Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

View Poll Results: Please check as many as apply and also answer the questions in the first post if you have time!
I've been to a classical homeopath 22 11.00%
I practice classical homeopathy at home. 22 11.00%
We use combination remedies at home. 57 28.50%
I've read books on homeopathy. 25 12.50%
I'm curious about homeopathy. 68 34.00%
What's homeopathy? 6 3.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #16
Katydid
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Katydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homeopathy Poll & Support Thread

marking this thread....
Old 11-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #17
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

Living and Loving..Against the Stream

Ima LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi*Mum
Homeopathic books I've found helpful: I can't get to the box where my books are right now :/

Combination remedies that have worked in my family: All of the Native Remedies have been great. I used Focus and Bright Spark to help with DS1 hyperactive issues and his lack of being able to..well...focus.

Conditions/illnesses that have been successfully treated via homeopathy (classical or combination): DDs yeast rash was finally cleared with Lavender and Calendula infused oil I prepared at home. Burt's Bees Eye serum has helped DS1 psoriasis on his gogo and his eye as well as the Kefir. I use nothing but homeopthic remedies for all our ailments, it's so hard to sit here and think about what I have done in the past with excellent results. I think it is all about trial and error. Studying what one herb does and then seeing if you can get the desired results and if not, then find another or a combination of herbs to help heal.

Share your personal experience w/ a classical homeopath: Our family practitioner is a homeopath. She is an MD, but treats as a homeopath, so if need be, she can write an RX which we love because our insurance pays for her 100% She is wise and I feel safe having her as our care provider.
FYI, , herbal remedies are not considered homeopathic.

Homeopathy defined -- http://www.homeopathicdoctor.com/page8.html

Quote:
Homeopathy is the art and the science of healing the sick by using substances capable of causing the same symptoms, syndromes and conditions when administered to healthy people.
Typically, classical homeopathic remedies have latin names like nux vomica and combinations are both - latin and normal names like "nerve tonic, teething tablets, oscillococcum"

Typically natural remedies can be divided into the following (hopefully I won't miss one)
*nutritional, herbal, homeopathic, flower remedies, hydrotherapy, aromatherapy, accupuncture, accupressure, and touch therapies there are tons (chiropractic, many types of massage therapy, cranial something or another I can't remember ) *

I am sure I am missing some because there are definitely more groupings than that

We use classical and combination remedies. Have a handful of books we use. . .

BBL -- kiddos need me

Native Remedies uses the term "Combination Therapy" for all their tonics...so I am confused.

I guess you would say I am more into holistic healing then But most of what I do is recommended by my homeopathic Dr...so I guess I am not understanding the difference in using nature to heal vs homeopathic healing. Coulod someone explan better than the link posted???

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)
My Little Loves:לוחם (Warrior 2001) ~ אוֹמֶץ (Heart 2005) ~ אש (Fire 2007)

My Photography Blog:Red Door Photography
My Natural Living Page:Against the Stream
Ima LeShalosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #18
JellyBean
Rose Garden

JellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond repute

Herbal remedies and other "natural" remedies are full potency. Homeopathy works on dilution and the theory that "like cures like" (which some herbal remedies also work off that principle). But the main difference is the potency which really can be a huge difference b/c you can overdose on herbs and some herbs are not safe for children or in pregnancy (and some herbs aren't safe for anyone for that matter...). Homeopathy you can not overdose on and is completely safe for anyone. Take arnica for example. That is used in both herbal and homeopathic forms. As an herb its the actual full strength potency of an herb. As homeopathy if you were using 30c. That means one part arnica was mixed (and succussed) with 99 parts water. That would be 1c. Then one part that is mixed with 99 parts water. That's 2c. This is done 30 x's so all the herb that is actually left is like .000000000000000000000000000000001% or something crazy like that. Its based on the principle of "water memory" and is why a lot of people are skeptical of homeopathy.

Also...all that combination remedies are in homeopathy is more than one remedy at a time. While classical homeopathy believes that there is one remedy used to cure whatever your ailment is and its finding that one correct remedy that matches all your symptoms, modern homeopathy works more on the principle that several remedies will fit your ailment and can be used.

ETA: Also wanted to add you can know if something is herbal or homeopathic by the ingredient measurements. If something is homeopathic it is measured in C's (which is the dilution of 1:100), X's (which dilutions using 1:10 instead), or M's (which uses 1:100 but 1M has been done 1000 x's). Herbs are usually measure in more common terms like mg or grams.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #19
JellyBean
Rose Garden

JellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond repute

Oh...and i was looking at the native remedies website and it looks like they have a mix of herbal and homeopathic remedies. The bright spark is homeopathic but the focus is herbal.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #20
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

Ima LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond repute

ok...I think I am wrapping my mind around this more. I think I have always thought holistic healing and homeopathic healing were one in the same under different terms. Wouldn't thought, the tinctures that I make with herbs and the infused oils be a form of homeopathic healing since the herb is diluted with another agent?

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)

Old 11-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #21
JellyBean
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi*Mum
ok...I think I am wrapping my mind around this more. I think I have always thought holistic healing and homeopathic healing were one in the same under different terms. Wouldn't thought, the tinctures that I make with herbs and the infused oils be a form of homeopathic healing since the herb is diluted with another agent?
No b/c the dilution rate is nowhere near comparable. There is basically no herb left in homeopathy...just the chemical makeup of that herb. And there is also a process called succussion used when diluting which is basically just vigorous shaking b/w each step that is crucial when making a homeopathic remedy. I don't know a whole lot about tinctures though so someone else may be able to say more on that. Seems like some tintures are homeopathic.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #22
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

for taking time to explain in simple terms. So that makes since that my homeopath is anti herb unless I grow it myself. She is also anti-herb for my littles unless it is to treat skin issues. She believes that children should never ingest herbs ever. I never understood why she was anti-herb being a homeopathic Dr...now I understand.

