Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Beverages *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fair trade Coffee

If you use it, what brand do you use? I like dark roasts (italian, espresso, french, etc).
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fair trade Coffee

Camano Island Coffee Roasters

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
swimming with sharks (11-09-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

We buy the packaged Starbucks coffee...I dont see the fair trade symbol on it but supposedly it is...

I miss the full circle FT coffee at BJs...but its not worth a membership I wont use otherwise.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Luciola
Rose Trellis

iNFp Type 2/1

Luciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond repute

equalexchangecoffee.coop - darkbreakfast blend
Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord View Post
We buy the packaged Starbucks coffee...I dont see the fair trade symbol on it but supposedly it is...

I miss the full circle FT coffee at BJs...but its not worth a membership I wont use otherwise.
Is this true about STBX?? That's what we currently use! I'd love to keep my coffee AND it be ft.

I have a BJ's membership that currently gets a hefty workout...I can check for that coffee if the stbx isn't ft.

I went and looked and indeed STBX says their packaged stuff is FT!! I'm glad I asked.
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds

Last edited by swimming with sharks; 11-09-2012 at 04:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to swimming with sharks For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

Starbucks is NOT fair trade. They did add a fair trade coffer label to their line-up but it is often very hard to find. Nothing is ever fair trade if it is doen't have the labels and recognized by the Fair Trade Comission.

I haven't found Kuerig options for fair trade very easily. I normally drink Green Mountain because it is fair trade and has the certification on the side.

When not using my Kuerig, I typically prefer Ethiopian Fair Trade. My favorite place to buy it is Dean's Beans which has less of a mark up than many fair trade suppliers. Green Mountain doesn't have Ethiopian in their Fair Trade line-up but I can find it locally and it fits in my budget, even if I normally drinnk their Sumatran.

I get paid for the first time in two weeks and I need to research. I REALLY want to find Ethiopian fair trade I can use with my Kuerig, even if I have to investigate whether I need to re-use K-cups somehow.

I'm a bit of a coffee snob. I've had far too many coffee blends directly from the international sources and I find far too many options imported to be lacking in what they are like at the source. I really, really like the flavor of the Ethiopian and if I can find it fair trade, it is my absolute favorite. The Sumatran I get from Green Mountain tastes like it's weaker than just grinds. I probably need to just give the Kuerig to the boys and go back to my French Press for me, except the boys would bankrupt me that way.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TestifyToLove For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

So it looks like they made up a name (CAFE) rather than using the FT stuff.
Here's a link to the Starbucks program
I wonder what's different between the two? Anyone know? Their program 'sounds' good but in reality is it?

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

so doing more searching (in case anyone else is interested...) I found this so it looks like STBUX has 1 variety of coffee that is fair trade.
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds

Old 11-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
Kazimiera
Rose Bouquet

I am no longer an ostrich

Kazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud of

Starbucks coffee is ethically sourced and they work to make it sustainably grown. They do everything they can to support their growers and have extra initiatives that work to improve life in the locals where their coffee is grown and roasted. So although it is true that all of their coffees do not have the "fair trade" label. It is a coffee I can feel good about purchasing.

It is pronounced: Kazj-MERE-rah
Talking to a secular audience about spiritual matters is like doing card tricks on the radio.

-Mary Carr
Kazimiera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kazimiera For This Useful Post:
swimming with sharks (11-09-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

Starbucks still buys on the same market as companies such as Nestle, Johnson & Johnson, and Proctor & Gamble. They are extremely resisitive to complying with accepted norms for Fair Trade and instead developed their own program which only exists in one or two places, only filters into ONE label of their coffees and is NOT recognized Fair Trade.

No one can understand why Starbucks insists upon this and it is one criticism I actually hold against the company. Growers in several countries petitioned Starbucks to enter Fair Trade and consumers have petitioned for the same, yet they refuse. There is a REASON you need to look for Fair Trade labeling on products. There are only 2 Fair Trade organizations that truly check to make sure it is FAIR TRADE and not merely a label put onto a product to raise prices.

Starbucks is not fair trade. Whatever they are claiming in their own program only applies to that one program AND there is no oversight to it. There is NO indepdent party that has looked at whatever this alternative they claim is actually doing. Unless you are purchasing that one label, then it's not even that program. It's just open market coffee if it's not that program.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TestifyToLove For This Useful Post:
PaperMomma (11-09-2012), swimming with sharks (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
chasingbutterflies
Rose Garden

chasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.aspirecoffeeworks.com/

We like their bold. With that said, neither of us are connoisseurs.

chasingbutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
justbreathe
Deactivated

Grumpy kitten is watching you

justbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond repute

The Sam's choice brand I've been buying from Walmart says it's Fair Trade. (though I haven't researched it at all) It's very economical and the decaf is Organic, though I don't thinkit's fair trade.
justbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestifyToLove View Post
Starbucks is NOT fair trade. They did add a fair trade coffer label to their line-up but it is often very hard to find. Nothing is ever fair trade if it is doen't have the labels and recognized by the Fair Trade Comission.

I haven't found Kuerig options for fair trade very easily. I normally drink Green Mountain because it is fair trade and has the certification on the side.

When not using my Kuerig, I typically prefer Ethiopian Fair Trade. My favorite place to buy it is Dean's Beans which has less of a mark up than many fair trade suppliers. Green Mountain doesn't have Ethiopian in their Fair Trade line-up but I can find it locally and it fits in my budget, even if I normally drinnk their Sumatran.

I get paid for the first time in two weeks and I need to research. I REALLY want to find Ethiopian fair trade I can use with my Kuerig, even if I have to investigate whether I need to re-use K-cups somehow.

I'm a bit of a coffee snob. I've had far too many coffee blends directly from the international sources and I find far too many options imported to be lacking in what they are like at the source. I really, really like the flavor of the Ethiopian and if I can find it fair trade, it is my absolute favorite. The Sumatran I get from Green Mountain tastes like it's weaker than just grinds. I probably need to just give the Kuerig to the boys and go back to my French Press for me, except the boys would bankrupt me that way.

Do you know about the reusable K-cups you can buy and put regular coffee in? You probably did, but I wanted to let you know, in case you hadn't seen them.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady TS For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (11-09-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #13
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady TS View Post
Do you know about the reusable K-cups you can buy and put regular coffee in? You probably did, but I wanted to let you know, in case you hadn't seen them.
I was gonna tell her about the same thing!
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #14
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

Emerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond repute

I drink Kicking Horse, they have a good variety.

http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/

French-Canadian / Reader / TrailRunner / T4 / INTj / Wife to S
SAHM to 3 DS
Z (8.5) M (6.5) and T (3.5)
Adopting from China
Emerald Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #15
doubleblessings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Can I have this dance?

doubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond repute

TTL, not specifically Ethiopian, but you might try
http://www.keurig.com/coffee/africana-coffee-k-cup-vh

Also, the patent has expired so you will start seeing more companies selling their own coffee in k-cups when they get production facilities up and running since they don't have to contract with Green Mountain now to do it.

This is the reusable k-cup we have. I think there are a few more options out now, not sure if they are better.

Oh and I don't drink much coffee, but when I do it is Green Mountain (or one we can get from them). Right now it we have pumpkin spice