Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not drinking any fluids

My DD1 (3 yo) woke up on Wednesday night with some vomiting, she vomited 4 times over 4 hours, then went back to sleep. Was okay yesterday aside from being tired, is playful and stuff today but is still not eating or drinking anything. To me the not eating is okay but I am worried about the not drinking. She did have a wet pullup on this morning but it is noon now and she has not gone potty since we changed her out of her Pullup at 7 am. I tried promising a favorite activity once she finished her drink but that didn't work. I am trying water and juice, I know from the past she will not drink pedialite. We can't do popsicles because she reacts to the food coloring in them. Should I resort to going out and buying her soda or lemonade or something?

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not drinking any fluids

soda will dehydrate further.

Make your own popsicles with juice. You can put an ice cube in a mesh feeder as an easy popsicle. And they do make all natural juice popsicles. P can't have food dye and I know I have found some.

What about giving her some water in a dropper every 15 min or so? Just a squirt. What about a fun straw? Will she drink from your cup?
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to klpmommy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (02-19-2010)
Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Raspberries

I agree with the PP. Make your own popsicles or buy a brand that doesn't have dyes. I like the idea of the dropper method too.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

jello counts, too (you can make your own with any kind of juice and knox gelatin). Maybe cut it into some fun shapes to encourage her to eat it? I like to make it with a 100% juice blend including cranberries (like Old Orchard's Cranberry Raspberry). Cranberries have proven to be good for stomach bugs in our family (though I know of no studies that show that they are).

Hope she feels better, soon.

You can also put lemon juice, sugar or maple syrup, and ice cubes in the blender and make an icy treat.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (02-19-2010)
Old 02-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

With a lot of coaxing she drank a few tiny sips of my water. Tried ice in the blender with frozen strawberries. She made a big deal about how much she loved it but she would only eat a few tablespoons full.

Still kinda worried because her lips are dry and cracked and pale and she has a low temp 99.4 under her arm (supposed to add a degree right?). She still has not gone potty all day but is going back and forth between playing regularly for awhile and laying on the recliner for awhile. Does that seem like something to go to urgent care about or just keep getting a little fluid here or there and letting her rest as needed?

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

Old 02-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

i'd be concerned at this point
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to klpmommy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (02-19-2010)
Old 02-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
euromom
Rose Garden

euromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant future

Will she suck on ice cubes?

I don't blame her on the pedialite..Z won't drink that either.

Not sure about the Urgent Care. Maybe see if she will do ice, or a homemade popsicle.

I hope she feels better soon!
mommy to my HBAC blessing dd- 01/10!

euromom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to euromom For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (02-19-2010)
Old 02-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

the thing that has me stumped is why she can be not throwing up for having diarrhea or anything but just refusing to drink.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
the thing that has me stumped is why she can be not throwing up for having diarrhea or anything but just refusing to drink.
Does her throat hurt (possibly from the throwing up)? A few tbsp is actually pretty good- just keep after her. If you can get her to rake a few tbsp an hour, that should be good. I wouldn't worry if she's occasionally up and playing. Also you could try high-liquid foods like fruit.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (02-19-2010)
Old 02-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

She says the drinking makes her think she is going to throw up again. I convinced her that I really did not think she would throw up and she drank about 1/2 cup of lemonade, and went potty a bit later. She was really tired so she is asleep already...hopefully she will sleep well be more like herself tomorrow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-19-2010)
The Following User Says they are praying for AngelaVA:
Aerynne (02-19-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
euromom
Rose Garden

euromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant future

How was she today?
mommy to my HBAC blessing dd- 01/10!

euromom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

Thanks for asking. She was drinking pretty well but not really eating, then Daddy got her to eat some mac and cheese while I was out at the store. She doesn't have a fever anymore and is VERY energetic so I'd say she is better. Thanks for all the ideas to get her drinking , SO glad we didn't end up having to take her in somewhere for dehydration.

The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
euromom (02-21-2010)
Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I also find(if needed in the future) that getting that electrolyte water is better than pedialyte or juice for that 1st keeping it down kind of drinking.It is good to have an unopened bottle on hand.You can always drink it if it starts to get close to going out of dates...... And then do what you did - start with a TBLSP or even less at a time.
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe something new? Like a new herbal tea? Jesse loves peppermint, and Celestial Seasonings (I work with what I have, lol) has a few that taste kinda sweet to me that might tempt her. You could get one of the vaariety boxes of Berry teas and see if she'll go for one.

FTR, I have always been awful about drinking enough. I let myself get dehydrated. Double There's probably a dozen kinds of tea in my cupboard, distilled water, vitamin waters....