Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default this all sound like a gluten reaction or something else?

Margaret ate a pizza lunchable at someone elses house. SO not just Gluten exposure but gross extra processed gluten exposure..
She our first sign of something wrong was an explosive bowel accident where I had her tell me everything she'd eaten and the discovery of the lunchable incident.
That night she started screaming complaining she was soooo hot. I went to her and yes she just looked miserable her arms face stomach legs etc were just "red" and almost hot to the touch and she was covered in sweat. Our weather isn't really hot or super cold but the inside tempeture at night is on the cooler side (like upper 60s) so their was no real reason why she'd be so hot..
She cried that she was soo hot and how her tummy hurt, we had a rough night they heat was gone in the AM but she been eating very little the last day or so. Like she says she is hungry but her stomach doesn't want but a bite or two.
does the hot skin sound like gluten reaction?
Llee (01-19-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: this all sound like a gluten reaction or something else?

Not one I am familiar with, but they are so varied.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

Not typical, but it certainly would seem she was reacting to something. I would be concerned about her reactions escalating.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Was there a rash or anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
Was there a rash or anything?

no nothing like hives etc.. She just kept screaming that she was on fire. her face arms and stomach seemed almost puffy and kind of red its hard to describe. Her skin physically felt really hot but no fever.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #6
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

Huh...I've had hot flashes and nausea as a reaction, but it wasn't visible at all. It just felt like it should be.
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #7
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes. bring that up to her doctor. It sounds kind of scary. And my guess is that it is related to the food allergy.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
knitlove (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 02:45 AM   #8
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Between the cramping pain and the big D, I have become so hot that I have had to strip while in the bathroom. Then break out in a cold sweat and feel very faint.

If the odor was one of the most horrible, then I would say very likely it is a gluten reaction.

After a bout, my stomach feels very bruised and I can only eat a few bites and that will sit in my stomach heavy like a brick for hours.

I have found that broth with cabbage in small amounts, seems to help ease my stomach, but it takes a few days for my stomach to return to 'normal.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
deena (01-19-2016), milkmommy (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #9
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
Between the cramping pain and the big D, I have become so hot that I have had to strip while in the bathroom. Then break out in a cold sweat and feel very faint.

If the odor was one of the most horrible, then I would say very likely it is a gluten reaction.

After a bout, my stomach feels very bruised and I can only eat a few bites and that will sit in my stomach heavy like a brick for hours.

I have found that broth with cabbage in small amounts, seems to help ease my stomach, but it takes a few days for my stomach to return to 'normal.
pretty much yes to all of this. She doesn't so much get crampy that I know of she does get very explosive loose bowels where she has zero chance of making it to a potty in time. Very gasey smelly ones as well. We kept looking around her room thinking she'd had another because she was still so gassy latter.
Last night she was crying her toes itched which for us is another I ate gluten marker but kind of the last sign before she starts to mend so it is both annoying and a welcomed event.
The brick stomach sounds a lot like what she was describing the past few days. (though she woke up today demanding a "squishy cup" (mandarin oranges) so hopefully the worst is over.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTX View Post
Huh...I've had hot flashes and nausea as a reaction, but it wasn't visible at all. It just felt like it should be.
Maybe it was just me reacting to her screams and how she physically felt hot that to me she "looked" it too. I wish I'd had Cecilia and or DH look to to see if they saw the same.
At five she can whine a ton and be overly dramatic but this was different something was clearly hurting her.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #10
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
Not typical, but it certainly would seem she was reacting to something. I would be concerned about her reactions escalating.
I wouldn't. The longer you are off gluten, when you have an issue with it especially, the worse the reactions get when you have an exposure. *eta especially the first few months*

It sounds like it could be related. She didn't have a fever?

Eta: I just saw that she didn't have a fever. Never mind. It does sound like gluten.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

I haven't had a real gluten exposure in 4.5 years (trace exposures made me miserable but not a "I took a bite of that gluten thing." Situation)...but even my trace exposures leave me feeling sick and yucky...I can't imagine how sick I would be if I ate a whole gluten thing.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.

Last edited by ValiantJoy07; 01-19-2016 at 03:11 PM.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
knitlove (01-19-2016), Maedchen (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #11
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

thankfully she doesn't seem to have reactions with possible trace foods. Like Ive been able to safely food her from a few restaurants and even fast food in a pinch and we haven't seem reactions. She can also handle touching wheat.. so like she can do play doh with out reacting.. We try to limit as much as possible and all of course.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to bring her to an allergist and do skin testing? Her reactions seem to be getting worse and the skin thing suggests an IgE mediated allergy of some sort. It concerns me that she's having multiple body systems affected where it used to be just the gut IIRC. If she straight up has a wheat allergy, it might make it easier to altogether avoid it because it can escalate to a contact allergy. C can touch it now that he's been gf for six years but when he kept being exposed he couldn't.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #13
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
Is it possible to bring her to an allergist and do skin testing? Her reactions seem to be getting worse and the skin thing suggests an IgE mediated allergy of some sort. It concerns me that she's having multiple body systems affected where it used to be just the gut IIRC. If she straight up has a wheat allergy, it might make it easier to altogether avoid it because it can escalate to a contact allergy. C can touch it now that he's been gf for six years but when he kept being exposed he couldn't.

I dont think things are more new as we didn't relate them to a reaction before. Like she was impossible to potty train before she always complained of itching. The burning skin was new but she got a major exposure after going quite a while without any.