Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #241
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation
Default Re: Diatomacious Earth ( DE ) thread :)

my very uneducated guess is, its detox. because they come and go so quickly. it happens on the skin, why not in the mouth. I use de or clay to get rid of sores in my mouth after we eat out sometimes.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Honestly, I gotta say I prefer poisoning the worm and getting it out all at once And I also suspect that the rice-shaped things are some other species of parasite. Poor kitty!

You know how DE can be sprinkled in your garden and it supposedly does not harm earthworms? I don't see how that could be, when you consider that many intestinal parasites are approximately the same size and shape as an earthworm, and in large animals (including humans) they can actually be as big as a very large earthworm. So either DE is not effective against roundworms etc. or DE is not safe for garden worms. One or the other
A positive side to that is if the cat is infested with parasites and they are comming out gradually you dont run as high of a risk of them tangling in a ball and causing an obstruction.

I agree with the pp, the link i gave you describes the eggs and names tapeworm.

I too wonder about the beneficial bugs and de. i think on the sites where they talk about using it in the garden they mention to be mindful of the good bugs. Just off memory cause I havent had a garden yet to use it in, or else i would have all sorts of bookmarks for that for you, lol
me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
FamilyLove (02-01-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #242
alexas

i am totally freaked out by reading this thread! we use DE in the yard, but I'd never heard of eating it.......does anyone know anything about DE and IBD? DH (and possibly DD1) have ulcerative colitis......could this help them, too?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #243
me
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexas View Post
i am totally freaked out by reading this thread! we use DE in the yard, but I'd never heard of eating it.......does anyone know anything about DE and IBD? DH (and possibly DD1) have ulcerative colitis......could this help them, too?
Im sure you know this already but please be sure you DO NOT eat the de you are using in the yard. Silicas are very beneficial for what you asking. You should do some googling on them I did a quick one and got this:
earthworks-"The presence of sufficient silica in the intestines will reduce inflammation of the intestinal tract. It can cause disinfection in the case of stomach and intestinal mucus and ulcers. Silica can prevent or clear up diarrhea and its opposite, constipation."

shirleyswellnesscafe-"Naturally absorbent and extremely gentle on the system, bentonite clay can treat various skin and internal ailments and attracts and neutralizes poisons in the intestinal tract. It can eliminate food allergies, food poisoning, mucus colitis, spastic colitis, viral infections, stomach flu, and parasites (parasites are unable to reproduce in the presence of clay). There is virtually no digestive disease that clay will not treat. It enriches and balances blood. It adsorbs radiation (think cell phones, microwaves, x-rays, TVs and irradiated food, for starters). It has been used for alcoholism, arthritis, cataracts, diabetic neuropathy, pain treatment, open wounds, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, stomach ulcers, animal and poisonous insect bites, acne, anemia, in fact, the list of uses is too long for this article. It was used during the Balkan war of 1910 to reduce mortality from cholera among the soldiers from sixty to three percent"

Hopefully, someone can give you a first hand testimony though.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

I've been sort of mulling over what ive been reading and what people have been saying like on the childrens vitamin thread(calcium), baby led feeding(enzymes), this de thread, and the poo thread(estrogen). So i googled to find the best explanation to explain how they all tie in together. "calcium is absorbed in small intestines. Not all calcium we consume will be absorbed. The amount of calcium absorbed is dependent on a number of factors such as the acidic condition in our intestines, Vitamin D level, estrogen level and the type of calcium supplement."healthkastle
Then I found this:
http://www.evolutionhealth.com/miner...deception.html
way to much for me to copy and paste but basically speaks of why its silica not mineral calcium that is of value.

