Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Dessert *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Fondant Users...I need your HELP

DD's bday party is on Saturday. ***I think**** we're having individual flower cakes that will have a crumb coating of white frosting and then the kids will decorate the cakes with flowers made of fondant. I bought some precolored fondant and some flower and leaf shape cutters. I was planning to cut the leaves and flowers out tomorrow, let them dry, and then let the kids go to town decorating their cakes with the flowers and leaves. I've read the box and have no idea if it's going to work...will we have to stick the fondant flowers to the buttercream with water? Will they just stick to the buttercream? We're talking 2-5 yr olds and yeah parents will be there for assistance but I don't want this to be an awful experience. Did I mention that DD is highly sensitive and I'm 37 weeks pregnant Yeah good combo for winging a bday party! Advice, thoughts, experiences? I could definitely color up a big batch of buttercream and let them go to town with that?
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fondant Users...I need your HELP

I stick fondant decorations on buttercream all the time. It is really easy and you should have no trouble.
My buttercream crusts, but usually, I can just stick the decorations on fine without any help anyway. Occasionally, I will keep some buttercream in a bag with a small round tip and put a dab on the back of the decoration before I stick it on the cake.
I keep a brush and a small dish of water to stick fondant pieces together. For instance, I will make a daisy and then brush the center with water and stick it in the middle of the daisy.

Be aware that prepackaged fondant dries out really fast and tastes really nasty. For 2-5 YO's, Id keep the leaves flat, also, instead of shaping them after they are cut out so they can stick the leaves on flat just next to their flowers.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 02-10-2010 at 07:26 PM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Leen
Deactivated

Leen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond reputeLeen has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, they should stick fine. Maybe make sure the cakes have been sitting out so the frosting is tacky and not too crusted, like if they've been in the fridge.

Looking forward to hearing about it and maybe...seeing pics?
Leen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

with two to 5 year olds, you might want to just make the marshmallow/powdered sugar and crisco fondant and have them play with it like playdough. have rolling pins and tiny cookie cutters for them to decorate their cupcakes with, but honestly, they might get more joy out of using it as candy playdough.
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
CapeTownMommy
Deactivated

CapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond repute

You can also make a liquid icing sugar mixture (just the icing sugar and water, use lots of water) to make a sticky paste to stick everything together.

I your idea though!
CapeTownMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

saying it tasted awful was enough for me to rethink....so I made 200 buttercream drop flowers today with 100 leaves. I'll crumb coat the flower cakes and the kids can stick the flowers and leaves to the cake and then eat the whole thing. I'm sure we'll get lots of pictures. Thanks for all the help guys!!
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote