Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:03 AM   #1
busymomma

Default Removing ear wax in toddlers?

Any suggestions on removing ear wax in toddlers? I havn't used ear candles before, could they be used on toddlers? My DD has wax in her ear, I use to get wax build up easily too. I havn't taken her to the pediatrican for over a year, no real need to. I don't want to pay $125 just to get her ears cleaned out!!

Thanks!!
Old 10-24-2006, 05:07 AM   #2
DogwoodMama
Deactivated

DogwoodMama is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Removing ear wax in toddlers?

My toddler just loses gobs occassionally... how can you tell if it's too much?
DogwoodMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
mama2three

On Oprah the Dr was mentioning NOT to use Qtips, but if it looks like there is a lot of wax put in a drop of mineral oil and that will melt the wax and it will drain out. Not sure if this is kosher for children?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

When my dd was little, I could make a rice sock and put it inside her pillow case,and the heat would melt out the wax in the night...it was ookie because she needed a major hairwash and a new pillow case the next morning, but it worked really well. Dh has very dry excess earwax and the doctor said to use liquid Colace each night to make it soft so it would work itself out.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
DogwoodMama
Deactivated

DogwoodMama is on a distinguished road

But how do you know you need to get it out for them? If it's not coming out on its own?
DogwoodMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute

DS's works its way out to the outer ear and I just use my finger to remove it.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

hydrogen peroxide is what we have used. They make something called Debrox that is really gooey that you can use..but I didn't like it. I think that warm olive oil would probably work. I like the peroxide because it doesn't really make a mess..wipes right up with a wash cloth.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:20 AM   #8
snlmama
Deactivated

snlmama is on a distinguished road

We use warm olive oil. I've tried the debrox, but the olive oil seems to work faster (the debrox can take a couple of days) and bother the kids less. I've used peroxide in my own ears b/c they get itchy, but I've never noticed wax buildup. Yeah, the olive oil is messy.

Everyone has wax in their ears - it's not a problem unless it's bothering them. We figured out my ds had too much b/c we thought he had an ear infection - he was crying and pulling his ears, etc. The dr. said no, but lots of wax. Since then I do the olive oil anytime he starts rubbing or scratching them a lot or if he complains about them bothering him.
snlmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:43 AM   #9
Calliope
Rose Garden

Calliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond repute

I was an incredible ear wax producing kid. It never bothered me, but a couple times in my childhood my doctor would take hearing test and discover that ear wax was blocking my ears so much that I couldn't hear very well. Then they would scrape out this enormous pile of ear wax (it hurt a lot) and laugh because it was such an unbelievable amount. On the plus side, I had only had two ear infection my entire childhood. I pretty sure I can thank my excessive ear wax for that.

Anyway, I agree with the above poster, only do something if it's bothering him. I've used the peroxide trick before but can't really tell if it does anything but bubble in my ear.
and BabyG homebirth'd homeboy - 3
Awaiting reunion with Ruby Elizabeth born 17w 6d - 1/28/10

Agent Romance
Saving the world, one bedroom at a time!!

Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #10
busymomma

I use to have tons of wax as a child. I have used the peroxide on myself but didn't know what about the kids.

Thanks!!
Old 10-25-2006, 05:57 PM   #11
BeckaBlue
Rose Garden

AKA mama2madj

BeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond repute

abbey gets buildup BAD one time se was at the er for a 104+ fever and they wanted to see her ears (which were ALWAYS infected) but they couldnt so the cleaned them out using a medicine dropper w/ a peroxide/warm water combo and one of those puke buckets under her ear to catch it. a lot of the wax was black and it smelled rotten getting near her ear! it wasn't bothering her though, but her ear was infected anyways
we use a q-tip but only on the outer edges of her ear
nik and kenzie's work out appropriately
mine is so dry it doesn't come out. i use olive oil daily, just dip a qtip in it and let some drip in my ear. it's helping
K, 14 ENP
A, 11 INJ
N, 10 EFJ
J, 5.5 ETJ
El 10/11
D 1/13

"Against the grain should be a way of life. What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" - Nickelback
BeckaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:09 PM   #12
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I went deaf as a toddler, from excess ear wax. My mother thought I was just a brat, ignoring her. Doctor had to remove it. I don't remember anything but the horror of my own screaming, and how jittery it made my father. I had ear infections off and on for years afterwards.

-Natalie
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #13
herbalwriter

Natalie, that is a painful memory.

I use this in ds's ears...he has had only 2 ear infections in his little life, and the first one was cured entirely with this oil. The other needed a-biotics, but he has had no other infections since then; any sign of discomfort, and I whip out this oil and use it warm:

5 cloves garlic
½ cup olive oil
20 drops eucalyptus essential oil
15 drops grapefruit seed extract

Peel garlic and chop fine. Place in a baking dish with olive oil and put in oven, set to the lowest setting, and leave overnight.

Strain oil through a cloth (I think I used a coffee filter set into a mesh strainer) and press well.

Add essential oils and mix well. Pour into amber bottle with a dropper for storage.