty good way to show that you believe. But it's pure manipulation for children who hear from all sides how obeying parents and all adults is imperative to be pleasing to God and look like good little Christians.
Mom of Jason, DOB 08/25/03 and David, DOB 04/07/07, and DS#3 due May 1st

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well. Psalm 139:14 (NIV)

Tengokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tengokujin For This Useful Post:
katiekind (05-14-2012), Quiteria (05-15-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #14
SubarbanHippie

One thing I just thought of, as I was sitting here pondering why some Christian parents assume if their children won't obey them, they will never obey God. As an adult, who has experienced God's grace numerous times in my life, I know that when God asks something of me, it's absolutely for my own good and to the benefit of the Gospel. It doesn't mean it won't be uncomfortable or that it would never put my life in danger, but I know God's motives are always pure and with my eternal soul in mind. I cannot say the same for any other human being. Even if a parent isn't being deliberately malicious toward their children, the parenting methods they employ or the standards they expect their children to live up might not exactly be for the benefit of the children. They might believe it is, but is what they expect of their children really beneficial, or does it more so serve their need for convenience?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (05-15-2012), greengirl19 (05-15-2012), katiekind (05-14-2012), PaperMomma (05-15-2012), Quiteria (05-15-2012), Sparrow (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

You packed a lot of good things to think about in that paragraph, MrsJacks.
The Following User Says Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post: