Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breakfast *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: refrigerator oatmeal

so found a recipe that didn't use yogurt & it's soaking up all the goodness in my refrigerator waiting on morning.

I don't have chia seeds so didn't use them but I think it'll be just fine with out them
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberadaisy View Post
so found a recipe that didn't use yogurt & it's soaking up all the goodness in my refrigerator waiting on morning.

I don't have chia seeds so didn't use them but I think it'll be just fine with out them
what are you using.. The yogurt I think is really more for texture than anything else (and added protein etc)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #18
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds yummy. May need to try this.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #19
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

We have a muesli recipe that I really love (it uses shredded apples and orange juice in it) that sounds really similar. I skip the honey, fwiw.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Muesli-356950

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #20
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
what are you using.. The yogurt I think is really more for texture than anything else (and added protein etc)
rolled oats, blueberries, stevia, banana, & skim milk
The Following User Says Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #21
Keeper-of-Mr.Monks
Rose Bouquet

Keeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to beholdKeeper-of-Mr.Monks is a splendid one to behold

Want to get out of bed now and do this but its 3:31AM! Tomorrow for sure!!!!
Mommy to Price 3/2010 T3
Mommy to Weston 12/12/2012 T1
Also keeper of 2 dogs & 1 cat
Keeper-of-Mr.Monks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #22
Momma2Luke
Rose Bouquet

Momma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of lightMomma2Luke is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

You may have to adjust the amount of milk then? I find that the chia seeds help to thicken things up quite a bit...
Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

Verdicts in.

I'm not overly impressed.

Pros: the banana flavored the milk nicely

Cons: I thought/was hoping, the blueberries would break down a bit & they didn't. It was cold, which was why I was hesitant of trying in the first place but I could remedy this by heating it up a bit or let it set out a bit before eating but that kind of defeats the purpose of a quick breakfast for me. I thought the oats would be a little softer as well & they weren't.

I'll try again with the yogurt & possibly chia seeds to see but I think it's something I probably won't be eating often.

I don't mind that it's not thickened as someone suggested the chia seeds would do so that wasn't a problem for me.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #24
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Verdicts in.

I'm not overly impressed.

Pros: the banana flavored the milk nicely

Cons: I thought/was hoping, the blueberries would break down a bit & they didn't. It was cold, which was why I was hesitant of trying in the first place but I could remedy this by heating it up a bit or let it set out a bit before eating but that kind of defeats the purpose of a quick breakfast for me. I thought the oats would be a little softer as well & they weren't.

I'll try again with the yogurt & possibly chia seeds to see but I think it's something I probably won't be eating often.

Thanks for this update I was wondering what just milk would do it sounds like maybe it alone isn;t enough to properly soak (or assorb??) the grains with the yogurt the oatmeal gets really creamy almost like a pudding.

I don't mind that it's not thickened as someone suggested the chia seeds would do so that wasn't a problem for me.
The texture will be much different with the yogurt added it will come out creamy almost liek a pudding.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #25
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up some sheep milk yoghurt for T and we'll try this in the morning
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #26
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
The texture will be much different with the yogurt added it will come out creamy almost liek a pudding.
Unless the oats soften up with the yogurt, I don't think it'll make a difference for me. I don't mind chewy oats, it's just not what I was expecting.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #27
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Unless the oats soften up with the yogurt, I don't think it'll make a difference for me. I don't mind chewy oats, it's just not what I was expecting.
I think it does but I'm not sure.. Let us know