Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
SubarbanHippie

Default Negative Perception of People

I will admit that I struggle with this. I have a difficult time separating a person's quality of character from their beliefs on certain topics, and sometimes I wonder if I'm normal or just an overly judgmental shrew.

Case in point - I had been looking over this really awesome, crunchy woman's website. She has some really neat, healthy, and fun recipes on her site for people who have various food sensitivities. One of the tabs on her page was for parenting advice. Thinking to myself, hey,this lady is pretty crunchy. I'll bet she has a totally gentle approach to parenting! Getting all excited, thinking I'd come across another Christian momma gently raising her children, imagine my surprise when her entire parenting section was like a giant advertisement for the Ezzos' parenting books.

She went on and on about how BW saved her life, because she thought motherhood was going to be so great, until she got no sleep during the first week, and how BW solved that problem. Later in her articles she endorses GKGW and encourages people to find a church that teaches the classes. Am I crazy in assuming that if someone is crunchy enough to eat kale chips and vegan ice cream that it wouldn't make sense they endorse the Ezzos? Oh Lord! What if I'm a bigger hippie than the rest of the hippies?!

I just wonder if this is a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. It's like my perception of this lady is tainted now and I cannot bring myself to enjoy reading the other really good information on her website. Does that sound strange?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Elyse221
Rose Bush

Elyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Negative Perception of People

I struggle with this with people I know in real life, relatives and such. Parenting can be so polarizing. Even if in my head I can say, 'Yeah, it's their kid, they can parent how they choose,' I can't make myself not care.

Wife to my highschool sweetheart

Mommy to:
V-age 6
M -age 3.5
Elyse221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elyse221 For This Useful Post:
homesteadmama (05-19-2012), SalH (05-16-2012), StoryOfGrace (05-17-2012), swimming with sharks (05-18-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
racheepoo
Deactivated

Don't confuse what is with what is possible.

racheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's really easy to get caught up in the 'checklist issues' and forget that there are people behind them, who ostensibly are making the best choices for their families with what they know to be true. It doesn't mean I can't be disappointed or that I have to be bff's with people who parent much differently...but it's simplistic to think that one part of a person is the sum of that person. We're all flawed and nuanced and when people share some of our philosophies, it doesn't mean that they are just like us. The people I've disagreed with most have made me think the most and hone my own philosophies and beliefs. The world would be a terrible and boring place if everyone was just like us.
racheepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to racheepoo For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (05-16-2012), Elyse221 (05-16-2012), Macky (05-16-2012), rjy9343 (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Elyse221
Rose Bush

Elyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by racheepoo View Post
I think it's really easy to get caught up in the 'checklist issues' and forget that there are people behind them, who ostensibly are making the best choices for their families with what they know to be true. It doesn't mean I can't be disappointed or that I have to be bff's with people who parent much differently...but it's simplistic to think that one part of a person is the sum of that person. We're all flawed and nuanced and when people share some of our philosophies, it doesn't mean that they are just like us. The people I've disagreed with most have made me think the most and hone my own philosophies and beliefs. The world would be a terrible and boring place if everyone was just like us.
Very true. But when it comes to Ezzo, I've seen people who use it "sensibly" (if you can call it that) and I've seen people not feed a hungry newborn because it wasn't 2.5 hours and the same baby end up in the hospital for testing because of lack of weight gain, quite probably FTT. I don't want them to be just like me...I just want them to feed their poor baby.

ETA: Maybe I'm a little raw regarding Ezzo right now...

Wife to my highschool sweetheart

Mommy to:
V-age 6
M -age 3.5

Last edited by Elyse221; 05-16-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Elyse221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elyse221 For This Useful Post:
Snugglebugmom (05-18-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
racheepoo
Deactivated

Don't confuse what is with what is possible.

racheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying you have to agree or like it just that it isn't healthy to view a person as bad or unworthy because of their choices.
racheepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to racheepoo For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (05-16-2012), Tengokujin (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is that AP is really not related to parenting choices. The Pearls recommend EC and natural living. They even sell herbs. Their followers tend to breastfeed and look very crunchy. In fact, if you see a crunchy family and the mom seems impossibly gentle and her children obey her softly spoken commands immediately and sweetly, you are almost certainly seeing Pearl followers.

I have not known Ezzo followers to be so crunchy, but it certainly is not unheard of.

I can totally understand why that knowledge would leave a bad taste in your mouth and cause you to be suspect of everything else she says. I tend to feel the same way. If she believes that, what else might she believe? I would think it safe to take cooking advice from her. But I understand why you might want to just delete her bookmark instead.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

I just remembered that once I joined an AP Christian group and was informed it was against the groups SOB to argue against spanking. I asked how they could reconcile AP with spanking and was edited and chided. Not the place for me.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (05-16-2012), rjy9343 (05-16-2012), StoryOfGrace (05-17-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

This is something I struggle with too.

