Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #271
homesteadmama
Rose Trellis

homesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diatomacious Earth ( DE ) thread :)

I recently saw a Naturopath who told me DE should not be taken continuously. She said it will start tearing up your insides if you do it for too long. So you should take breaks. I don't know how much of a DE expert she is, but that was her opinion

Sarah, INFJ
Wife to M since 1/04
Mommy to S (1/07), W (1/09), S (1/11)~My UC baby, and A (12/14), Another UC baby
, Baby-Wearing, , Cloth Diapering, , Traditional Foods Family
My blog
homesteadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to homesteadmama For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (03-10-2012), Hopetobe (03-01-2012), tempus vernum (03-01-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #272
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts on how quickly it should help diarrhea? I guess it depends on the severity of the digestive issues, hm? We've been taking it for about 2 weeks now, and DH and I improved digestively almost immediately, but we weren't as bad as J to begin with.

He's had diarrhea for as long as I can remember, and until recently I just never thought to ask myself if it was normal. I started him on 1/2 tbs for several days, then when I wasn't seeing much change, went up to 1 tbs, and today I gave him 1 1/2 tbs.

We have seen significant, gradual improvements in his autism symptoms lately, especially attention and eye contact, which we guess was either the DE or the one-dose remedy that the naturopath gave us the day after we started DE (although I'm more skeptical about that). But his BMs are still very watery and awful.

Thoughts?
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #273
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

How about switching over to Bentonite Clay?

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #274
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
How about switching over to Bentonite Clay?
I'm not really familiar with it... I'll have to do some digging to learn. Care to share more?

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
Old 03-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #275
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

also helps with digestive issues/gut healing a mama here had baby with bloody stools who was reacting to almost eveything she was eating in her B.milk and he really had a great deal of healing and started having normal stools when she started giving him BC There is a great deal of info about there but here isone soure:http://healthonabudget.com/how-to-na...entonite-clay/

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
MrsHutch (03-16-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #276
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
also helps with digestive issues/gut healing a mama here had baby with bloody stools who was reacting to almost eveything she was eating in her B.milk and he really had a great deal of healing and started having normal stools when she started giving him BC There is a great deal of info about there but here isone soure:http://healthonabudget.com/how-to-na...entonite-clay/
So it's really similar to DE? I'm confused about what the difference is... I mean, I get that they're made from different stuff, but they seem to do all the same things...

Last edited by MrsHutch; 03-16-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #277
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

bumping! curious about the continuous dosing, if it's good or not.

Our feed store has it in animal grade (which would be human grade too, if it's white enough)...and I really want to try it.

I have headaches and a sore jaw, DH takes a long time to poo and we're on a farm so we probably all have a bazillion parasites inside of us.
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
Shutterbug (08-24-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #278
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Our bodies require a certain amount of silica daily (i think its a tablespon? i once sited the amount here on gcm somewhere but its been awhile, maybe someone else knows, and can confirm that) . normally we would get it through our foods and water. but things have changed in this day and age that we often have to supplement what we can no longer naturally get. so depending on how much silica you are getting in your daily diet will depend on how much and if you should continously take it. Personally, we only take it as needed. Like when someone starts having growing or joint pains, or jaw pain, or teeth grinding.

I use to have asthma and I can say that DE bothered the heck out of it. If i was having some tenderness and drank my usual tablespoon, ouch!!. Same with when i would have colds that bothered my lungs, ouch! I guess its different for different people.

And clay does not clog up your pipes, so to speak It drives me batty to hear that but read it a lot on peoples sites. There are a lot of reasons that someone can get stopped up and not pass the clay, and whatever else in their intestines, but the clay is not the reason. Taking it with psyllium, in my opinion isnt good for you. If you need a supplement to take clay then you arent using it right. Also, the type of clay a person takes will effect how it passes through the intestines. Which is why we need to read and learn about the different silicas we take. They react differently.
Oh! and sometimes, DE can make things feel scratchy as a stool is being passed. That's not a good sign and shouldnt be ignored. If all these different clays and dirts are used properly and patiently, no one should be having discomfort. Thats why i am such a huge believer in "dirt" a little goes a long way.
me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (05-09-2012), Llee (05-04-2013), Shutterbug (08-24-2012), Stiina (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #279
Stiina
Rose Garden

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for your post, oh Wise Dirt Woman!
me (05-12-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #280
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

I had to share that our DE was recently tested by a certified independent lab for lead content, which revealed no measurable levels.

(same for Great Plains Detox brand of bentonite clay)

my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (08-30-2012), Hopetobe (08-20-2012), Stiina (08-20-2012), sweetpeasmommy (08-19-2012), Tandem mama (08-21-2012), tempus vernum (08-20-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #281
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'm going to do this.

Someone posted this link on facebook, and I'm curious what you guys (particularly "me") think of cycling like this: http://www.thenutritionalhealingcenter.com/parasites/
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #282
Shutterbug
Rose Bush

Shutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to all

DH and I started this a week ago. I haven't had any headaches! Not sure if it's a coincidence or not. We're trying for a baby though and I was wondering if anyone had any resources on its safety during pregnancy. I would imagine it's fine since it doesn't get absorbed into the bloodstream. Just curious.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #283
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Don't cycle DE, it works differently than herbs do.
If you are taking DE you dont need to take a special herbal blend for parasites. Just cycle in foods/herbs/teas daily into your diet that kills parasites, fresh is always better and it will be in amounts that our bodies are use to dealing with
me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (08-30-2012), Stiina (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #284
Stiina
Rose Garden

I was just going to poke you to come in here, me - thx for info!!! I think Karisa and I are going to share a bag of de *giddy*
DancingWithElves (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #285
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
DH and I started this a week ago. I haven't had any headaches! Not sure if it's a coincidence or not. We're trying for a baby though and I was wondering if anyone had any resources on its safety during pregnancy. I would imagine it's fine since it doesn't get absorbed into the bloodstream. Just curious.
as most things, DE has not been tested on pregnant women you should never do something you are not comfortable with during pregnancy.

I took DE during my last pregnancy with great results. for me it tends to be somewhat constipating (different people react differently), and so i had to be sure to manage that.
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
Shutterbug (08-30-2012)