Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute
Default How soon before bedtime do you stop eating? What do you think is best?

I read recently that it's healthy to stop eating 3 hours before bedtime, but I don't know if I can go that long. What do you do? What do you think is best (and why, if possible!)?

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
SalH (01-13-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Kirkie
Rose Bouquet

Kirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to all
Default Re: How soon before bedtime do you stop eating? What do you think is best?

Last edited by Kirkie; 01-20-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirkie For This Useful Post:
flowermama (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How soon before bedtime do you stop eating? What do you think is best?

I have always heard 2-3 hrs but then recently read someplace that it can interfere with sleep/healing not to have some glucose for brain to use while sleeping. http://blog.sethroberts.net/2013/11/...mproves-sleep/

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
flowermama (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

If I feel hungry I eat, regardless of what time it is. I have no scientific basis for this. I just don't like feeling hungry and I figure my body knows what it needs.

There are also times I just want a snack because it tastes good. As long as I don't overindulge I think that's fine. It doesn't seem to have caused me any damage.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (01-09-2016), cbmk4 (01-05-2016), domesticzookeeper (01-12-2016), everybody's mother (01-08-2016), flowermama (01-05-2016), MaybeGracie (01-05-2016), Soliloquy (01-08-2016), sweetpeasmommy (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is that if I eat before bed, I wake up hungry. If I don't eat, I'm not hungry for several hours after I wake up.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (01-05-2016), flowermama (01-05-2016), mommylove (01-05-2016), SalH (01-13-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
Kirkie
Rose Bouquet

Kirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to allKirkie is a name known to all

Last edited by Kirkie; 01-20-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirkie For This Useful Post:
flowermama (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I don't eat anything after dinner. I will drink water in the evening but I won't eat.

I am an early to bed girl tho. I would say the time between dinner and bedtime for me is usually about 2 to 3 hours...
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
flowermama (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llee View Post
All I know is that if I eat before bed, I wake up hungry. If I don't eat, I'm not hungry for several hours after I wake up.
Same here.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
flowermama (01-05-2016), Llee (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #9
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
I don't eat anything after dinner. I will drink water in the evening but I won't eat.

I am an early to bed girl tho. I would say the time between dinner and bedtime for me is usually about 2 to 3 hours...
This, all of this.

I do drink tea though. MAybe I will start putting honey in my bedtime tea now and see if I notice any difference. That blog was interesting. It certainly wont hurt.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
flowermama (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #10
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping in mind I am still nursing, I wake up so hungry I can't sleep if I go that long before bed without eating. I try for us to have a late enough dinner with plenty of filling things, and then I can make it til morning, and maybe not even need to eat right away when I wake up. I don't need to feel stuffed full, but if I am even a little hungry then I have a snack before bed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OnAMission For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (01-08-2016), flowermama (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #11
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to laugh. I am sitting in bed, browsing GCM with my dinner plate on my lap!!

Ideally, I don't eat this late, but I worked until 9 tonight. I usually don't eat anything within a few hours of bedtime, but do awake early very hungry for breakfast.

Mama to my four dear children ages 22, 19, (forever 13) and 10
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cbmk4 For This Useful Post:
flowermama (01-05-2016), SalH (01-13-2016), tempus vernum (01-10-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 07:56 PM   #12
PlateauMama
Rose Trellis

PlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond reputePlateauMama has a reputation beyond repute

I read that too, but I can't do it , so I also want to see what other people say. I can't sleep well if I'm hungry. (And I'm sure adults and kids are different, but my two girls are the same way, they need to eat not too long before bed or they can't sleep).
Havi (April '07)
My wild flower Zan (June '09)
My hon bun Loam Loam (Oct. '16)
PlateauMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PlateauMama For This Useful Post:
flowermama (01-05-2016), tempus vernum (01-10-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:39 PM   #13
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlateauMama View Post
I read that too, but I can't do it , so I also want to see what other people say. I can't sleep well if I'm hungry. (And I'm sure adults and kids are different, but my two girls are the same way, they need to eat not too long before bed or they can't sleep).
I'll eat 1/2 serving of walnuts if I'm hungry after dinner. I'm not usually hungry after dinner though. Yes, I weigh the walnuts to be sure it's half a serving.

Flowermama, with all your exercising, Id est if I were you and were hungry.

It's pretty easy for me to delay breakfast. Let's start another thread on that.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
flowermama (01-05-2016), PlateauMama (01-05-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #14
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

A thought I had this morning is that it's hard to pin this down as a general rule due to differing diets of people. A steak 2 hours before bedtime is waaaay different than a pile of grains & veggies 2 hours before bedtime. Flowermama, I would guess your dinners process rather quickly. Another thing is whether you fill your belly at dinner or if you stop at almost full.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
flowermama (01-08-2016), MercyInDisguise (01-08-2016), teamommy (01-09-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I think it varies and there's no hard and fast rule. When I'm pregnant I get so hungry that my stomach feels like it's going to digest itself if I don't eat. It also depends on whether I ate a heavy meal for dinner or a lighter one.

Typically, I don't eat after dinner. But, if I felt hungry I wouldn't think twice about having a snack.

There's a book, "Potatoes, not Prozac," that recommends half a baked potato for those with depression at bedtime (along with other things).

The Leptin peoplec say no snacking so that your liver can use up its store of glucose.

You can find studies to support for any way you want to do it.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (01-08-2016), flowermama (01-08-2016), MercyInDisguise (01-08-2016), teamommy (01-09-2016)