Like, if a theologian is totally off the rails in one aspect, why would I read her (or his) other books? And yet, there are some theologians that are *fabulous* in one (or more) areas, despite their complete lunacy on some tangent.

My pastor is really challenging me to move beyond the "why bother" mindset because it really does cut me off from some amazing books. It's just a question of having a well-calibrated hooey-meter that can flag the scary stuff. And that takes practice too, especially in a new field.

Hence why we're meant to live/learn/work mostly in community, probably, so that I can say, "Hey, what do you think about this?" and get feedback from others.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (05-16-2012), rjy9343 (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
It's just a question of having a well-calibrated hooey-meter that can flag the scary stuff. And that takes practice too, especially in a new field.
An important point.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

counterfit crunchies really burn me up

like the Pearls. dont try to look all AP and be spanking your baby

i dont feel its necessary to force myself to deal with any unpleasentness *that i dont absolutely have to ..

so i dont even stick around long enough to flesh out any negative perceptions move on and find people who build you up

ETA: i think im where you're at, but at this point in at time im ok with it
ISFP

Last edited by SweetCaroline; 05-16-2012 at 03:23 PM.
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SweetCaroline For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
SubarbanHippie

I'm glad I'm not crazy then. I do pray that I won't be judgmental. I know that there are many people out there who do BW thinking it's actually good for their baby (the whole belief that rigid structure makes babies feel secure) without being as extreme as the Pearls in other areas of their parenting. I think it's just that I'm so used to seeing patterns in life that, usually, if a parent is very rigid about parenting they're likely to be a little less crunchy on issues like diet, vaccinations, toys, education, etc., although I know a great many punitive parents who are big on holistic healing and are anti-vax

I struggle with processing the separation, as I tend to be rather hippie about most things, across the board (although I do tend to be a little more conservative in my political views).
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

i have a fb friend who identified herself jokingly as 'crunchy con' ( as in conservative)
because she baby wears, breastfeeds, eats organic produce ,and votes Republican i guess

but she was posting one morning about having handed out 12 spankings before breakfast
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
Elibellamiah
Rose Trellis

Elibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read other posts, but a lot of people in my church are VERY "crunchy" when it comes to their diets, household cleaners, cloth diapering etc. and some are AP when it comes to nursing into toddlerhood and cosleeping (some others are Babywise followers) however my entire church as far as I know is very VERY VERY pro spanking and pro Pearls, not gentle at all, ever, past early infancy.

Last edited by Elibellamiah; 05-16-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Elibellamiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

currently struggling to break through in this area actually in our home group. I also find actually that the reverse is true- it is hard to get past these issues which are the be all and end all to the people we are in home group at church with. They are judging us wrongly because they have read and believe the Ezzo definition of Attachment Parenting (I read it in the GKGW books a friend lent me). Got to try to get past the totally wrong definition, show we have boundaries and different ways of placing them (in different places!) as well as get past our perception of them. Have thought about leaving the group because breaking into real fellowship is so slow... but if we do that, who is getting alongside them????? I do have a hard time remembering they love their children as much as we do and that they are doing what they think is best. Partly that is because they spend so much time boasting about their Ezzo methods (without naming Ezzo but it's as clear as day) and what they are doing with their children.
The Following User Says Thank You to SalH For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
The thing is that AP is really not related to parenting choices. The Pearls recommend EC and natural living. They even sell herbs. Their followers tend to breastfeed and look very crunchy. In fact, if you see a crunchy family and the mom seems impossibly gentle and her children obey her softly spoken commands immediately and sweetly, you are almost certainly seeing Pearl followers.
This EXACTLY describes a family in our neighborhood. It was really tough when I found out they were Pearl followers (during a conversation about how awesome having your own grain mill is). And I'm also dealing with 'throwing the baby out the with bathwater' thing while church-hunting. We were visiting a church for a while, heard great stuff for 5 months, and then BAM, something about God's punishing us is supposed to hurt and everything is tainted. When it comes to parenting, I really try hard not to judge any parent who is trying to do the best they can for their children, even if they picked the wrong best advice to follow . If they aren't pushing their philosophy on me or others we can probably get along in other areas.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (05-16-2012), rjy9343 (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps, the punitive crunchies feel as disappointed when they realize that we are GD/GBD as we feel when we realize that they are punitive.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (05-17-2012), Hermana Linda (05-17-2012), purple_kangaroo (05-17-2012), Reva (05-20-2012), SweetCaroline (05-17-2012)