Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Dessert *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #16
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I make this cake?

Thank you so much ladies!!

How long does the fondant last? I need the cake on the 22'nd so would like to start making everything as early as possible (I'm going to need all the practice I can get!)
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

You can definitely make the fondant ahead of time. A week or so in the fridge is just fine...you will need to make sure to let it warm up to room temp when you actually want to use it. The site I listed has some really good tips on all that. And a fondant covered cake (as long as the icing is stable at room temp) can stay fresh for a day or so ahead of time too, so you don't have to do the actual decorating the day of a big event.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
JellyBean
Rose Garden

JellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond repute

OK...just my opinion but I'm not crazy about this cakes mix of round and square cakes and fondant and buttercream. I do solid buttercream icing with fondant features a lot but I've never seen a cake be solid fondant with buttercream features. If your going to go with solid fondant I'd go with fondant edging too like this cake.

http://www.houseofcakesdubai.com/sto...?productID=288

Its actually really easy if not easier than the shell border because you just roll the fondant into balls and line it around.

Personally though I'd do buttercream b/c it tastes better and just the details in fondant. Fondant also takes lots of practice to get it perfectly smooth on the cake where buttercream is much more forgiving to work with IMO. The circles are easy to do. You could also do a topper more like the one above with the fondant stars on wires instead of the bow because it would be a lot easier. Just make sure you give the fondant several days to dry so it stays standing. For the flowers on the bottom wilton sells books at michaels that give very easy step by step directions on how to make all their flowers. Just practice, practice, practice and you'll get it down! You could always take a wilton class at michaels too so you can get more help with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to JellyBean For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

My Hobby Lobby has Wilton cake classes.

I wanna see pics of what you do!
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maggirayne For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

TrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond repute

Chef Duff's fondant isn't too bad tasting. It was really easy for me to work with, too, as a first-timer.
TrinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrinMama For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #21
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
Just make sure you give the fondant several days to dry so it stays standing.
Thank you! My wedding cake totally melted, probably because of this.

Hmm, maybe I will do a mix of the buttercream with the decorations in fondant. :whew good thing I'm starting on this project early

My Hygge Page
Old 01-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #22
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

subbing b/c I want to see your creation too!

go JoyGal...go!!
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #23
KatieMae

You might also want to grab some dowel rods (narrow cylinders of wood) from Wilton while you're at Michael's or wherever. Put them in the larger, bottom cake in the spot where you're going to put the upper cake, and put the upper cake on its own exact-size cake board. They dowels will support the higher part evenly so you won't have any toppling or sinking issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #24
JoyGal
Rose Garden

Dowels, good idea

We'll see if I can come up with something good! I'll post my creation, whether its great or not

My Hygge Page
Old 01-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #25
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #26
Lily
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Lily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond reputeLily has a reputation beyond repute

What stores do you have in your area? I know even in our small town that our walmart carries just about everything you could need.

I definitely agree with nixing the bow topper - Beth said those take a bit of practice to make them come out perfectly. And she also said buttercream frosting would be easier for a novice to work with.

If I remember correctly, I've seen the fondant circles and flowers at the store (they were in the craft area, not the baking aisle).
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lily For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #27
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Naked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond repute

for your finished cake pics

Married to my best friend of 17 years
Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

Fruit of Labor Placenta Encapsulation
Naked Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Naked Camper For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #28
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMae View Post
You might also want to grab some dowel rods (narrow cylinders of wood) from Wilton while you're at Michael's or wherever. Put them in the larger, bottom cake in the spot where you're going to put the upper cake, and put the upper cake on its own exact-size cake board. They dowels will support the higher part evenly so you won't have any toppling or sinking issues.

Yes, support is a must! Dowels will help keep everything level. If your bottom cake is not totally level, you can cut your dowels all the same height and that will keep it from leaning, also.
For a small cake like this one, you can use straws. I actually prefer to use fat straws to dowels because I find them easier to cut. Plus, you don't smoosh any cake, the cake is inside the straws so I think they actually are just as, if not more, stable. McDonald's straws (fat ones) are good. Straws for milkshakes or Panera Bread straws are especially good. Of Bubble Tea ones if you have them.

I also agree with JB, I prefer the fondant borders with a fondant covered cake. The balls are easy and fun. DD makes them.

I think you should go ahead and try the bow. You can make it way in advance, and do a practice attempt, even. Make a lot of extra loops in varying ways so you can experiment with putting the actual bow together, and in case you lose some. If it does not come out well, you can try something else. Also, bows like that are fantastic because they will cover so much of the top, if things are not exactly smooth and perfect, no one will notice.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #29
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

on the cooking channel...the cake decorating wars...they have also used straws.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (01-08-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #30
JoyGal
Rose Garden

I finished the cake last night! It's different than the original picture and I like it much better. The icing is buttercream (and SOO good!), decorations are Wilton fondant and the inside layers have raspberry preserves between. I didn't have any cookie cutters so the flowers and butterflies I made a paper stencil then traced them all out with a knife. I also didn't have anything to do the piping, so I improvised and made my own tip our of aluminum and bag from a ziplock baggie. The bow took almost 3 hours earlier in the week (it dried perfectly and I'm so glad I found some tutes online) and the decorating took 4.5 hours last night. Add in the cake prep, baking and research time and whew, now I see why cake decorators understandably charge a lot!

(Please note that Dora is MIA but at least Boots wasn't )

Front:

Back:

My Hygge Page
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JoyGal For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (01-23-2011), GentleMomof4 (04-19-2011), Happygrl (01-22-2011), JessicaTX (01-22-2011), rosesnsnails (01-23-2011), Serafine (01-23-2011)