Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 04-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Natural consequence of teen tantrums

From my own toolbox:
  • look into triggers like food allergies and built up stress like being bullied at school.
  • Have them pay for any damage to property
  • Have them apologize for behavior after they've cooled down
  • Set a good example/understand that if you or your spouse rages then it's unreasonable to expect anything different from a child
  • Remain calm during the tantrum

If it were a younger child I would physically restrain them if they were damaging others, themselves or property.

But what do I do, for example, if they throw a laptop, but get lucky and no damage is done to pay for?

The natural consequence for a person outside the family doing that is that I wouldn't want to be around them anymore and they would lose a friend. But you can't do that with your own child.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Natural consequence of teen tantrums

Not to be too nitpicky, but it sounds like you are looking for logical consequences, not natural consequences. Natural consequences just happen- nothing you can do about that- for example if you wreck your laptop, then it's broken or if you don't wear a coat, then you're cold.

So logical consequences are what you're looking for. A child or teen who mistreats something, whether they get lucky or not, will not be trusted with said item or similar items. So no more using the laptop. Also a person who throws a laptop is obviously not showing great discretion so may lose other privileges where trust is an issue (going to activities without a parent, etc).

I think the biggest thing for a teen is you will treat you as if they are as old as they act. Throw a tantrum like a 2yo and you have the privileges a 2yo has (maybe not exactly but something in that direction- you're not going to be literally wiping their bum again or nursing them). Act responsibly and accept correction and be trusted more with being away from home, using expensive equipment, etc.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Hannah Elise (04-23-2015), Hopetobe (04-18-2015), kiloyd (04-17-2015), Llee (04-17-2015), MercyInDisguise (04-17-2015)
The Following User Says they are praying for Aerynne:
bananacake (04-18-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I'll use a scenario from my own household recently. My teen threw her phone. It didn't break. The case popped off but it didn't break. I retrieved it and calmly informed her that I would hold on to it for the day. Throwing items, especially expensive items is not a proper way to express her frustration.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
bananacake (04-18-2015), chelsea (04-18-2015), Hannah Elise (04-23-2015), Hermana Linda (04-17-2015), Hopetobe (04-18-2015), kiloyd (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper View Post
I'll use a scenario from my own household recently. My teen threw her phone. It didn't break. The case popped off but it didn't break. I retrieved it and calmly informed her that I would hold on to it for the day. Throwing items, especially expensive items is not a proper way to express her frustration.
That is good advice.

You know that this is a public forum, right?

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
WanderingJuniper (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #5
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

I'm okay with the story being in a public forum. I won't share why it was thrown or the rest of the story in a public forum but the fact that it was thrown is okay. Thanks for the reminder.
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

WanderingJuniper's example is excellent.

In the case of a thrown lap top, I'd probably take away computer priveleges (except for schoolwork) for a certain amount of time.

Definitely look into what is causing such anger. Look into getting counseling for the teen.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (04-17-2015), Hopetobe (04-18-2015), L-Boogie (04-17-2015), WanderingJuniper (04-18-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

When a teen is behaving that way there is something going on. I know you've been through a lot. Does he have counseling? Has the doctor checked him to make sure he's progressing well developmentally?
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
bananacake (04-18-2015), Hopetobe (04-18-2015), mom23sons (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #8
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice everyone! I like the explanation that if you act like a two year old I will treat you like one. It would be a good way of explaining whatever action I took next. I think it's important to be able to talk through the consequences instead of seemingly arbitrarily punishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
When a teen is behaving that way there is something going on. I know you've been through a lot. Does he have counseling? Has the doctor checked him to make sure he's progressing well developmentally?
My boyfriend's son did it at his moms house. She "grounded him for a month" and then gave in a few days later. I was trying to think how I would have handled it.

When I get my boys back (nasty custody dispute) I'm anticipating the possibility of this kind of behavior that unfortunately won't be resolved by any sort of consequence, given what they've gone through. It's probably too late for my fifteen year old and maybe my 11 year old. Love is about all I can offer them at this point. I am coming to peace with merely saving my seven and four year old. So at this point it's more hypothetical than anything but I do need the skills so that I can respond properly even if it is, possibly, a lost cause.

