Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #16
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brief freak out moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by arelyn View Post
We do too. We're visiting my sister here and I love the laid back homeschool laws and the less regulated midwifery certification but then there's the poisonous snakes and spiders and the houses that cost triple what a house costs in Western New York.
I've lived in Texas my whole life and I've never seen a poisonous snake or spider. I have seen housing go from cheap to expensive. I can't afford to sell my house right now unless I want to live way out in the country

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #17
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
This made me laugh this morning! Something I desperately needed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Happy to be of service!
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
knitlove (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #18
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
I've lived in Texas my whole life and I've never seen a poisonous snake or spider. I have seen housing go from cheap to expensive. I can't afford to sell my house right now unless I want to live way out in the country

We must just be lucky then. My little niece showed her mommy the pretty spider under her swing (black widow) and BIL showed me a cottonmouth so I'd know what to keep an eye out for all in one week.

Sorry to take this totally off topic. The oldest child in me feels a bit guilty.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-25-2021), Quiteria (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #19
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Where in Texas have you lived that you haven't ever running to anything!?

I grew up with water moccasins in the creek, and copper heads in peopels yards in the coastal area. And in collage in the west we had brown recluse spiders and an occasion scorpion

How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #20
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Texas all my life and only ever seen a poisonous snake once. I've only seen tarantulas in the last few years since we bought our house outside of town. I've never seen any other scary things. Granted we do have spiders but they aren't super scary. I've never seen a black widow or brown recluse or any of those. It may just be that I always lived in town.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:54 PM   #21
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Now I really want to know the areas of texas where you guys haven't running to the list of poisonous things!

Old 03-26-2021, 09:00 AM   #22
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I meant to say I've never seen anything scary IN MY HOUSE. I have seen stuff out in nature.

I only saw a black widow once at the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge.

I know I've seen snakes places but I'm not a great snake identifier. They don't like people so they start away.

I've seen plenty of scorpions while camping. And I *have* seen those in a house before but never mine.

I lived in Corpus Christi from 1978-2008 and near Austin, TX from 2008-present. I live in Houston, TX for minimal amounts of time.

In Corpus, in pier and beam houses, we dealt with roaches and rats. Along the central Texas corridor along I35, to the west you have rocky soil, deer, trees, and more scorpions and to the east you have farmland and scrub/grass but fewer scary critters. Rattlesnakes are supposedly everywhere but I can't recall ever seeing a live one. I probably have but it didn't make an impression. We live very close to I35 near one of the largest bat colonies in the state. It cuts down on mosquitos in my neighborhood. I'm on the farmland side.

Oh I did see a rat snake flee underneath my siding years ago! I forgot about that. I'm happy to have a rat snake nearby eating the rats!

We have ants everywhere. I don't think you can escape them.

knitlove (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #23
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

In my district, public schoolers can count early high school classes that are easily measurable...math, science, foreign language...but can't count something more subjective like English or art. So, most homeschoolers lean toward that...they'll list algebra or biology/chemistry/physics or Spanish I, etc., if the science or language textbook is marketed for high school.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:13 AM   #24
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:

We have ants everywhere. I don't think you can escape them.

No you can't ovoid the ants - on every visit to grand parents the first day is fire ant awareness and identification time.

If we are going to be at houses on the creek I will go over other positions animals with them.

When I was at collage one of the doors has some spider issues, I think it was brown recluse. Some of my friends who rented a house definitely had them. Dh's aunt had a nest in her wall and ended up with several bites that led to a horrable year of being in and out of rehab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
In my district, public schoolers can count early high school classes that are easily measurable...math, science, foreign language...but can't count something more subjective like English or art. So, most homeschoolers lean toward that...they'll list algebra or biology/chemistry/physics or Spanish I, etc., if the science or language textbook is marketed for high school.
That makes sence. This will be though our coop and most of the class will be high schoolers. The teacher will only let you take it early if you have done both years of her younger class.

Early bird is very very much a launuage person and I know she will want to take other launages in highschool ( and if I can make it happen some Spanish at home next year - I have been too overwhelmed to make it happen this far - but she is getting more independent in transions so I have more brain space) so the latin will give her a good base for building other romance launages.

The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 09:19 AM   #25
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
No you can't ovoid the ants - on every visit to grand parents the first day is fire ant awareness and identification time.

If we are going to be at houses on the creek I will go over other positions animals with them.

When I was at collage one of the doors has some spider issues, I think it was brown recluse. Some of my friends who rented a house definitely had them. Dh's aunt had a nest in her wall and ended up with several bites that led to a horrable year of being in and out of rehab.

That makes sence. This will be though our coop and most of the class will be high schoolers. The teacher will only let you take it early if you have done both years of her younger class.

Early bird is very very much a launuage person and I know she will want to take other launages in highschool ( and if I can make it happen some Spanish at home next year - I have been too overwhelmed to make it happen this far - but she is getting more independent in transions so I have more brain space) so the latin will give her a good base for building other romance launages.

Oh yeah, if she's going to do more languages in high school, then it doesn't really even matter of she counts these as high school credit or not. But definitely a good idea to take them and get the foundation! Good for her!