Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Regional Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Syrian recipes

Here's what I'm craving at the moment:

Zahara (cauliflower)

1 head of cauliflower cut into medium sized chunks
2-3 cloves of garlic crushed with some salt
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup of fresh chopped cilantro

Fry the cauliflower in a deep fat fryer until a light golden brown color. Mix the lemon juice with the garlic and salt. Pour over the cauliflower and sprinkle with cilantro. Eat with warm pita bread. Serves 4.

Fasoolya bi zeit (green beans in oil)
1 pound of fresh or frozen green beans
1 medium onion finely chopped
2 medium sized tomatoes
2 cloves of crushed garlic with some salt
1/2 cup of cilantro
olive oil, salt, pepper

Saute onions in vegetable or corn oil until soft. Add green beans, salt and pepper to taste and cook until tender but still a light green color. Add tomatoes and cook the whole thing a minute or two. Just before serving add the garlic and allow it to cook with the green beans, onions, and tomatoes just a minute. Before serving, add the cilantro and more olive oil, preferably when it is on the table. Eat with warm pita bread. Serves 4.

Fasoolya (green beans)
1 medium onion chopped fine
1 1/2 cups of ground meat or ground lamb
1 lb. fresh or frozen green beans
1-8 oz. can of tomato sauce
water, salt, pepper/all spice

Serve over rice.

Saute onions in vegetable oil or corn oil until golden brown. Add ground beef and season well with all spice, salt, and pepper. The meat should be well seasoned and flavorful but not spicy. I'm not sure how much spice I add, it's to taste. Add water, just enough to cover and allow the meat and onions to cook together for 10-15 minutes. Add green beans and saute them for 2-3 minutes. Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and water to cover everything. Bring to a boil and after boiling, allow to cook at a low simmer for maybe 10 minutes. While this is cooking, make rice. Serve over rice. Serves 4 people.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Beauty4Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Mothering by Heart
Deactivated

Mothering by Heart is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Syrian recipes

Thank you!
Mothering by Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Mothering by Heart
Deactivated

Mothering by Heart is on a distinguished road

Thank you!
Mothering by Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute

More to come...how many of you own a hand meat grinder? I will teach you all to make home made falafel if you want.
Tammy

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

More to come...how many of you own a hand meat grinder? I will teach you all to make home made falafel if you want.
Tammy

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 02-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Kebab and Falafel

Kebab is actually pretty easy. All that it is is ground meat with a bunch of spices molded into a stick about the size of your thumb in width and maybe 5-6" in length. We ate kebab last night.

We bought Australian lamb chops (they tend to be more tender and less fatty than American lamb. It's also known as spring lamb) and some london broil meat and ground the two together. You need to add tons of all spice, maybe a teaspoon or two and maybe 1 teaspoon of salt and some black pepper to the meat after it's ground. I think that dh also ground up one medium onion with the meat, and about 1/2 a cup of fresh parsley. You'll need some kind of a skewer to mold the meat around. We have one of those grills that you set up on top of your stove top. He brushed it with some olive oil so the meat wouldn't stick. With kebab, you want to cook it quickly, I think it only took 10 minutes total.

For falafel, we make enough for 6-7 meals and freeze it. I'm going off the top of my head here. You will need to soak 2 cups of dry chickpeas and 2 cups of dry fava beans over night. Throw the beans in the grinder a handful at a time. Add to the grinder corriander seeds, maybe 1/2 cup, 1 cup of fresh parsley chopped, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 medium onion, a handful of red pepper, and I think that's about it. You will need to grind the whole thing together at least twice, maybe even 3x. After grinding it, add salt and pepper and mix the whole thing with your hands. I'm not sure if you'll need to add an egg or not. When you go to make the falafel, roll it into balls and fry it in a deep fat fryer. Chop some lettuce and tomatoes and slices of pickles. The sauce is made with 1-2 cups of plain yogurt and 2-3 tbsp. of tahini (sesame seed paste). Eat it in a pita bread.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 02-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Kebab and Falafel

Kebab is actually pretty easy. All that it is is ground meat with a bunch of spices molded into a stick about the size of your thumb in width and maybe 5-6" in length. We ate kebab last night.

We bought Australian lamb chops (they tend to be more tender and less fatty than American lamb. It's also known as spring lamb) and some london broil meat and ground the two together. You need to add tons of all spice, maybe a teaspoon or two and maybe 1 teaspoon of salt and some black pepper to the meat after it's ground. I think that dh also ground up one medium onion with the meat, and about 1/2 a cup of fresh parsley. You'll need some kind of a skewer to mold the meat around. We have one of those grills that you set up on top of your stove top. He brushed it with some olive oil so the meat wouldn't stick. With kebab, you want to cook it quickly, I think it only took 10 minutes total.

