Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Talk to me about reacurring sinus infections...

As well as the HIB vaccine.

Judah's big sepsis scare turned out to be a serious sinus infection. Here are my questions.
  • The Dr. said that a sinus infection, left untreated, can turn into menangitis (sp?) in as little as 2-3 days. Is this accurate?
  • What about the HiB vaccine? The Dr. said that since he has had one now, it will be a reacurring problem for him in the future... And that this vaccine gaurds against some of the bacteria that commonly causes sinus infections. Any thoughts? Any cautions that are specific to this shot? Reactions? Ingredients?
  • Is it true that if you get a serious sinus infection, it will or has the good possibility of being reaccurring?
  • What are some practical things that you can do to prevent this coming back?
  • How would you administer a probiotic with the antibiotic? I am using acidophilous (sp?) Would you pump and bottle feed? (ds is 7 mo, and still mostly nursing) They are giving him Zithromyacin (sp?) and Cephzil (sp?) (they are doing two, because they are not sure exactly what bactiria we are dealing with)
  • Any other tips from anyone who has been here?
I am very hesitant about giving a vaccine, unless that would really be beneficial, but I want to be completly informed before I make a choice one way or another.

Thank you for the help! We are going home today! Also, thank you for the prayers that you have prayed for us.. We really appreciate it.

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talk to me about reacurring sinus infections...

my ds gets sinus infections from consuming milk. A reoccurrant(sp) infection makes me think allergy.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cobluegirl For This Useful Post:
TenderLovingWillow (01-18-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Mama Rophe
Rose Garden

Mama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking the same thing. There is an underlying cause as to why he is getting these sinus infections. Finding that root cause will help you find the right "cure". I'd start with dairy since that seems to be the biggest allergy causing one and go from there.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
NCmom

I agree with milk, and also I would think wheat. I had chronic infections for quite a few years.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

yup wheat is next and then corn.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
The Following User Says Thank You to cobluegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with eliminating dairy as well. Keep giving him the acidophillous, just find a dairy free one.

You might try some of the upright breastfeeding positions and avoid laying down to nurse if he is congested. Or maybe get one of those wedge thingies to prop him up while he's sleeping.

A friend of mine said that her doctor told her that babies with chubby cheeks get ear infections more often because the weight of those lovely cheeks compresses the tubes that drain fluid from the ears. Maybe that's true for sinus infections, too? A little face massage now and then couldn't hurt.

You could also try tea tree oil or thieves essential oil in a diffuser in the bedroom.

I don't see any reason at all to stop nursing and pump instead.

So sorry your little guy is sick!
mountainash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mountainash For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

Judah never got congested or stuffy..

How do you give aphidophilus? The stuff I bought is a powder, so I was mixing it with a bottle.

Since he is not eating much table food, should I take the milk out of my own diet?

Thank you ladies for the replies..

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
Old 01-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

yes you would want to take all the dairy out of your diet. check the acidophilus too..it is probably cultured on dairy. if it isn't dairy you can mix it with water or into other foods.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cobluegirl For This Useful Post:
mountainash (01-18-2010), TenderLovingWillow (01-18-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
jewelmcjem
Deactivated

I knew u were trouble when u walked in . . . Tribble, Tribble, Tribble

jewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond repute

AFA the original question -- sinus infection = meningitis? :huh? I'm no medical professional, but I have NEVER heard of that!!! Sounds like a scare tactic to me, though I am very willing to be corrected. Also never heard of HiB for sinus infections. If so, I shouldn't get them every single pregnancy, right? B/c I'm fully vaccinated. This seems really off-base to me.

OK, I did some Googling and it seems that Haemophilus influenzae, which HiB is supposed to protect from, is the leading bacteria responsible for sinus infection. But as I said on FB, it seems a bit hasty to proclaim a "chronic" or "repeat" sinus infection after a single infection (my apologies again, by the way, for causing drama there!)
jewelmcjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

Its okay, I have 2 aunts that are nurses, and they really disagree with my stance.. And yes, that bactiria is what the Dr. said may have caused the sinus infection ds has.

I think I am going to wait it out and see if he even has a cronic or reacurring problem with them.. Today the poor little guy has been throwing up.. As if he hasnt already been through enough..

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian
Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
jewelmcjem
Deactivated

I knew u were trouble when u walked in . . . Tribble, Tribble, Tribble

jewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond repute

See, he isn't even well yet and they want to put toxins in him. I just don't get that -- and I am not strongly anti-vax. My ds missed nearly all of his 1st yr vaxes because he had a chronic ear infection. Not one single time did my very mainstream ped suggest vaccinating while he was ill or even just-post illness. Nor did he ever suggest HiB to prevent the infections.

Perhaps you could quiet the naysayers just by saying that you are still researching -- and that if you DO decide to get the HiB, you certainly won't vax until he is WELL. Surely they can't argue with that!
jewelmcjem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jewelmcjem For This Useful Post:
TenderLovingWillow (01-19-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mrs_Chris* View Post
Its okay, I have 2 aunts that are nurses, and they really disagree with my stance.. And yes, that bactiria is what the Dr. said may have caused the sinus infection ds has.

I think I am going to wait it out and see if he even has a cronic or reacurring problem with them.. Today the poor little guy has been throwing up.. As if he hasnt already been through enough..
Sorry, I didn't hellp either. But I'd bean dip them.

Um, they did blood cultures, didn't they, so they *should* know what bacteria he was infected with.

He's *assuming* is will be recurrent.

Sinus infection= menigitis?! Um, I've gotten sinus infections every fall and spring(and never go to dr.) and head them off now with garlic and vit C and oil of Oregano. Peppermint oil tea helps too. But I have never heard that. Bacterial meningitis is caused by that bacteria. That just makes me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelmcjem View Post
AFA the original question -- sinus infection = meningitis? :huh? I'm no medical professional, but I have NEVER heard of that!!! Sounds like a scare tactic to me, though I am very willing to be corrected. Also never heard of HiB for sinus infections. If so, I shouldn't get them every single pregnancy, right? B/c I'm fully vaccinated. This seems really off-base to me.

OK, I did some Googling and it seems that Haemophilus influenzae, which HiB is supposed to protect from, is the leading bacteria responsible for sinus infection. But as I said on FB, it seems a bit hasty to proclaim a "chronic" or "repeat" sinus infection after a single infection (my apologies again, by the way, for causing drama there!)
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maggirayne For This Useful Post:
TenderLovingWillow (01-20-2010)