Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 PM   #16
squirt_mama
Seedling Rose

squirt_mama is a glorious beacon of lightsquirt_mama is a glorious beacon of lightsquirt_mama is a glorious beacon of lightsquirt_mama is a glorious beacon of lightsquirt_mama is a glorious beacon of lightsquirt_mama is a glorious beacon of lightsquirt_mama is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Chicken pox

Ummm... Can I bring my 2 littles over for a chicken pox party??
#kiddingnotkidding #lifelongnaturalimmunity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squirt_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squirt_mama For This Useful Post:
deena (02-18-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #17
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirt_mama View Post
Ummm... Can I bring my 2 littles over for a chicken pox party??
#kiddingnotkidding #lifelongnaturalimmunity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd love to meet a gcm, so come on!
Old 02-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #18
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

How is he doing?

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #19
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
How is he doing?
He's pretty miserable. Yesterday was the worst so far. He woke up two nights ago and threw up. He felt better afterwards. He's been taking benadryl at night and I think that helps. We've done an oatmeal bath, but he said the itching was worse while actually in the bath, though better afterwards. We've done baking soda dissolved in water and dabbed that all over and let dry. That helps. I've given him Tylenol a couple of times just for pain relief and fever relief, though were mostly letting his fever do it's work.

He missed Disciple Now this weekend which is a local youth retreat where they stay at host homes and do community service with a group of kids their age. I'm upset for him that he had to miss it. He's already missed one baseball game and will probably miss all three this coming week. I think missing stuff is worse than dealing with the chicken pox.

He's been binge watching his favorite tv show, Psych. So there is some upside to it all. I might get him his favorite ice cream or something today.

And I think he feels hideous with pox all over his face.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

This morning his throat is hurting so bad it's hard to swallow.

But no new spots on the section of his back that we circled with Sharpie marker.
deena (02-18-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #20
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

bentonite clay in baths and then used as a paste instead of using something like calamine is really supposed to help with itching and healing process.As hard as it is it doesnt sound like he is ill in a concerning way with high fevers an that kind of thing.After sores are more scabbed over using raw honey will really help not to have scarring.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 02-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #21
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

He might have pox inside his throat - that tends to be more common with teens who get it (at least the people I know who got that were teens). I hope he feels better soon!
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #22
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
He might have pox inside his throat - that tends to be more common with teens who get it (at least the people I know who got that were teens). I hope he feels better soon!
I know the doctor didn't see any on Friday morning, but yes, it's possible. They suggested gargling with mylanta to help with discomfort, so I might try that today.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
bentonite clay in baths and then used as a paste instead of using something like calamine is really supposed to help with itching and healing process.As hard as it is it doesnt sound like he is ill in a concerning way with high fevers an that kind of thing.After sores are more scabbed over using raw honey will really help not to have scarring.
How much clay would you use in a bath? I made my own bath soak with oatmeal, epsom, baking soda, and essential oils, but like I said, it made him itch worse when he was actually in the bath, though it helped afterwards.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #23
mamacat
Rose Garden

4 Tblspoons per full bath tub.would really use the thicker clay paste tho on face and dabbed on any places that are actively itching.Is supposed to stop itch right away.The honey too but if you use that on body you go around all sticky where the clay dries.it may be the heat of the bathwater makes the itching worse during bath too.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
heartofjoy (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #24
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't put EO in the water, just oatmeal alone.

Put oatmeal in an old sock or pantyhose, let it soak in the hot water, and squeeze out the liquid oat residue into the bath, and use it like a sponge to dab the oatmeal directly on skin.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.

Last edited by Quiteria; 02-07-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 07:10 PM   #25
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

Of all my kids, the oldest had it the worst (as expected), including a few in his throat. Cough drops and I think cold jello is how we dealt with those on the day they bothered him.
As for baths, the thing my kids found most helpful was taking a warm bath with an old knee high nylon full of oatmeal (I double layered the nylon and we had no mess in the tub). Squeezing the oat water all over their bodies while they relaxed in the tub was very soothing. (getting dried off afterwards wasnt real fun, but it was worth it)
The itching was only bad enough to warrant those baths for 1-2 days. Hopefully your boy is over the worst of it by now.
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamRose For This Useful Post:
heartofjoy (02-07-2016), Quiteria (02-07-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #26
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

So my other 4 kids got the chicken pox vaccine on 2/5, three days after Jordan started running a fever. My oldest had already had one vaccine when she was little. The others had not had any.

My younger two have the chicken pox now, but it's not exactly like what Jordan had. They both were feverish and sick for two days. On the third day, spots began to appear. The 4th day was a few more spots but they felt better, no fever. The fifth day they are back to normal as far as energy, but they are itchy. The spots looks different, more like mosquito bites. They aren't really getting blister-like.

My question: Do I still need to get them the second dose of the vaccine or do you think I can skip it?
Old 02-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #27
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

I've have your MD document that they had actual CP, and that should be fine. The only reason you'd need the 2nd would be to fulfill vaccine requirements, which you can bypass by showing they've had the actual disease.
everybody's mother (02-20-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #28
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I've have your MD document that they had actual CP, and that should be fine. The only reason you'd need the 2nd would be to fulfill vaccine requirements, which you can bypass by showing they've had the actual disease.
Will a doctor document without seeing the patient? I don't want to take them in to the doctor.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #29
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

Call and ask.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #30
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why a child got shingles. Is the disease morphing? Is it because of the vaccine? Exposure to other people's chicken pox when you've already had it REDUCES your risk of shingles. Is it because no one is exposed anymore?

Also, (hypothetically since this isn't an issue anymore) Could we talk about why the younger kids should get vaccinated? I thought that if you weren't vaccinating against chicken pox you were assuming your kids would get it and hoping the sooner the better because the younger a person is the "easier" it is.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
Will a doctor document without seeing the patient? I don't want to take them in to the doctor.
They could also just get titers done the next time they get blood work. Seems easier to me than dragging them into the office.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote