Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chicken pox

I think my ds14 has chicken pox. He's running a fever and has a few small blister-like spots on his trunk and face. He says they are a little itchy.

My oldest has been vaccinated. Do I need to quarantine her?

My younger three have not. Do I quarantine them until ds is better? I know you can be contagious for a time before you show symptoms.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Also, do I have to take him to the doctor for "proof" that he's had the chicken pox so that he doesn't have to get the vaccine? We've been catching up on vaccines this year and we hadn't gotten to varicella yet.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Also, do I need to quarantine myself? Can I pass it on? Co-op is tomorrow and I could potentially go teach and dd could go and I could leave the rest of the kids at home with dad. Is that considered okay?

Sorry for the questions. I don't think we've ever dealt with an infectious disease other than a cold.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicken pox

I would ask for an Rx for an antiviral if that can help learn the severity of his symptoms - iirc you have to start it right away for it to be effective. At his age the disease is more likely to be painful and miserable. Otherwise I'd call your doctor and see what they say. Incubation period is 14-21 days so you may need to quarantine for awhile.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Honestly, if I were in your shoes I would get the younger the vaccinated asap to hopefully prevent them acquiring the disease, I'd also skip coop tomorrow because potentially exposing others isn't something I'd feel comfortable with unless you know they're OK with chicken pox (many parents aren't these days).

Last edited by Katigre; 02-04-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
I would ask for an Rx for an antiviral if that can help learn the severity of his symptoms - iirc you have to start it right away for it to be effective. At his age the disease is more likely to be painful and miserable. Otherwise I'd call your doctor and see what they say. Incubation period is 14-21 days so you may need to quarantine for awhile.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Honestly, if I were in your shoes I would get the younger the vaccinated asap to hopefully prevent them acquiring the disease, I'd also skip coop tomorrow because potentials exposing others isn't something I'd feel comfortable with unless you know they're OK with chicken pox (many parents aren't these days).
Really? Vaccinated asap? If they've been exposed and are already sick without symptoms, won't that be a bad thing?

I did call the doctor's office and talked to a nurse. She didn't mention an antiviral.

We are definitely quarantining the younger three. I just found out that the oldest isn't considered completely immunized because she only had one dose of the vaccine. She's 16 and involved in everything under the sun. She's going to freak out if I quarantine her and she doesn't end up getting it. I will though, if that's what I should do.
Katigre (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on how long they've been exposed the vaccine might be able to prevent getting the disease - if their exposure is from your DS which means they have 2-3 weeks until they'd get sick. If they were exposed from the same source as your DS then there vaccine wouldn't change anything.

For your Dd I'd get her the second shot asap and probably feel comfortable with her not being quarantined.

Antivirals are given only in higher risk situations so you're DS isn't in that category.

Note: chicken pox is a vaccine that I changed my mind about last year and started vaccinating my children for it.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
Depending on how long they've been exposed the vaccine might be able to prevent getting the disease - if their exposure is from your DS which means they have 2-3 weeks until they'd get sick. If they were exposed from the same source as your DS then there vaccine wouldn't change anything.

For your Dd I'd get her the second shot asap and probably feel comfortable with her not being quarantined.

Antivirals are given only in higher risk situations so you're DS isn't in that category.

Note: chicken pox is a vaccine that I changed my mind about last year and started vaccinating my children for it.
Well, I looked up the antiviral and it's recommended for otherwise healthy persons over the age of 12. I just called the office and told the nurse to ask the doctor about it. And I asked her to ask the doctor about getting them the vaccines. I'm waiting for her to call back with recommendations from the doctor.

My friends's kids have had chicken pox, but her daughter got shingles last week. Ds babysat for them the week before. So could that be the exposure? If so, both my sons were there, but daughters were not.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding of shingles is that only touching the rash itself can be contagious. In other words, it is not airborne. However, if the girl had touched her itchy spots, then touched something else that your son touched, then maybe your son could have gotten it.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhfly View Post
My understanding of shingles is that only touching the rash itself can be contagious. In other words, it is not airborne. However, if the girl had touched her itchy spots, then touched something else that your son touched, then maybe your son could have gotten it.
That might make sense. I don't know when her rash started. I'm texting the mom now.

It was 14 days between babysitting her and his getting a fever yesterday.
mamacat (02-04-2016), OnAMission (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #8
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that shingles can be very contagious. If exposure was 14 days before he got spots, I would definitely say that was where he got it.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

My DH got the varicella vaccine post exposure to prevent a worse case.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
OnAMission (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

If your youngers are not vaccinated because you changed your mind on that vax, you do not need to start vaccinating again. They have already been exposed, and getting the illness over with younger is better.
Quarantining the infected and the exposed who havent had it yet is considerate to others. You should be ok to go to co-op yourself, though, if you've had it.

Last edited by SamRose; 02-04-2016 at 12:42 PM.
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SamRose For This Useful Post:
OnAMission (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #10
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

If you have had chicken pox, I think you would be fine to go to co-op. Definitely leave the kids home, though.

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Old 02-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #11
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Really do some research on antivirals the side effects can be great and can actually interfere with them having an immunity to the disease.IME if you are going in for a vax you just say the child has already had CP - shouldnt have to go in for a visit for that. Your littles have already been exposed so wouldnt even consider giving them a vax at this point,personally. The person with CP is contagious before any spots ever appear for several days.You may want to consider using Liposomal Vit C to lessen the syptoms since he is older than 12 and shorten the healing process

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Yes CP does typically have a 10 to 14 day incubation period.Did he have cold type symptoms a day or 2 before the fever?

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #12
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
Really do some research on antivirals the side effects can be great and can actually interfere with them having an immunity to the disease.IME if you are going in for a vax you just say the child has already had CP - shouldnt have to go in for a visit for that. Your littles have already been exposed so wouldnt even consider giving them a vax at this point,personally. The person with CP is contagious before any spots ever appear for several days.You may want to consider using Liposomal Vit C to lessen the syptoms since he is older than 12 and shorten the healing process
I wouldn't do anti-virals either.

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
sweetpeasmommy (02-18-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

Technically, I'd have to keep my kids away from people for 21 days after the last contagious day. So that's over a month. I don't think I've ever heard of that kind of quarantine for chicken pox. I asked a few local people and they don't seem to think I have to keep them away until I see symptoms.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #14
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds reasonable because they may not get it.Would only start to quarrantine if they have any cold symptoms at all start - runny nose etc.Also have always heard that once sores have scabs on them you are good.esp. for a kid your sons age - not like he would be in daycare sharing toys

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #15
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to keep them home before 10 days after exposure...and from 10-16 days is probably enough. We had it blowing through the crunchy community here.

I'll be back with links for treatment.

It was no big deal for absolutely everyone here...was uncomfortable for 3-4 days.

My BIL who is nearly 50 got it last year and was out for two weeks. My sister didn't want links when I offered them. Their loss.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote