Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #31
mellifera
Rose Trellis

mellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2015 Garden Planning

I had great luck with spaghetti squash a few years ago--I planted it, forgot all about it, and in mid October I went out and found a bunch of perfectly hardened squash.
mellifera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mellifera For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (03-02-2015), RiverRock (03-01-2015), SewingGreenMama (03-10-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 02:50 AM   #32
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm I love spaghetti squash. I wish we could grow squash and pumpkins but seems like a bad idea in our drought.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #33
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

anyone use square foot gardening?
I'm trying to figure out how much i can fit into 3 4'x4' boxes.
I cant afford to buy more then absolutely necessary

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #34
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

When I did square foot gardening, I printed off a chart from the internet with spacing. Some squares can be replanted, too, as early crops are harvested. My computer is loading too slowly to link a chart for you but mysquarefootgarden.net looks like a good place to start.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (03-19-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #35
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

I started some plants today but I have no idea how sustainable it will really be. I have to keep it to hand watering only and preferably with saved water from
Showers. So I had a packet of bush beans. I planted something like 36 cells. But I am so NOT going to be able to sustain 36 bean plants.

Can I save the leftovers for next season in hopes that we will have a better gardening environment? Anyone know? How do I save my seeds?

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Old 03-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #36
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator View Post
I started some plants today but I have no idea how sustainable it will really be. I have to keep it to hand watering only and preferably with saved water from
Showers. So I had a packet of bush beans. I planted something like 36 cells. But I am so NOT going to be able to sustain 36 bean plants.

Can I save the leftovers for next season in hopes that we will have a better gardening environment? Anyone know? How do I save my seeds?
I don't start bean plants - I plant direct in the ground and 36 bushes is not much for us I usually do almost an entire raised bed which in our size ends up 50 or so plants. They don't get big and just need water and weeding

That said, I keep my seeds year to year but rarely go beyond 3 years as the sprouting rate drops every year. In general, the rule of thumb is low humidity and I store in paper not plastic (paper bags).

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
When I did square foot gardening, I printed off a chart from the internet with spacing. Some squares can be replanted, too, as early crops are harvested. My computer is loading too slowly to link a chart for you but mysquarefootgarden.net looks like a good place to start.
I did the same thing -- printed off spacing and planned . Now I just know about what fits where and customize my small city garden for maximizing space.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #37
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

I can't put them directly into the ground due to watering restrictions. So imagining 36 bean plants in containers on my patio makes me a bit boggle eyed.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Old 03-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #38
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Started my tomatoes and eggplant.

Beds are still under about a foot (or more) of snow.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingGreenMama View Post
anyone use square foot gardening?
I'm trying to figure out how much i can fit into 3 4'x4' boxes.
I cant afford to buy more then absolutely necessary
I do! I use this chart when planting to figure out how much goes where, and then layout on paper:

http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net/plant-spacing/

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (03-27-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #39
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator View Post
I can't put them directly into the ground due to watering restrictions. So imagining 36 bean plants in containers on my patio makes me a bit boggle eyed.
Containers? That makes sense then Hmm. . . can you do more than one per container. A 9 inch pot would hold 4 plants easily. I plant mine 4 inches apart.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (03-24-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #40
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I planted 3 rows of sugar snap peas today.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (03-27-2015), Chaos Coordinator (03-27-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #41
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Well....on the down side my big organic garden was to help with ds's health issues, but we got his food sensitivity panel back today and other than peas there is nothing to plant for him. Literally, if you could think to put it on or in a salad, his is highly sensitive....even to lettuce

...on the up side, dd now has free reign to go crazy and will have a great time picking out her garden.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #42
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

Sowed more seeds today and I have a tray of seedlings sprouting up. They are so cute how they first sprout up and unfurl from their shells. They really do seem to have personalities!

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Old 03-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #43
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

i'm in. i won't be able to plant till sometime in may, but i am hoping to do a square foot garden this year. i have two good sized raised and am hoping to put a third in this year. last year the garden was mostly left to dh because gardening 8mos preg thru newborn was just not happening but this year i hope to have a better variety put in and try out the sqg method

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #44
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Went to buy chicken feed and they had a great sale on gooseberry canes so I bought two. . I'm so excited! I also picked up 6 more rhubarb plants, 3 more strawberry plants, and asparagus because my chickens killed my asparagus last year. I'm going to plant the rhubarb somewhere in the yard since deer won't be an issue.

Going to plant kale, spinach, and carrots today and tomorrow. I haven't started my tomatoes yet.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #45
Elspeth
Rose Trellis

Hold on tight and pretend it's a plan.

Elspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond repute

I've started my windowsill herbs. Rosemary, echinacea, german chamomile, and spearmint. So far the german chamomile has sprouted really well. Lots of seedlings. One spearmint seedling, and no rosemary or echinacea. Might need to redo those pots.

Breathe in peace, breathe out love. And drink coffee. Lots of coffee.
Elspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elspeth For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (03-27-2015)