Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 05-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #61
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone want to have our annual sunscreen discussion? LOL

I made my own last year. I'm trying to remember what I put in it- I know it was 50/50 coconut and sesame oil, but beyond that, I can't really remember. Honestly, I don't think we needed it. We didn't burn without it anyway. CLO.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #62
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbwifemama
I made my own last year. I'm trying to remember what I put in it- I know it was 50/50 coconut and sesame oil, but beyond that, I can't really remember. Honestly, I don't think we needed it. We didn't burn without it anyway. CLO.
Will it help you remember if I you? I can burn sitting in the shade in longsleeves. All that lovely German blood. And N doesn't stand a chance; M is a full half Swedish.
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #63
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

Last year I also used St J's oil for a month before sunscreen season, and I think that had a lot to do with it. Was it earlier in this thread I posted all my St J/sunscreen links?

I have no idea what I used. I just remember that I had it. Oh... maybe it WAS the St J's I used? I think my bug repellent was the sesame coconut oil combo, both of those had spfs in them, and then all the EOs were for repelling bugs. I think that's what I did- none of the homemade sunscreen recipes really satisfied me either- I didn't want to risk the PABA.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #64
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Bump

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

This is from the Vitacost page.

Quote:
You’ve been told over and over again that if you’re going to step in the sun, you’d better slather on sunscreen first. But before you do, take a close look at the ingredients of your favorite SPF product. Does it read like a laundry list of unpronounceable chemical compounds? If so, you may be exposing your body (and the environment) to potentially unsafe or toxic compounds that can seep into your skin or wash away into the water supply. Below are five questionable chemicals commonly found in sunscreen:

1. Parabens: It’s difficult, although not impossible, to avoid parabens—they’re found in makeup, moisturizer, shaving cream, sunscreen and so much more. Usually listed as methylparaben, butylparaben or propylparaben, these potentially hazardous compounds can mimic estrogen and act as an endocrine disrupter.
2. Diazalidonyl Urea: This chemical preservative may cause skin irritations in some individuals and may also release formaldehyde.
3. Propylene Glycol: A major component of antifreeze, you’ll also find propylene glycol in many personal care products, from toothpaste to sunscreen. This hazardous substance may be irritating to the skin and can be very harmful when ingested by humans or animals.
4. Octinoxate: This chemical is included in sunscreen formulas due to its ability to absorb UV-B rays and prevent them from penetrating your skin. Unfortunately, octinoxate may be linked to skin irritations, endocrine disruption and poor cellular health.
5. Oxybenzone: The Centers for Disease Control recently reported that 97% of Americans are contaminated with this common sunscreen ingredient, which may be linked to skin irritations, hormone disruption and low birth weight.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cobluegirl For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (05-22-2010), curlymopmom (05-26-2010)
Old 05-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #65
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

The last two years I have used Badger Balm sunscreen. It is thick and leaves a bit of a white sheen, which I know some people don't like...

I think I got the Aubrey kind from vitacost a few weeks ago, and some Jason lotion with spf 15.
Will have to come back and correct it if I'm wrong...tomorrow.

I am from CO and melanoma is the top cancer there due to the awesome sun exposure. Needless to say this blond haired, blue eyed girl has had her share of lobster-red sunburns. I have some moles I have concerns about/am watching...so yes, I do wear sunscreen but not all the time.

Topical coconut oil is supposed to help you not burn...not sure it will work for me but last weekend I put some on before going out to do plants with some church ladies. They noticeably got sun while out there....I did not.

Does fish oil help prevent sunburn, or is it just CLO that does it?
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings

Last edited by Lady TS; 05-18-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #66
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't tried coconut oil yet but I am going to soon.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 05-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #67
kwisie
Rose Garden

kwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond reputekwisie has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was ethylene glycol that is in antifreeze and highly dangerous.

Wielder of the Sparkly Pencil of Sneak-Attack Silliness.
Flowery Sunshine Power Woman
kwisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #68
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

those sound gross too.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #69
CrunchySeaSalt
Rose Trellis

Fighting APD and hoping to win soon!

CrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond reputeCrunchySeaSalt has a reputation beyond repute

OK i know this stuff is like on the big no no list but I rarely use sunscreen unless we are in SC for our week or in the caribbean.

That said Coppertone Baby SPF 70 in the pink bottle is fabulous.

After 10 days my child looks as WHITE as when she came here. AND we were outside in the sun for hours on and off most days.

It's amazing
CrunchySeaSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #70
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

I use a spray stuff sometimes too because the kids hate the cream..I hate using it but when I know we need more.. that is what happens.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 05-19-2010, 05:13 AM   #71
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

I used the spray stuff on the kids during swimming---it rocked!

The kids spend a LOT of time in the water/sun camping with SIL....they have moles developing that I don't know whether it's sun-related or just genetic, but at any rate I think sun protection is important.

I got some BullFrog sunscreen that I had heard good things about, but my MIL says it stings when she puts it on. :/

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #72
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisie View Post
I thought it was ethylene glycol that is in antifreeze and highly dangerous.
It's only highly dangerous if you drink it. Propylene glycol is actually used as an antifreeze now b/c it is so much safer than EG. Anti-freeze is just a word, not a label of something being dangerous. Anything that disrupts the crystalline structure of water and depresses the freezing point is an "anti-freeze." Salt is used to keep ice from forming on roads and sidewalks b/c it disrupts the crystalline structure of water too, but we still eat it. I abhor some of the internet safety sites that use sensational words and take advantage of people's fears and give them inaccurate scientific information - oftentimes in order to sell their own products. bleh.

Anyway, I prefer not to use products that contain parabens or the chemical sunscreens (octyl methoxycinnamate, avobenzone, etc.). We prefer physical blockers made w/ titanium and zinc oxides. However, they cost too much for us to use exclusively, given the amount of time we spend in the sun and water. So, we do use some SPF 50 stuff that contains the UV absorbing chemicals. It's hard to find a totally safe and affordable way to do things when you live in FL and are outside so much.

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Auroras mom For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (05-22-2010), curlymopmom (05-26-2010)
Old 05-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #73
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I cant take the time to read thru all 70+ replies so excuse me if this is a repeat butMexitan and Dr.Mercola have sunscreen formulas that are the Zinc Oxide,Titanium and green tea
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #74
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

We dont use sun screen anymore. But i think ill try the coconut oil while we are at the pool this summer. if i dont tan then ill put it on the kids just to keep their skin from drying. This probably isnt on the good list but if i were to ever buy sunscreen it would be the NoAd kind in a green bottle. I use to be in child care and i have taken hundreds of children to the pool for hours and the best one i have seen is the noad one. I had a very fair skinned little girl who could use the stuff and not even pink in the tiniest. One time i forgot to lift her right shoulder strap completely and she had a tan line within seconds on the one spot. but she had been swimming all summer already, i knew then that was the best sunblock i had ever seen/used.
me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (05-19-2010)
Old 05-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #75
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

I think the deal with the coconut oil is that it allows your skin to tan, but not to *burn*

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity