Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

greenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the rough
Default swollen gland behind ear- causes?

I've had a swollen gland/node behind my left ear for a month now. At first it was larger then smaller, then larger again and back to smaller but still not gone. My dr. ordered an ultrasound of it and the result was that it was a normal gland but she never said what could be causing it to swell or what to do now (and when I called office this morning the nurse (?) was nasty and said I had to come in and that it was against the law for the dr to talk to me on the phone! (is there a new law? I've talked to drs on the phone before....?) I told her that I didn't think the dr needed to feel the bump again but I wanted to know what she thought could be causing it. Initially I may have had a low fever for one night and didn't feel so hot but no other illness symptoms. also last week the other node near it- slightly higher and further back swelled for a couple days.
of course an internet search turns up scary stuff... my concern is a tumor in my brain that would cause the one gland to react and swell. ??
does anyone know if a wisdom tooth could cause that gland to swell even if I have no pain or apparent symptoms with my wisdom tooth? (it has come in partially without pain but should probably come out).
it is the postauricular node.
greenishmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for greenishmama:
Rivendell Raven (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Rivendell Raven
Rose Bouquet

Rivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: swollen gland behind ear- causes?

Any infection near a lymph node can cause it to swell. It could be from your wisdom teeth or a cold or sinus infection, or ear infection... I'm sorry that nurse was rude to you. I have Kaiser Permanente insurance and they encourage phone appointments for non urgent things. It could be different by state...?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Any infection or toxicity can cause that. I would up my immune boosters (vit C, vit D3, minerals) and do lymphatic exercise and massage. Walking while really swinging your arms is one form lymphatic exercise. Lat pulls are another. Lymphatic massage is very light, fingertip touch all around the area to help move the lymph.

And drink lots of filtered water.

It's pretty normal for something like that to take awhile to go down. If you're concerned, though, I'd ask for a CBC blood test to see the count of your white cells.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
PlateauMama (07-30-2015), sweetpeasmommy (07-29-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

greenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for your info. I heard from nurse today and as for cause of swollen glands she just said could be an infection or virus or something going on that is causing the gland to do it's job. but I want to know WHAT!! I haven't been feeling wonderful but haven't been getting enough/good sleep the past week or so, so it's hard to tell right now. I don't understand how I could have an infection or virus somewhere without other symptoms. The gland behind the ear drains the scalp and outer ear. so if I had an infection elsewhere it should not be activating that gland. which leaves me to worry about what could be going on inside my head.
She said the dr. could order another ultrasound in a month if it's still swollen. but that still would not tell WHY it 's swelling.

one thing I'm curious about is that I've been doing T-tap. Not sure how many readers know about that exercise method. It is supposed to promote lymph system activation/circulation so wondering if that is causing it....
Old 07-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of T-Tappers here, including me! It seems possible that all the lymphatic pumping could be working the glands more than normal, causing them to enlarge, but I'm not sure.

It's not uncommon to have swollen lymph nodes for awhile without ever knowing why. We can have subclinical infections fairly often without realizing it. If you feel well then perhaps your immune system is just doing it's job.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Lots of T-Tappers here, including me! It seems possible that all the lymphatic pumping could be working the glands more than normal, causing them to enlarge, but I'm not sure.

It's not uncommon to have swollen lymph nodes for awhile without ever knowing why. We can have subclinical infections fairly often without realizing it. If you feel well then perhaps your immune system is just doing it's job.
thank you. I know I need to just pray and relax. The dr's staff is just very frustrating to me. I couldn't make it as a doctor because I'd always want to find out the reasons for things.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:59 PM   #7
Pearl In Oyster
Rose Garden

growing every day

Pearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond repute

I had something similar once and it turned out to be a blocked salivary gland.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Celebrating resurrection life after a heart transplant on 2/21/15!

Married since 8/28/04 to a big Bear
Mama to sweet & spirited Charlotte , born 9/08, determined & imaginative Zachary , born 6/12, one I'll see in heaven 10/10, and easy-going Elliott , born 4/14!
Pearl In Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl In Oyster View Post
I had something similar once and it turned out to be a blocked salivary gland.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
I've had that before. Well, it was the salivary gland that was blocked. Painful! but used heat, etc. This is a lymph node behind my ear. I don't seem to be having symptoms of a blocked salivary gland though. It actually seems slightly bigger right now than earlier today. ?? still bugs me!
Old 08-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
Indigo
Climbing Rose

Indigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to behold

I was just reading something about that. Have you had any trouble with your eye on that side? We thought my dd had conjunctivitis and wedmd said w/that you can get swollen glands by the ears. Just thought I'd throw that out there as a possibility.

When we worked with a chiropractor regularly, she often did massage to decrease gland swelling. You could probably find some info online about the proper technique.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Gentle dry skin brushing off your whole body might help, too.