Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Poor DD's hands- Help?

My DD has had dry skin just on the very back of her hands for a couple months now. I have been trying coconut oil, my tummy butter, various lotions, hand salves, etc, all petroleum free, to try to help her out, and she takes her CLO every day. They have only gotten worse.
Her skin is rough and scaly almost, not scaly like skin is coming off, but very wrinkly and tough. It has started cracking. Today I noticed that she has scabs on her knuckles.
Her fingers are fine, so it is not like when my skin gets dry. I think there is some other problem. It is only from her knuckles to her wrists. She says they are not itchy. I don't think it is an allergy because it is not spotty and is not anywhere else.
DH wants me to take her to the dermatologist, but I am afraid it will be forever until I can get her in.
Any suggestions of why this could be happening and what to have her put on it?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Poor DD's hands- Help?

since the other things you have tried haven't worked I would try vaseline.. yes I know it is petrolium..but it does seem to work for some people. at least might provide some relief while you continue to search.

I wouldn't rule out allergy either...

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

Living and Loving..Against the Stream

Ima LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond repute

couple questions....

Does she have or have a history of eczema?
Does she play in the water (sink play) on a daily basis?

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)
My Little Loves:לוחם (Warrior 2001) ~ אוֹמֶץ (Heart 2005) ~ אש (Fire 2007)

My Photography Blog:Red Door Photography
My Natural Living Page:Against the Stream
Ima LeShalosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking eczema too...

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

No eczema history.
She is almost 8 and does not play in the water.

If it is eczema, what could she put on it?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

Ima LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond repute

can you post a picture of her hands?

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)

Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi*Mum
can you post a picture of her hands?
She is asleep, but I will try tomorrow.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 02-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

oh also...when you touch her hands...is there any "heat" to the touch?

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)

Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

sorry..a million things keep running through my mind..lol

How is her water intake (not counting juices nor milks..just straight water)?

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)

Old 02-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
SansSouci
Rose Garden

SansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond repute

My knuckles are the first things that crack when my hands get dry. I've been using a combo of things from Daybreak Lavender Farm (recommended to me by some gals here!), and it's been very successful in fighting that dryness that always attacks me in the winter.

Frequent handwashing really makes my hands get dry/cracked. Is she washing her hands a lot? I know you said she's not playing in the water, but how about daily showers/baths? Maybe they could be drying her out?

Has she tried sleeping in gloves with vasoline (or something else very hydrating) on her hands?

DS 12 y/o GF/CF/etc. & Recovering from Autism

I Juice Plus+ and sharing it with others. Fruits & veggies in a capsule or soft-chew!
SansSouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like my left hand all winter. The best thing I have found so far (and I have tried a lot) is to minimize hand washing with soap & lubriderm lotion.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Is it seasonal? This happens to my hands in winter and it goes away in summer. When we were in FL for a week in December it went away completely. For me, it is a vit. D deficiency. I need to either use a sunlamp or take a lot (about 3 Tbsp.) of CLO for it to go away.

What brand of CLO is she taking and how much? Also, CLO is more effective when there is plenty of natural saturated fat in the diet--grass-fed meats, organic butter, coconut oil, etc.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

happens to mine in the winter...didn't know about vit. D deficiency always assumed it was the lack of humidity...it's worse in a school setting with their soap and paper towels so maybe a soap allergy, too?

Mine will not heal for weeks when using the wrong lotion...am allergic to fragrances (even lavendar EO), and most of the common white lotions--lubridern, eucerin, st. ives....I can do "daily moisturizing"Aveeno (NOT anti-itch formula), and plain petroleum jelly under white cotton gloves at night. Cocnut and oilve don't seem to do enough. Might be that she reacted to some of the kinds you tried, and they are so irritated that it's taking a long time to see results. Oh...also, if cuts are particularly red, I have heard about using neosporin BUT found out that was giving me an allergic reaction, too...so, I use bacitracin ointment if I feel that it's become infected enough to warrent an abx ointment.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

My DD has been getting a rash kind of like that, I dont' think as bad though. We have been using a product called Cetaphil, they have lotions and soaps, it is meant for eczema and other skin irritations. I've been getting it at Target, it's about $10 for the lotion and $10 for the soap.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

We have been doing the neosporin at night and it does seem to be helping a bit.
THe board is about to close, so I can't address everything, but thanks for the replies and I will post more Sunday night.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13