Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute
Default I don't know how to winter. Hold my hand?

. I have never really had winter anywhere I've lived as an adult. Driven to the mountains for snow, sure, but living in it, no.

It's not even particularly nasty winter, stays above zero and no blizzards or anything.

Ice storms and sleet are an issue here, though. I could foresee being home without power for a few days, but not much more.

I've started a list of things to pick up. Rock salt, probably some sand or kitty litter for the vehicles, scrapers and blankets in each car. I'll buy a few big things of water, peanut butter, crackers and soup to heat on the propane stove (outside, I know). What else?
Johns_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't know how to winter. Hold my hand?

Wow,you're ahead of most people where I'm from!(PA)
A shovel,sled,warm layering clothes,good gloves and boots,more non-perishables and a couple packs of water bottles.
It's the being indoors part that is hardest for me. I try to do little projects with the kids,one a week,to break up the monotony.

Do you have a fireplace?
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
bananacake (08-21-2015), esperanza (08-20-2015), Johns_Gal (08-21-2015), kiloyd (08-21-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I hate winter.

And I live in Michigan.

We are expecting another frigid cold winter.

That's all I have to add.

I hate cold.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-21-2015), Llee (08-22-2015), mipennsn (08-21-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh winter. With no below freezing or blizzards you have it made. Cell phone, coat and gloves. We just keep them in the car. The only good thing about winter is that if you have a power outage you can put your food outside. Lol.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
bananacake (08-21-2015), Johns_Gal (08-21-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just hoping Dh will be on days by then.

He works outside, on a flight line. .

We do have a fireplace, but it's gas. I need to get a baby gate/barrier for it.

Coming from No Winter, we have such weird gaps. My toddler apparently owns one pair of sock, the end. I don't have a coat, neither does Dh. Stupid stuff like that we just haven't needed.
Johns_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johns_Gal For This Useful Post:
bananacake (08-21-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

-Shovel for your car and home.
-I like to keep newspapers in the car for getting out of icy spots, it works better than kitty litter in my experience.
-Flashlights for the car and house (I like to keep one in each room.)
-Extra gloves in the car (always always always for everything from getting gas to cold shopping carts to weather while loading groceries.)
-Hand and foot warmers in the glove box.
-Enough food, diapers, etc. to last at least 3+ days, the less prep and cooking the better.
-Outdoor broom. I often sweep light and fluffy snow from the front steps and walkway instead of shoveling it.

Later layer layer. I always wear an undershirt/tank top under my shirts in the winter and rarely go without socks, even at home. Unless it's in Bear Paw/Ugg type boots because the sheepskin inside of those keep your feet warmer without socks.

We like to have lots of outdoor time in the winter. The kids will play outside until their clothes are wet, then they lay them in front of the fire and have a warm drink -- repeat all day long until dark
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoyGal For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-21-2015), OnAMission (08-21-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #7
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Flashlights and/or lanterns. We keep a stash hanging on hooks from the top shelf in the hall closet.

Battery-powered/wind-up radio

non-perishable food - I keep a survival bucket of food in the back of the pantry as well as the usual staples (like cereal and boxed milk). It doesn't hurt to have dried food on hand in the winter - jerky, fruit leather, even some peas and beans.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-21-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

This is our first year not living in an apartment complex that did everything for us So I need to be more prepared this year for sure.
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-21-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #9
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_Gal View Post
. I have never really had winter anywhere I've lived as an adult. Driven to the mountains for snow, sure, but living in it, no.

It's not even particularly nasty winter, stays above zero and no blizzards or anything.

Ice storms and sleet are an issue here, though. I could foresee being home without power for a few days, but not much more.

I've started a list of things to pick up. Rock salt, probably some sand or kitty litter for the vehicles, scrapers and blankets in each car. I'll buy a few big things of water, peanut butter, crackers and soup to heat on the propane stove (outside, I know). What else?
I've lived in the brutal northeast US my whole life & have never bought them but I really think everyone should have those silvery, thermal emergency blankets in their cars in addition to a regular blanket.

Possibly a portable heater if you're comfortable.

We never had one growing up but a small generator just to keep the fridge going. We had one & needed it during Superstorm Sandy & we rarely have power outages here. The key to a genie is to not keep it going 24/7. We kept it on something like 8 on 8 off or maybe it was 12 on 12 off, can't remember.

I just read further & see you have a gas stove. I'd make sure you have an aim & flame or fireplace matches in case the pilot goes out.

When we go camping we take along a cable jumper that we can plug phones & my kindle into. So if we have power outages, we've used that to charge phones first then Kindle/laptop, etc.

Stock up on board games & puzzles. I remember one particularly grueling winter where we spent days just playing cards & putting together puzzles. We did a lot of that anyway but those times are more memorable for me because sometimes they were played by candlelight.