Hooray for de! I hope if you buy calcium supplements or buy vitamins with calcium in it or have problems with your hormones or have joint problems you will take the time to read through the above and do some digging yourself. I found it super interesting
I can now also say without reservation that not only do i notice a difference in my periods but also i no longer have joint pains or need the rheumatoid arthritis referral because of de. I never felt comfortable saying it was because of de before now because i had nothing but my word that it took it away. But i guess I just had to plug in the right words in the old google machine since Im not an expert on digestion, hormones, or bone formation
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
gdzprncess (06-11-2011), sweetpeasmommy (02-04-2011), Taedareth (02-02-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #244
jtidwell
Rose Bush

jtidwell is just really nicejtidwell is just really nicejtidwell is just really nicejtidwell is just really nicejtidwell is just really nice

This runs through my mind whenever I see the thread title:

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis!

(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis for what I mean. Longest real word in the English language, if I recall correctly, or was at one time.)

But seriously, y'all be careful with this stuff. Don't breathe it, okay? There's a real risk of permanent lung damage, especially with the DE that isn't food-grade.

And it's an abrasive -- that's part of how it works on insects. (It also absorbs oils, so it dries out their waxy coating and causes them to dehydrate.) If I was getting mouth sores or stomach aches from consuming the stuff, I'd stop in a heartbeat... yikes!

I wonder how much dirt we're biologically "supposed" to eat for good health? And what kinds? Not a rhetorical question -- I'm really curious!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #245
krysmh
Climbing Rose

krysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nice

I was wondering about that myself... how fine is the powder? As a metal artist, it's been drilled into my head to exercise extreme caution with all silica containing products. Silicosis scares me.

However, I'm super intrigued. I bought some clay a year or two ago based on the thread here. I, um, never tried it. I wonder if it goes bad? Hmm. My DH and I both have different but definite digestive annoyances we'd love to solve.

I'm like child-sized tho - seriously... 80 lbs... so you think I could get away with trying a small dose? Things skeeve me out easily, and I have a sensitive tummy.

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
Mama to sweet little Isaiah 8/2010, and Princess Karina 4/2012
These three are my world

Where I record my thoughts: http://www.songofhersoul.com
krysmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #246
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

It's almost as fine as baby powder. You would take a child-size dose

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
me (02-06-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #247
me
Rose Garden

And just like baby powder we dont want to breath that in either,lol

My daughter is 8, weighs less than you, but still needs a heaping tablespoon. It really just depends on the persons individual needs. Start small and work up to the amount that you know is your amount for you
Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #248
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

If I make a past of the DE, will it help with a boil?
SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #249
holmama
Rose Blossom

holmama is just really niceholmama is just really niceholmama is just really niceholmama is just really niceholmama is just really nice

oh wow, i am so excited after reading this thread. The thought of parasites makes me ill but nobody seems to know how to get rid of them. Both me and my husband have digestive issues and I have strong food sensitivities. I would also enjoy losing a bit of weight and feeling more energetic/less down all the time!

I see people recommending a clay cleanse first? have never tried that but the clay baths have always intrigued me (altho they have been described to me as being sheer quakery....) So I just ordered some Earth's Living Clay to try out. Do I just mix with water and chug? Should I start out small and build up? Any experienced advice welcome
holmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #250
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

Send a PM to "me" - she knows everything about clay and will happily create a personalized healing regimen just for you

Also if you want to learn the science behind how and why high-quality clay works to heal your body, read the book by Perry A. I forget the title now but it's probably available from the store where you bought your clay.

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #251
justbreathe
Deactivated

Grumpy kitten is watching you

justbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I've read about 12 of the 17 pages and I'm completely out of time to read more. How do you give this to a baby? I can put it in a "milkshake" for my bigger two but I'm confused about the baby (almost 1, 26 lbs).
justbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #252
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasara View Post
Ok, I've read about 12 of the 17 pages and I'm completely out of time to read more. How do you give this to a baby? I can put it in a "milkshake" for my bigger two but I'm confused about the baby (almost 1, 26 lbs).
some expressed breastmilk? applesauce?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #253
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

Can I slip this into a mug of hot chocolate?

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #254
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

yes

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cobluegirl For This Useful Post:
MaybeGracie (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #255
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl View Post
yes
I was going to say no Because I can't imagine how it would mix in without shaking and I've found you REALLY need to shake hard to get it to mix in. . . but I suppose you could shake it somehow

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
MaybeGracie (06-02-2011)