For falafel, we make enough for 6-7 meals and freeze it. I'm going off the top of my head here. You will need to soak 2 cups of dry chickpeas and 2 cups of dry fava beans over night. Throw the beans in the grinder a handful at a time. Add to the grinder corriander seeds, maybe 1/2 cup, 1 cup of fresh parsley chopped, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 medium onion, a handful of red pepper, and I think that's about it. You will need to grind the whole thing together at least twice, maybe even 3x. After grinding it, add salt and pepper and mix the whole thing with your hands. I'm not sure if you'll need to add an egg or not. When you go to make the falafel, roll it into balls and fry it in a deep fat fryer. Chop some lettuce and tomatoes and slices of pickles. The sauce is made with 1-2 cups of plain yogurt and 2-3 tbsp. of tahini (sesame seed paste). Eat it in a pita bread.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 02-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
righteous mama
Rose Garden

righteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond repute

You're killing me. We're having Kraft Mac n Cheese tonight 'cause dh works late. I'm drooling on my keyboard (not really). Yum!!!!!

I need a good idea for dinner for tomorrow night. Dh's birthday is the 29th and since there is no 29th this year, I want to make him a nice dinner tomorrow. He loves ethnic food...thai, indian, etc. Any ideas? PM me if you'd like.
mama to farmer girl (21) princess lionheart (16), and dandelion queen (11)

~infp~

Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power!
righteous mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
righteous mama
Rose Garden

righteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond repute

You're killing me. We're having Kraft Mac n Cheese tonight 'cause dh works late. I'm drooling on my keyboard (not really). Yum!!!!!

I need a good idea for dinner for tomorrow night. Dh's birthday is the 29th and since there is no 29th this year, I want to make him a nice dinner tomorrow. He loves ethnic food...thai, indian, etc. Any ideas? PM me if you'd like.
mama to farmer girl (21) princess lionheart (16), and dandelion queen (11)

~infp~

Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power!
righteous mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #10
Embracing Grace
Rose Trellis

Embracing Grace has disabled reputation

Wow! These are great! Keep 'em coming if you have more!

Josiah, 7
Judah, 3
Married to John
www.hebrew4christians.com
Embracing Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #11
Embracing Grace
Rose Trellis

Embracing Grace has disabled reputation

Wow! These are great! Keep 'em coming if you have more!

Josiah, 7
Judah, 3
Married to John
www.hebrew4christians.com
Embracing Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:12 AM   #12
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Tonight I am making fete dajaaj. Anything eaten over dried bread with a sauce is fete. Dajaaj=chicken

I boiled 5 chicken legs in plain water a couple of times and threw away the junk that rose to the top to clean it. The third time, I added cardomon pods, salt, and pepper. This is to take away the bad flavor/fleshy flavor from the chicken. Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover, and cook it until tender.

Take 2-3 pita breads and dry them out in the oven until crunchy. Break them up into smaller pieces. Or tear them before you dry them out in the oven.

Pour some of the water from the chicken over the pita bread until it becomes soft, but not too soggy, maybe 1-1 1/2 cups. Arrange the chicken on top of the bread.

Mix 2 cups of plain yogurt with 2-3 tbsp. tahini (sesame seed paste) and add one clove of crushed garlic to it.

Pour that over the chicken.

Right before serving, melt butter or margarine in a pan, say 1/2 cup. Add pinenuts or cashews to the butter/margarine.

Pour the butter and nuts over the whole thing. Eat then and there.

It's not exactly kosher, but it's delicious. Bon Appetit!

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 02-28-2006, 06:12 AM   #13
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Tonight I am making fete dajaaj. Anything eaten over dried bread with a sauce is fete. Dajaaj=chicken

I boiled 5 chicken legs in plain water a couple of times and threw away the junk that rose to the top to clean it. The third time, I added cardomon pods, salt, and pepper. This is to take away the bad flavor/fleshy flavor from the chicken. Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover, and cook it until tender.

Take 2-3 pita breads and dry them out in the oven until crunchy. Break them up into smaller pieces. Or tear them before you dry them out in the oven.

Pour some of the water from the chicken over the pita bread until it becomes soft, but not too soggy, maybe 1-1 1/2 cups. Arrange the chicken on top of the bread.

Mix 2 cups of plain yogurt with 2-3 tbsp. tahini (sesame seed paste) and add one clove of crushed garlic to it.

Pour that over the chicken.

Right before serving, melt butter or margarine in a pan, say 1/2 cup. Add pinenuts or cashews to the butter/margarine.

Pour the butter and nuts over the whole thing. Eat then and there.

It's not exactly kosher, but it's delicious. Bon Appetit!

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 02-28-2006, 06:28 AM   #14
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that chicken dish sounds so yummy!

Do you make your own pita or any other breads? I'd love recipes for them.

Also, if I don't have a meat grinder for the falafel, do you think any of these might work: baby food hand grinder, food processor, or hand blender?

Old 02-28-2006, 06:28 AM   #15
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that chicken dish sounds so yummy!

Do you make your own pita or any other breads? I'd love recipes for them.

Also, if I don't have a meat grinder for the falafel, do you think any of these might work: baby food hand grinder, food processor, or hand blender?