I would also make sure each of you have at least one pair of bedroom slippers. If you don't already have them, those down alternative throw blankets are awesome. Much warmer than an afghan or regular blanket. We fight over my one that has flannel on one side but we've been known to bring them all out just for winter. We've always bought the inexpensive ones (we have 3). They also make a great extra layer for one person - or in the case of littles maybe 2 - for the bed.

I second the wind up/solar radio & would add in a wind up/solar flashlight or two. I bought hubs a windup combo radio & flashlight for Christmas & a solar flashlight both from LL Bean.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 04:59 AM   #10
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
I hate winter.

And I live in Michigan.

I hate cold.

And I get to drive in it. :/ I don't know which is worse construction season or winter.

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

I keep and emergency kit in my car in the winter, with a shovel, blanket, kitty litter. I also drive our van instead of the car on really bad days as it has more traction control than my older car. The emergency kit then gets moved if I'm driving the van or we have to go somewhere as a family.

Driving remember to slow down and give extra space. At least in Michigan, any snow or ice is slippery.

----
My parents have gas fireplaces that they ran during a 2 day power outage a couple years ago in November from a tornado in the area.
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #11
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Learning to drive in winter is key. Do you know all about that? And how to gently turn the car if you start to drift? Do you have ABS brakes? If not do you know how to pump the brakes yourself? And I assume you know to drive much more slowly on snow and ice.

I don't have a lot of the rest of that stuff like a generator, and I should, but our power lines are underground so we almost never have power outages (I know, I know, I should be prepared anyway.

I have a snow shovel but also a hand plow. It's basically a very wide snow shovel- about the width of a sidewalk. It cuts the time it takes to shovel, but it doesn't work in deeper snow so I can't always use it. But since we live on a north-facing corner lot and have lots to shovel, it helps a lot. Lots of people around here have snow blowers, too, so you could look into that if you have a lot to shovel.

De-icer for your car is also good if you park outside. Sometimes the locks can freeze shut. There are some ways to make a DIY de-icer yourself, too. This came up on a quick search: www. wisebread.com/3-cheap-and-easy-formulas-for-homemade-windshield-de-icer-plus-bonus-tips (link broken jic)

There are mittens and then there are mittens. REI has good ones that actually keep you warm.

We all have snow pants in our family, even the adults. So good, especially for sledding or making forts for the kids. There are fun parts of snow, too (though I would rather do without it as well )

Also you should have some long underwear to wear under stuff (especially the pants- we wear coats on our torsos but usually only regular pants on our legs). Warm tights under pants are an option, too, that I have used on my boys as well as my girls.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (08-22-2015), Johns_Gal (08-21-2015), JoyGal (08-21-2015), Virginia (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 06:13 AM   #12
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, learning how to drive in winter is so important.

How do you do that? I will tell you the same way I learned, how I taught my friends, brothers, and dd -- wait until the first icy or snowy time hits, leave the kids home, and head to a big parking lot or open area where there are no people and nothing to crash into, then hit the road. Try to get stuck, then get unstuck, drive and hit the breaks, learn how to feel the car so you can learn to steer out of it, learn what the breaks feel like when you slam on them on ice. Don't put yourself in crazy danger, but give yourself a chance to try a few things out. It may sound juvinile or ignorant, but the best way to learn to drive in harsh weather is to actually learn to do it. It will make you more confident while driving in traffic and with your family in the car. And if you get stuck in the snow or ice sometime, you will have a better idea on how to get yourself out. Even see if there are some YouTube videos to watch and learn from.

Then again, I also recommend AAA
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JoyGal For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (08-21-2015), Johns_Gal (08-21-2015), Llee (08-22-2015), Ms_Dahl (08-22-2015), ShangriLewis (08-21-2015), Soliloquy (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 06:35 AM   #13
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely agree with parking lot training. And if you can find low traffic areas with hilly streets, I think that's important to practice on too.

Land's End On The Counter sale section is my favorite place for buying snow gear for kids, but it's iffy you'll find the sizes you need. If you can though, the prices are fantastic.

SPF when playing in snow is important

Dry skin and hair can be problematic. Seems like each winter I am surprised to find out how much lotion and conditioner I need.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (08-22-2015), Johns_Gal (08-21-2015), JoyGal (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 07:31 AM   #14
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
I hate winter.

And I live in Michigan.

I hate cold.
I hate winter.

And I live in Indiana

I have no idea what kind of winter we are expecting bc I'd rather just not know!

That's all *I* have to add.

Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-21-2015), Johns_Gal (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #15
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice so far.

I absolutely love winter. Get good snow gear and head outside!!! It's glorious!
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote