Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
Michele123
Rose Trellis

Michele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone else follow The Grain Brain diet?

I'm getting sooo bored on this diet. 30 weeks pregnant and all I can think about is McDonalds, Pizzas, and Lasagnas. Oh and lots of Garlic bread. Ug.

DH is not adventurous and hates food substitutes. So rather than having bread made with almond butter or flour, he wants no bread. Same with anything.

At this point our diet consists of eggs, turkey bacon, & cheese for breakfast (maybe a fruit for me, he stays away from fruit for the most part but this is my cheat in this diet). Lunch is usually a salad with taco meat an cheese. Dinner is some sort of meat cooked in coconut oil with spices on it and a side salad.

DH is finally loosing weight and looking good so I don't want to derail him but I can't handle this much longer. It's making me want all. The. Junk.

So any help from others on this diet would be much appreciated. I know this doesn't help, but we have a very fixed budget and limited time for cooking.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ENFJ, please excuse my stream of consciousness posts.

Battled infertility for 3 1/2 years before DD (PCOS)
TTC #2 for 6 months (3 ovulations)

Married to DH since Aug 2004
DD born Feb 2012
DS born May 2014
#3 due Aug 2016
Michele123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else follow The Grain Brain diet?

If you are craving the junk that intensely it means you are missing out on a key nutrient(s) your body needs, so it's pointing you to the quickest source of calories in that area. Are you hungry often throughout the day?

Given what you posted, I'd guess that you need more carbs and more fat. Especially more carbs - you posted a very low carb menu. You need a minimum of 100g-125g/day while pregnant (and nursing). I needed 125-150g/day while pregnant fwiw. Your dietary needs are very different than your dh's. He didn't want sub bread - that's fine! You're craving garlic bread? Make a substitute bread. Listen to your body - don't eat the junk, but figure out what the junk cravings are pointing to that you're missing and eat that!

Grain brain is similar to paleo afaik, and I switched to paleo eating while pregnant with ds2 two years ago. I can give more specific advice in that area if you'd like.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Katigre; 03-25-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (03-25-2014), Michele123 (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
Michele123
Rose Trellis

Michele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes please! I've pretty much given up following the diet so closely and have had sandwiches with/for lunch the couple days...

DD born Feb 2012
DS born May 2014
#3 due Aug 2016
Old 03-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Katigre
Rose Garden

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, first of all how do you feel when you eat no grain vs some grain? How did YOU feel on this diet? What makes one person feel great isn't necessarily 100% translatable to their spouse. But you can tweak it so your dh can eat what makes him feel good and you add in what you need .

The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
Michele123
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
Ok, first of all how do you feel when you eat no grain vs some grain? How did YOU feel on this diet? What makes one person feel great isn't necessarily 100% translatable to their spouse. But you can tweak it so your dh can eat what makes him feel good and you add in what you need .

Um, hungry & bored. LOL. I have not been super good about sticking to it because I just cave to pregnancy cravings...

ETA: It doesn't help that we switched to this mid-pregnancy where my biggest cravings the whole time have been for pizza and lasagna. Something about the tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese and meat combo I think...

DD born Feb 2012
DS born May 2014
#3 due Aug 2016
Old 03-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Katigre
Rose Garden

So you need carbs+fat+protein in about equal portions to feel good. Do you like potatoes? Smoothies?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Michele123
Rose Trellis

Hmm. Well I also have PCOS (non-overweight, non-insulin resistant kind) and am supposedly not supposed to have as many carbs as other stuff...

I love fruit smoothies from restaurants. I've never made my own.

DD born Feb 2012
DS born May 2014
#3 due Aug 2016
Old 03-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
Katigre
Rose Garden

Ok, even being insulin resistant I'd look at doing 75g/carbs/day and do sweet potatoes instead of white.

The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Michele123 (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
rcsmom
Rose Bouquet

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz

rcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele123 View Post
Um, hungry & bored. LOL. I have not been super good about sticking to it because I just cave to pregnancy cravings...

ETA: It doesn't help that we switched to this mid-pregnancy where my biggest cravings the whole time have been for pizza and lasagna. Something about the tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese and meat combo I think...
I am not real sure what is allowed on this diet but lasanga made using sliced zucchini instead of noodles is actually really good and I have seen several recipies for a cauliflower based pizza crust fwiw

Last edited by rcsmom; 03-25-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling
rcsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rcsmom For This Useful Post:
Michele123 (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #10
Michele123
Rose Trellis

Thanks. I tried to do sweet potatoes once and it was a big fail. I'll have to try again. What kind of smoothies where you thinking of?

DD born Feb 2012
DS born May 2014
#3 due Aug 2016