Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Canning / Preserving *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 07-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #46
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer Canning 2014

Yesterday we picked boysenberries and blackberries and I canned up 6 pounds of them. So yummy!

I instagrammed a pic of it: http://instagram.com/p/qPrRJ0MgLN/

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #47
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklibrarian View Post
Elizabeth,

As long as you have a deep enough pot to cover the jars and something to hold them up off the bottom of the pot so the temperature stays even, you should be able to can.
Thanks. Made some today. I wanted too long and only had enough for half a batch, but if I give a jar to the neighbor who has the tree, maybe there will be more to come

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #48
kklibrarian
Moderator to Adoption & Foster Care, Cloth Diapering & EC, Gardening, Infertility, Large Families, and WOHM's

The Famous Belladonna Took

kklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight is pepper jelly. Tomorrow is blueberry butter and some more blueberry lemonade concentrate. Also, maybe some blueberry pancake syrup.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jolie (dd) - age practically 20
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Sigh (ds) - age 15 or "thereabouts"
kklibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #49
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tonight is pepper jelly. Tomorrow is blueberry butter and some more blueberry lemonade concentrate. Also, maybe some blueberry pancake syrup.
Just got home with about 8 lbs of blueberries.....what is 'blueberry butter'?

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
Old 07-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #50
kklibrarian
Moderator to Adoption & Foster Care, Cloth Diapering & EC, Gardening, Infertility, Large Families, and WOHM's

kklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond repute

Blueberry butter is like apple butter only made with blueberries rather than apples. It's an intense flavor, but I really blueberries. I cook them down just a bit with just a little liquid, run them through a sieve or a food mill to lose the skins, and then add a little sweetness (sugar or honey, your choice) and cinnamon for spice. Finally, I cook it low and slow until it will mound on a spoon and can it up.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Old 07-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #51
CelticJourney
Administrator

Ok.....break it down for me.... when I make jam, I check for stems and leaves, then put the berries in the food processor, and then cook them. Are you saying you do it the other way around for butter?

What are the ratios? I have sugar and honey right now, which do you prefer? How long should I expect to them to need to cook? And they go into the water bath after you jar to seal it and then they can stay at room temperature, yes?

Fun....I learn SO much on GCM

Old 07-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #52
kklibrarian

You can wash, stem, and check your berries and then grind them up if you prefer. I like to soften mine a bit on the stove after I've washed and stemmed and then use my food mill. It's totally your preference there. Once they are converted into pulp, I add about 2-to 3 cups of sugar and/or honey depending on the sweetness of the berries. You can cook it in the crockpot for several hours on low or on top of the stove for 30-45 minutes. If you do stovetop though, you have to stay close so that it doesn't scorch.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
The Following User Says Thank You to kklibrarian For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #53
CelticJourney
Administrator

Quote:
You can wash, stem, and check your berries and then grind them up if you prefer. I like to soften mine a bit on the stove after I've washed and stemmed and then use my food mill. It's totally your preference there. Once they are converted into pulp, I add about 2-to 3 cups of sugar and/or honey depending on the sweetness of the berries. You can cook it in the crockpot for several hours on low or on top of the stove for 30-45 minutes. If you do stovetop though, you have to stay close so that it doesn't scorch.
Thanks! I'm going to try the slow cooker. I'd love to use honey, but I think that would almost wipe out my jar and it's $16 a jar, so....nope....

Old 07-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #54
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Lisa, you might want to try a long boil method for your berry jam. The long boil recipes usually call for less sugar than recipes that call for pectin. Pectin is naturally found in fruit, especially underripe fruit. The jam might take 30 or so minutes on a gentle boil before it sets. Any underripe berries will completely cook down before the jam is ready to put in jars. I keep bread plates in the freezer to test the gel stage of the jam. A drop of jam on the "frozen" plate should quickly set to the thickness you like. Maybe you know all this already. I rarely use packaged pectin because of the extra sugar needed and the firm gel consistency that often happens.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (07-12-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #55
CelticJourney
Administrator

Uh....help? I started some Peach Butter this morning. Had everything in the crock pot around 10am. The directions said '3-6 hours'. I've been stirring and it hasn't been thickening. Just now I saw that the crock pot was not on low but on warm. Is it ruined or can I just put it on low and restart the clock?

Old 07-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #56
kklibrarian

I am just seeing this. I am sorry. I hope you didn't toss it because it should be fine for you to just cook it at the correct temperature under those circumstances.

I got a ton of figs from my aunt and uncle. Making blueberry fig jam today.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
3PeasInAPod (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #57
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

I love pamonas pectin! ! Made apricot jam and raspberry apRicot jam with little sugar and it came out awesome! !
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #58
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I've been canning too. Jams I've made so far:

Carrot cake
Kiwi lime
Kiwi coconut daiquiri
Apple pie
Strawberry kiwi (no pectin)
And rhubarb BBQ sauce

I need to do something with the peaches I have but I want it to be something interesting.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #59
kklibrarian

This weekend is fig preserves, pickles, and pepper jelly. I am signed up to do a vendor booth at our church fair in October and DH hopes to be in the farmers markets by October. I need to have plenty of jams, jellies and pickles for both of these venues.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
CelticJourney (09-05-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #60
derdsgirl
Rose Trellis

derdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond repute

It is my first year canning on my own (I canned with my grandma growing up, but it has been years!), and this is a late start, but well, it counts right?

A few weeks ago I made 18 pints of strawberry jam. I'm currently canning 80 lbs of san marzanos - I think it will make 30-36 quarts. Not quite enough for a year, but enough to get us to next summer.

Oh, and earlier this summer we froze about 1.5-2 gallons of blueberries. Not NEARLY enough for us for a year. Last year we did about 3 and we ran out. We probably need more like 4. Hopefully next year we can actually make it.

I have to buy everything from farms around here since all we have is a concrete patio at our rental. Even when we lived at a place with a garden, I was terrible about upkeep, so this is probably better.

Question: The new ball book says to simmer for 40-45 minutes. I remember grandma doing a hard boil for 15 minutes (or there abouts). Does anyone know where the change came about? (sorry if this was asked earlier in the thread, I've just skipped to this page ) I'm following the new rules, but still, it seems weird to me, and like it won't actually seal this way.
derdsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derdsgirl For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (09-19-2014)