Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
ServantofGod

Default Bras and Breast Cancer

Has anyone heard this before? I've been doing a little research on breast cancer (my SIL was just diagnosed ). Apparently, there was a study done by someone named Singer making a connection between the constricting properties of bras and breast cancer. FTR, the American Cancer Society does not support this study, saying it was not epidemiologically (sp?) structured and so the results do not conform to scientific method. Still, why isn't anyone *doing* the epidemiological study?!

This theory makes a lot of sense to me. The breasts as lymphatic organs requiring movement and not constriction makes sense. In the study, the correlation between hours spent in a bra and incidence of breast cancer was startling. It's enough to compell me to at least spend the least amount of time necessary in a structured bra.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bras and Breast Cancer

there is a lot more to breast cancer than the clothing you wear. Women have been binding their breasts in all manner of ways since the dawn of clothing, and pre-menopausal breast cancer only began to boom when women stopped breastfeeding. I'd be much more concerned about any of it, if the studies took that into account as well.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation

I've heard about it, and honestly didn't give it much credence...until I paid attention to the incidence of clogged ducts and mastitis in prone individuals wearing underwires. The connection with the lymph system may well be significant. I just don't know.

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
SansSouci
Rose Garden

SansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond repute

Though I haven't heard of it, I do find that interesting.

Breast cancer runs in my family, and I'm doing my best to prevent it myself by living a healthy lifestyle.
DS 12 y/o GF/CF/etc. & Recovering from Autism

I Juice Plus+ and sharing it with others. Fruits & veggies in a capsule or soft-chew!
SansSouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

This is why I don't wear a bra. I've never had really bad breast issues, but I would get swollen lymph nodes under my arms around my period time- it stopped when I stopped wearing a bra. I definitely think bras can cause lymph constriction which can cause all sorts of problems- cancer? Possibly- there are lots of reasons one can get cancer though- aluminum in deodorants, poor dietary habits, poor lifestyle habits- wearing a bra is just one more thing I can do to eliminate my risk- though I am inclined to think that breastfeeding does a lot more to eliminate my risk.

A couple of links:
http://www.all-natural.com/fibrocys.html (This is about fibrocystic breasts, which I think not wearing bras actually has a lot more effect on)

http://www. susunweed.com/An_Article_Bra-disease.htm

edited by LisaM per posting rule #18
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
allisonintx
Rose Garden

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

Do not trust anything that you read from Susun Weed. I've written diatribe after diatribe about her shoddy, contradictory, ill supported work, her satanic views, and her campaign for lesbianism as the only natural course of action for women over 40. I wish she had never been published. I've spent so much time un-doing the learning women get from her stuff, because it's just wrong...sigh...

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

Old 11-14-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I know very little of Susan Weed; BUT I am concerned about her information as I am aware of her ideas about Magic, Satanism and the like

That said, I have heard UNDERWIRES specifically constrict the lymph system. Because of the placement of the end of the wire toward your arm pit. As in, the end actually presses into your lymph node there I have heard it doesn't give your breast lymphatic system the ability to drain properly and can cause lymph back up.

However, I actually realized typing this that my information is based solely on the oncologist that performed my g-ma's mastectomy (spelling). He gave her a small list of things to avoid - under wire bras, antiperspirants and aluminum in underarm deodorant. And I think something else I can't remember I think at that point, almost all the women in my family went to deodorant that doesn't contain aluminum.

I have also heard that any constriction your clothing/bra does that isn't healthy can be "undone" by rebounding braless I was doing that for awhile But as I have replaced my bras, I have just started buying ones that have no underwire I figure it doesn't hurt to use a different bra although it's a bit more work to find

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #8
scottishthistle
Climbing Rose

scottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond repute

I've read antiperspirants (sp?) play a big role too
scottishthistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison In TX
Do not trust anything that you read from Susun Weed. I've written diatribe after diatribe about her shoddy, contradictory, ill supported work, her satanic views, and her campaign for lesbianism as the only natural course of action for women over 40. I wish she had never been published. I've spent so much time un-doing the learning women get from her stuff, because it's just wrong...sigh...
I've read your stuff about SW before, and I agree with your views on her religious beliefs, but I find her herbal stuff unoffensive.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
scottishthistle
Climbing Rose

scottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond reputescottishthistle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessianicMama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison In TX
I've read your stuff about SW before, and I agree with your views on her religious beliefs, but I find her herbal stuff unoffensive.
I agree
scottishthistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
allisonintx
Rose Garden

her herbal stuff may seem unoffensive, but it is often contradictory, and is ill still ill supported. You'd do better with the books from Prescription for Nutritional Healing, and Prescription for Herbal Healing. It has good information that is well supported by both tradition and studies.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen

. . . . . . .

Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

We used those books when I worked at GNC for reference. You're right, they're great books.

I think that when you're working with herbs, it's important to read from as many different herbalists as possible. Each one has different experiences. I've read Jeannine Parvati Baker's Hygeia, and frankly, that book scares me. Too many dangerous herbs, note enough information. I've read all of Susun Weed's books, and they make sense to me. I've read most of Shonda Parker's books, and the same. It's important to try out the suggestions with caution when you're dealing with herbs, because herbs react slightly differently in each person's body- and some people who write herb books don't put warnings about certain herbs, so it's especially important to corroborate suggestions when you try them for the first time. I think this is one area where we'll have to agree to disgaree.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #13
hopeforchange
Deactivated

hopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond repute

i used to go bra free for this reason. but i'm a 34G and while BF dd, i leaked until she was prolly 18 months, so i had to wear a bra and nursing pads. also, i started wearing underwires b/c they were the only bras i could find in my size without ordering online. after ordering several bras online that didn't fit i finally gave up and just got what i could find. plus, at my size, i look a little funny without a bra

i would love to at least get back into a bra without underwires.
hopeforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
ServantofGod

Quote:
i used to go bra free for this reason. but i'm a 34G and while BF dd, i leaked until she was prolly 18 months, so i had to wear a bra and nursing pads. also, i started wearing underwires b/c they were the only bras i could find in my size without ordering online. after ordering several bras online that didn't fit i finally gave up and just got what i could find. plus, at my size, i look a little funny without a bra
Yes, I can imagine that large breasts would make non-bra wearing fairly unfeasible. It might be the first time I've ever been at an advantage with my breasts-the-size-of-the-average-12-year-old.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #15
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

No, it doesn't. I have 36 DD+ (I don't know my actual size, because my largest bra doesn't fit ) breasts and I look fine. I look like a woman with large breasts, but I have several friends who have large breasts and go braless, and I've never thought they looked odd, and I"m sure they aren't in pain, otherwise I imagine they'd stop. I'm not in pain either.