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)

Old 11-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #23
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

that is interesting...michelle

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #24
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

JellyBean gave great info

Here is how I usually describe homeopathy to people -
**Herbal chamomile relaxes your body/mind through tea, infusion or tincture by
**Homeopathic chamomilia (chamomile) enters your body in a miniscule form and your body reacts chemically and relaxes itself.

I love homeopathy because the concept is that your body heals itself rather than relying on something else - even an herb.

An interesting remedy to me has always been coffea cruda (coffee). IT is commonly used for insomnia because the teeny tiny bit of coffee that enters your system is not strong enough to give you a caffeine buzz. The chemical reaction after the coffee -- coming down off caffeine-- is still strong so it relaxes your body enough for sleep.

Homeopathy and aromatherapy should be stored as far away from one another as possible. Coffee (regular coffee) and mint products reduce the efficacy of homeopathy. Some homeopaths actually believe neither should ever be used; however I have also heard just don't consume them w/in 1 hour of taking homeopathy. IT's also best to take 30 minutes after eating/before eating.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 AM   #25
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

The homeopathic remedies that you buy in the store have been "diluted" 3,000 times. They are not comparable to a tincture at all, except that they started out as a tincture. The higher potentcy ones that a homeopath would prescribe have been diluted 20,000 times.

And I still haven't come back to answer the questions for myself! Argh, Simon is awake! bbl.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:49 AM   #26
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessianicMama
I've read books on homeopathy, and I use singe and combination remedies at home. I'm not sure if that's how "classical" is defined, though...

So, I'm not answering the poll until I know what "classical homeopathy" is.
JellyBean gives a great description of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
Also...all that combination remedies are in homeopathy is more than one remedy at a time. While classical homeopathy believes that there is one remedy used to cure whatever your ailment is and its finding that one correct remedy that matches all your symptoms, modern homeopathy works more on the principle that several remedies will fit your ailment and can be used.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #27
JavaMama
Rose Garden

JavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond repute

Homeopathic books I've found helpful: I don't have a favorite nor a great family guide yet, most of mine are homeopathic in regards to the childbearing year since I am planning on the complementary focus of my midwifery practice to be homeopathic.

Combination remedies that have worked in my family:
We LOVE Oscillococcinum and I swear it's saved us from the flu more than once. We used teething tablets a lot while the kids were smaller and teething- I always give a bottle in baby gifts. We have had some success with the Hyland's Poison Ivy combination remedy also. And Hyland's Motion Sickness remedy helped a ton when I was having morning sickness that exacerbated my usually minimal motion sickness.

Conditions/illnesses that have been successfully treated via homeopathy (classical or combination):
Sulfur remedy made my morning sickness with #3 bearable. Pulsatilla fits a lot of the kids' cold symptoms so we've used it many time. Calcium calcarea helped when I was having weird teething like pain (I think it was my wisdom teeth moving around). We have a big remedy kit and almost every single one has been used at least once.

Share your personal experience w/ a classical homeopath:
We don't have any experience with one since they charge about $60/hour and don't take ins. I don't know of any MDs or NDs that practice homeopathy, but I sure would love to find one!!!

How homeopathy has affected your perspective on health & healthcare:
We rarely ever go to the ped anymore and I do a lot of doctoring at home with homeopathics and herbals. We tend to save allopathic medicine for trauma or severe illness. Our last three visits to the ped were all for DS- a spider bite (it was starting to look bulls-eye), a severe allergic reaction to poison ivy (his eyes were nearly swollen shut it was so bad) and stitches in his leg (in that case it bled well so we did not do tetanus vaccination).

If I'm in a hurry or trying to treat my sick self, I will often check the remedy at abchomeopathy.com
Homebirthing mama and midwife

Always remembering my youngest brother JK, forever 14 months old
JavaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #28
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

Hey Beanie girl I have another question.

I have some Chamomilia that my cousin gave me from her Homeopath. She gave it to me for the littles when we were back east. We were all sick and I knew the plane ride back was going to be a nightmare, so she gave me her vial of little pills. I am guessing that they are strictly for littles because it says 12c...so am I correct that these are for littles only because of the "dose"?

Also..I am so use to keeping my herbal remedies in the fridge, so not understanding homeopathy, I put those in the fridge as well...is that a bad thing? Should I take them out or is it fine to leave them in?

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)

Old 11-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #29
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

subbing!
DS1-G(2/4/05) DD1-A(8/5/06)
DD2-J(6/4/08) DS2-T(3/2/11)

I use FB mostly to KIT w/ family, & friends I know IRL, so please don't be offended if I don't accept your request.
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #30
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

General question to all our homeopathic mamas.

DH and I believe we will face the tribulation and that was one reason that I got into herbal medicine and started taking courses in herbal remedies and working towards my Master Herbalist certificate. Well, herbs are GREAT to heal, but let's face it..they do not travel easily and need some extra utensils and compounds to make all the different remedies. When one is on the run, that may not always be available. I would like to learn more about treating our family with homeopathic medicine. The kits I have seen range in price hugely and I feel lost. Can any of you point me to a link that has a good starter kit that would be good for everyday use and also good for bug out type needs?

I remember someone had posted a LONG time ago a kit that was in a blue tray type thing with drawers...but I can't find it. Was this a good item? Is this what I should look for?

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)