Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Organic raised beds....

I need to start an organic garden next year for my son's health. I need to do raised beds because of a nasty root vine that we can't seem to dig out.

I am considering concrete blocks, lining the area with black plastic, then enough stones for drainage, then organic soil mixed with my neighbor's chicken maneurer (you know, I'm ok with not knowing the exact spelling of that word).

I concerned the concrete blocks might have toxins that would leach out. Anyone know? Other suggestions?

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:41 AM   #2
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Organic raised beds....

I wanted raised beds but we opted this year for pots. I have seen really awesome beds in the concrete blocks but I don't know about the leeching Hope someone has answers!
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Concrete blocks seem fine. The main issue with raised beds is pressure-treated wood which contains (and leeches) arsenic.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (11-23-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

I have concrete block raised beds

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (12-02-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Ok.....so I'm forming a plan....tell me if this will work...

I plan to get blocks soon (I keep asking for them for Christmas ). I think I go ahead and get them in place, put down cardboard for weed control (I read that somewhere, stop me now if it's wrong) and then use the lawn mower to mulch the leaves and put them in the bottom to form a base. This way when spring comes I will have some of the work done and half the depth filled so that I don't have to fill the entire thing with expensive organic soil.

Yes, no, way off base?

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
Old 12-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

I think that sounds ok. Do you compost? You could put your compost there on top of the cardboard and mulch and then cover it over when you add the dirt.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
CelticJourney
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
I think that sounds ok. Do you compost? You could put your compost there on top of the cardboard and mulch and then cover it over when you add the dirt.
We do - we have a separate compost bin. I wasn't sure if it needed to decompose for a year or so or if it was ok to add stuff in now.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
lenswyf
Rose Garden

lenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you try a straw bale garden? Super easy, and you can put it on any surface. (I read about one guy who set up his garden in his pick-up truck because his home had no sunlight. The garden got sun while he was at work!)
CelticJourney (12-20-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
lisa
Rosebud

lisa will become famous soon enough

Hello there,
Last summer, I created strawbale raised beds and greatly enjoyed the process, the low-cost and the fruits of my labors. I chose raised beds due to the gopher problems in my town and did not wish to build wooden or other material beds. You want to get the straw, not hay, to insure limited wheat/grass growth in your raised garden beds.

The bales had three cords on them to keep them together. I cut the middle of the three and left the other two on to keep the bales in-tact.

The strawbales take some prep before you can put the soil and compost directly on top of the bales although after the few weeks of prep, they were ready for planting. I grew pumpkins, kale, lettuce, eggplant, arugula, and spinach with good success.

Here are a couple of links that talk more about it:
http://www.growandmake.com/straw_bale_garden
http://modernfarmer.com/2013/07/straw-bale-gardening/

Best wishes with your garden!
~Lisa
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lisa For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

I have a keyhole garden that sounds similar to what you are doing. It has a compost heap in the center of it. I set the blocks in a circle with a pie piece cut out. lined it with cardboard and then did layers of mulch, dirt, and compost. It's worked quite well for me!
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
CelticJourney
Administrator

I keep thinking about the straw, but I think if bugs etc start moving around in there, the dogs would tear it apart.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #12
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

I will see if I can get onto the other computer today where all the photos are and see if I can upload photos of our raised beds. They are untreated wood we made about 5 years ago and they are great

me if I forget okay
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #13
CelticJourney
Administrator

OK. Thanks! I am concerned about wood because we have fire ants in this areas that seem to like the untreated wood...and everything else...darn ants.