The Following 3 Users Say they are praying for deena:
ArmsOfLove (04-18-2015), bananacake (04-18-2015), WanderingJuniper (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
hollybells
Deactivated

hollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena View Post
When I get my boys back (nasty custody dispute) I'm anticipating the possibility of this kind of behavior that unfortunately won't be resolved by any sort of consequence, given what they've gone through. It's probably too late for my fifteen year old and maybe my 11 year old. Love is about all I can offer them at this point. I am coming to peace with merely saving my seven and four year old. So at this point it's more hypothetical than anything but I do need the skills so that I can respond properly even if it is, possibly, a lost cause.
With regard to the bolded parts, as their mum, you don't have that luxury. Giving up on them is not an option and, from their perspective, will just reinforce what they feel has already happened physically (in terms of custody). They'll feel it. They will know. I'm honestly just heart broken reading that.

I know this wasn't necessarily the focus of your thread so feel free to skip, but based on your response above ...
hollybells is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hollybells For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (04-18-2015), Hannah Elise (04-23-2015), kiloyd (04-18-2015), Llee (04-20-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #10
deena
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollybells View Post
Giving up on them is not an option and, from their perspective, will just reinforce what they feel has already happened physically (in terms of custody). They'll feel it. They will know. I'm honestly just heart broken reading that.
Being realistic isn't giving up. Children who grow up with abuse are likely to repeat it. They have grown up with it. They think that when you don't get your way you intimidate the weaker people around you. They've learned to have disdain for women.

Hopefully they will see that "mom decided it wasn't OK so I'm going to decide the same thing." But you can't undo years of living in a really unhealthy dynamic. I will mother them in a positive way despite that. That's not giving up. That's facing the facts.

Honestly I don't know what is in store for me when I get them back. I am trying to prepare myself for all outcomes.

Quote:
Please don't invest more time, energy and mental space into parenting strategies for your boyfriend's children than for YOUR OWN.
I was imagining what I would do if it was my kid. That has nothing to do with his. I'm not invested in them at all and I only see them every other weekend.

Imagining discipline scenario's is about as proactive as I can come up with since I haven't seen my kids in two years. I also am making a notebook full of activity ideas for when I see them. And a chore chart. And painting their rooms. I don't mind this thread taking a turn if anyone has other ideas for how I can prepare for when I have my kids again. (Divorce trial is in July. I finally have a lawyer! )

Quote:
Men will come and go.
He's a kind and gentle man. Nothing like my ex. And we have a baby together. So he's not going anywhere.

I know I'm especially sensitive about the subject of my kids, but nevertheless, I'm offended that you think I've given up on my kids and that you think I'm invested in someone else's kid more than my own.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (04-20-2015), kiloyd (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #11
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

Hurrah for a lawyer! I'll be praying for you when the date comes. It is never too late to effect a positive change but you are right with your older there is a part of them that will have to want the change. You already know this but the road won't be easy.

And yeah, the other reaction to throwing the laptop was not in my opinion the most productive way to handle it but that's one of the challenges.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

I would think that actually saying to your teenager that if he's acting like a 2yo you'll treat him like one would be fighting words that would excalate the moment. And, in fact, he may be acting more like adults he's known. Having the laptop removed from his space for a period of time makes sense.
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mamajane For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (04-18-2015), hollybells (04-24-2015), kiloyd (04-18-2015), Llee (04-20-2015), WanderingJuniper (04-23-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #13
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I finally have a lawyer!

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
deena (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #14
deena
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajane View Post
I would think that actually saying to your teenager that if he's acting like a 2yo you'll treat him like one would be fighting words that would excalate the moment. And, in fact, he may be acting more like adults he's known. Having the laptop removed from his space for a period of time makes sense.
Excellent point.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:38 AM   #15
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
(Divorce trial is in July. I finally have a lawyer! )
this is such good news!!!!

I'll second the idea that telling a teen they're acting like a 2 yr old won't go over well. It would definitely escalate things for my 12 yr olds!

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote