Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 09-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #61
richesabove
Climbing Rose

richesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to all
Default Re: A radical idea - viewing kids as babies till 5

I would give anything if I had seen this idea in writing or heard of this a few years ago. I expected mine to grow up too quick and now that they are 10, 8, 7, and 5 and now a newborn I would give anything if I could go back and let them be little when they were little
richesabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #62
celestial princess
Rose Garden

...sometimes I can't see it for the trees

celestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond repute

I'm reading this just in time - Ds will be 4 in Oct, and I've noticed I'm def. expecting more out of him. Will try harder to remember - also, he's started telling me I can't call him baby anymore!
celestial princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #63
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

The Science of Parenting by Margot Sunderland is what got me started on my journey to GBD. Sunderland is a British therapist, who works with children. Her book, contrary to what the title may lead you to believe is a very easy read. It draws on 20 years of brain research, talking about how a child's brain develops from infancy to adulthood and really ties in the emotional development.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #64
BornFreeBaby
Rose Trellis

BornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the rough

Heather, as always, you rock!

I also heard a veteran homeschooling dad speak recently about having low expectations and high appreciation- for our children and others too. Ofcourse this totally goes against so much of the current mainstream information of having 'high expectaions' so the child will 'live up' to them. But this veteran homeschooler has seen how many Christian parents with 'high expectations' cause so much pain, dissappointment, rifts and disconnected-ness between them and their children, which pushes children away from us and into a subculture that 'accepts them for who they are'. We really do need to lower our expectations for performance based behaviors and increase our love and appreciation of our children as they are, where they are at. So many parents focus on the 'goal' of parenting, of producing an outcome, instead of simply discovering who our children are as individuals with their own God-given gifts and bends.

I have quoted this before, but here is one of my favorite quotes;

Quote:
'People with great passions, people who accomplish great deeds, people who possess strong feelings, people with great minds and a strong personality rarely come out of good little boys and girls.
L.S. Vygotsky
BornFreeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BornFreeBaby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #65
purplerose

I haven;t read all the posts yet, but I was just thinking this the other day!!! I went in to wake up Lindsay for school and was just watching her sleep. She will be 7 soon, but she still looked like such a baby! Even my 3 year old is such a baby still and everyone is on me about getting him to "grow up"!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #66
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We really do need to lower our expectations for performance based behaviors and increase our love and appreciation of our children as they are, where they are at.
I like how you put that

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #67
richesabove
Climbing Rose

richesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to allrichesabove is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose
I haven;t read all the posts yet, but I was just thinking this the other day!!! I went in to wake up Lindsay for school and was just watching her sleep. She will be 7 soon, but she still looked like such a baby! Even my 3 year old is such a baby still and everyone is on me about getting him to "grow up"!!!
you know, one of the reasons I forced mine to grow up so soon is because I listened to society and my mil!! my mil was constantly correcting us when we called our then three year old "baby" ...well, he was a baby until about 5. he was very very needy and clingy and I was CONSTANTLY upset by it because I thought something was wrong. well, at 5.5 year old now he is not the least bit this way. if only I had not been so upset by it and instead enjoyed him.
richesabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #68
Freetobeme24

Quote:
Originally Posted by richesabove
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose
you know, one of the reasons I forced mine to grow up so soon is because I listened to society and my mil!! my mil was constantly correcting us when we called our then three year old "baby" ...well, he was a baby until about 5. he was very very needy and clingy and I was CONSTANTLY upset by it because I thought something was wrong. well, at 5.5 year old now he is not the least bit this way. if only I had not been so upset by it and instead enjoyed him.
Wow, I love this thread. I needed to hear that. My son is 3.5 and I told my grandma that the OT expected my son to dress himself. She said that we needed to stop "mothering" and "fathering' him so much so that he could dress himself. I learned not to tell her anything else related to that! I really needed to read this because I have been expecting way too much from my son lately and in the past. I have wish listed some of the books you have mentioned and I need to get Crystal's second book too!!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #69
azlayla
Rose Blossom

azlayla is on a distinguished road

I completely agree with low expectations and high appreciation!! Way too much is expected of young children these days and it's disturbing and damaging to say the least.

~Layla
Old 01-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #70
HummusDip

I haven't read the replies, but thank you Heather! That was insightful and inspiring.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #71
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

loving my family since 1991

Leslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond repute

My 3 year old likes to be a baby. She will come up to me and ask me to feed her with her sippy cup of milk. She can be extremely clingy except if there are new toys or kids to play with. She still sleeps with me like a baby and I still nurse her to sleep now and then.

Mommy to our valentine sweetheart, Jessica Lynn, and March Jellybean, Kaitlyn Elizabeth. My heart is overflowing with love for my precious girls.

Wife to my best friend

Homeschooling, sometimes co sleeping mommy to a teenager and sweet little one
Leslie_JJKs_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #72
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

(still reading along...)

Just from the first couple posts...I can see this with my oldest...7.5yo having passed 5 but not quite 8...and my 3yo...

This is really helpful.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #73
happyhousewife
Rose Garden

Constantly striving to be a gentle mother.

happyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to all

I wish I had read this when Andrew was younger. <sigh>
Mama to
DS1- 13, DS2- 9, DS3- 6

happyhousewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #74
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

I think another expectation to drop is

*I do not expect them to reliably sleep through the night, or to not need nighttime parenting.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #75
happyhousewife
Rose Garden

Constantly striving to be a gentle mother.

happyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to all

this has helped me so much in the last week
Mama to
DS1- 13, DS2- 9, DS3- 6

happyhousewife is offline   Reply With Quote