Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this a migraine?

I had migraines as a child but it didn't feel like this. Woke up feeling fine. Exercised and got around and went outside to the car to rise the kids to school and my head suddenly started hurting between by eyebrows. It was piercing and I thought so to the cold. Dropped the kids off and went to work. Head began to feel worse and like nausea was coming on and slight vertigo. I left work after 20 minutes and came home to increasing nausea. I was hot and cold at the same time. And sensitive to the light.

Came home. Got sick to my stomach twice and slept three of the last four and half hours which is really unlike me. I almost never nap even when sick. Vertigo is mostly gone but muscle weakness is here. I've alternated Tylenol and Advil and my head still hurts through it but not as bad.

If this is a migraine how do I figure out what triggered it?

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a migraine?

Has any one had the flu around you? Have u checked for fever? We're u sick because or the pain? It doesnt sound like migraines i used to get but that doesn't mean it isn't one.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Psyche (01-28-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Was the pain on one side of the head or both? A migraine is more likely to be on one side only. Can be on either side. It's funny because it is very painful on one side, and then you move over just a tiny bit to the other side and no pain at all. Migraines can be both sides but it is rare.

Between the eyebrows is a likely source for an icepick headache, too, but those tend to pulsate more- they come and go. On a few seconds, off, on a few seconds, off. Usually they don't come with vertigo and nausea, though.

Anyway I hope you feel better- that sounds awful! I would say it could easily be a virus as well. I would say if the pain was one side of the head only it would be more likely to be a migraine but if it was on both sides, more likely a virus. I'm not sure, though- could be either way.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Psyche (01-28-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute

No no flu. And the headache has stayed between my eyes. I'm guessing the pain and vertigo caused the nausea. I'm feeling a bit better now but still really weak. It's just so weird.

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
mamamonkey
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I Batman!

mamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I am a chronic migraineur. And I think it DOES sound like a migraine. My usual triggers are lack of sleep (or disrupted sleep pattern), menstrual cycle (week before my period), barometric pressure changes, and stress. If it lasted more than 24 hours, that is more suspicious for migraine as well.

They stink.
to the spider monkey (6)
to the orangutan (17)
and to Piper Bee (the capuchin's twin) 10/14
mamamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamamonkey For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (01-27-2016), everybody's mother (01-31-2016), Psyche (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

That describes my migraines pretty well except the epicenter of the pain is always above my right eyebrow.

FWIW learning to stimulate the vagus nerve has stopped them.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Psyche (01-28-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #7
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I have migraines that sound like that - especially the vertigo, nausea and sensitivity to light.

Sorry that happened
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Psyche (01-28-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post

FWIW learning to stimulate the vagus nerve has stopped them.
Please explain!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ChristmasGirl (02-01-2016), Psyche (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #9
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Please explain!
I never want that to happen again

Old 01-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I had migraines that were pretty much only triggered by coffee and wheat. Whenever I had one I always felt that if I could only release some of the pressure in my head it would go away. Thanksgiving of 2015 I bought the streaming of a new T-Tapp workout called First Steps. It was one of the best things I ever did. I had pretty bad SPD that was gone within 3 days. In addition, I felt something happening in my head and neck during certain moves. And I had this instinct that I could eat wheat again. I waited about awhile because I was SCARED to even try eating wheat. I had eaten some wheat a few months earlier and wasn't able to even get out of bed for 3 days. Anyway, I finally tried a little and nothing happened. Then I added a little more ... I've been totally fine. I wasn't sure what was happening but I wrote to Teresa Tapp about my SPD pain going away and that I suspected my migraines were gone, too. That's when she told me she designed First Steps to specifically stimulate the vagus nerve (and stretch the fascia). I started reading about the vagus nerve and saw that learning how to stimulate it can alleviate depression & migraines among other things.

Humming is one way. You can Google "vagus nerve migraine" and find more info.

If you're interested in First Steps it won't be available on DVD until summer.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Psyche (01-29-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 09:37 PM   #11
everybody's mother
Rose Bouquet

everybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like some of my migraines. My go to remedy-if its bad or I can't go lay down in a cool dark room- is one regular strength aspirin plus one regular strength ibprofen plus one cup regular coffee. You should start feeling relief by the time you finish the coffee. There used to be an over the counter med that had those amounts of those drugs-aspirin, ibprofen and caffeine- but it isn't available anymore. It was the only thing that ever worked for me.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk
everybody's mother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to everybody's mother For This Useful Post:
Psyche (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #12
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a lot like migraines I have had.

I had one yesterday - the location was different (left side only) and I only threw up once (I have never thrown up more than 1 time with a migraine, usually once my stomach is empty I am not sick again).

But it came on suddenly and meds didn't help (and I have prescription - it's that NSAId that begins with the letter K and Ondansertron ?sp? for them).

I am still very muscle weak today.

Oh and this is a new symptom starting last August with them. I get post-migraine neck aches.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Psyche (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #13
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Hugs all around. I'm sorry so many of us get these.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psyche For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-01-2016), twoplustwo (02-03-2016)