Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
JPeriod
Climbing Rose

JPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to all
Default yellow tongue

My tongue is yellow, down the center. I use the tongue scraper and nothing happens. I googled and it seems the concensus is either yeast or bacterial. I was reading in my "Feast Without Yeast" book (DS is on an anti-yeast diet) that the hormones in preganant women make them more suseptible to yeast overgrowths (I'm 9 weeks pregnant).

Thoughts?!

BTW, I can't stand the taste of my own saliva, though that might just be a pregnancy thing right now!
& E. - The Spirited Spawn's Spirited Sister (DD 10/2010 My healing HBAC & forever grateful )
JPeriod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: yellow tongue

I'm not sure what the yellowness would be from , but I've heard that coconut oil is really good for yeast overgrowth (and for tons of other things as well!). Also probiotics are always helpful.

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Raspberries

Do you drink a lot of drinks that might stain or discolor like coffee or tea?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

you could swish with some listerine and it might help kill those germs too.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
JPeriod
Climbing Rose

JPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberries View Post
Do you drink a lot of drinks that might stain or discolor like coffee or tea?
I stopped a month ago. I can't remember if I saw the yellow before that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl View Post
you could swish with some listerine and it might help kill those germs too.
Listerine has been my best friend since I became PG, multiple times a day! I read that stuff with menthol or something (i.e. mouthwash), can cause a discolored tongue, so I thought .

I tried gargling with my son's powdered nystatin for 2 minutes and there really wasn't a change.

One of the home rememedies I read about is brushing the tongue with 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 5 parts water. I tried that the other day and it removed all the yellow I could reach. But I couldn't get the very back because I gag. The taste in my mouth was much better after that.

I'm kinda wondering if there's a connection between my eating so much more gluten and casein since becoming PG, yeast, and the tongue thing.

Drives me absolutely bonkers right now.
& E. - The Spirited Spawn's Spirited Sister (DD 10/2010 My healing HBAC & forever grateful )
Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

when I was on diflucan (antifungal med that you swallow) to treat yeast in my ducts, my tongue was coincidentally the pinkest I'd ever seen it

so yes, I would suspect yeast

one gargle with nystatin won't change it...it often takes two weeks for nystatin to work, and that's dosing 4-8 times a day, and assuming it isn't nystatin-resistant. ftr, nystatin works on contact, not by digestion, so feel free to spit it out afterward.

another option...if you can stay home for about a week...is 3 days of gentian violet. Again, works on contact, and it is not as safe as nystatin if overused, so definitely do the minimum and spit out all excess after painting your tongue with a q-tip dipped in 1% gentian violet once daily. You will look like you chewed a ball point pen for about a week, hence the suggestion to stay home. . Vaseline (or other oil) coating on your lips (and around them, too) will help keep them from getting stained like your tongue. When the stain wears off, the yeast goes with it.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
JPeriod (03-14-2010)
Old 03-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
JPeriod
Climbing Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
when I was on diflucan (antifungal med that you swallow) to treat yeast in my ducts, my tongue was coincidentally the pinkest I'd ever seen it

so yes, I would suspect yeast

one gargle with nystatin won't change it...it often takes two weeks for nystatin to work, and that's dosing 4-8 times a day, and assuming it isn't nystatin-resistant. ftr, nystatin works on contact, not by digestion, so feel free to spit it out afterward.

another option...if you can stay home for about a week...is 3 days of gentian violet. Again, works on contact, and it is not as safe as nystatin if overused, so definitely do the minimum and spit out all excess after painting your tongue with a q-tip dipped in 1% gentian violet once daily. You will look like you chewed a ball point pen for about a week, hence the suggestion to stay home. . Vaseline (or other oil) coating on your lips (and around them, too) will help keep them from getting stained like your tongue. When the stain wears off, the yeast goes with it.
Well, it was 2 minutes with 500,000 units (and I did spit it out!)! And we noticed a difference in DS after the first dose. But true, if it's resistant...

I've never been able to find gentian violet every time I tried. Where have you found it? And if I DO find it, what do suggest to get it on the back of my tongue? Can I gargle it? Wonder how it tastes.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

We use grapefruit seed extract to combat yeast in our family. It's worked well for us, that and taking probiotics. Coconut oil would taste better, though, and has so many other benefits; I've never actually tried it to combat yeast, though, but just read that it can work. I'll try and find some directions for you in case they might help and will be back.

eta: I had another reply typed up but lost it! Anyway, here is where I first learned about using GSE to treat thrush. It's mostly about treating it in babies, but it has some helpful information that could be applied to mom as well. http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html When I need to combat yeast in myself, I put a few drops in water and drink it.

I don't know anything about this site, but I thought this advice at least sounded healthy for people who can take coconut oil.
http://www.coconutdiet.com/candida.htm

Quote:
So to summarize the Coconut Diet Anti-Yeast program:
1. Slowly work up to at least 3.5 tablespoons of Virgin Coconut Oil into one’s diet.
2. Add traditional fermented foods to one’s diet.
3. Eliminate sugars and simple carbohydrates (white breads, pasta, etc.) as much as possible from your diet.
(Instead of traditional fermented foods, I just take probiotics from the store , but I've heard that fermented foods are good for you.)

Anyway, just some ideas!

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers

Last edited by flowermama; 03-14-2010 at 12:47 PM.
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
JPeriod
Climbing Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermama View Post
We use grapefruit seed extract to combat yeast in our family. It's worked well for us, that and taking probiotics. Coconut oil would taste better, though, and has so many other benefits; I've never actually tried it to combat yeast, though, but just read that it can work. I'll try and find some directions for you in case they might help and will be back.

eta: I had another reply typed up but lost it! Anyway, here is where I first learned about using GSE to treat thrush. It's mostly about treating it in babies, but it has some helpful information that could be applied to mom as well. http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html When I need to combat yeast in myself, I put a few drops in water and drink it.

I don't know anything about this site, but I thought this advice at least sounded healthy for people who can take coconut oil.
http://www.coconutdiet.com/candida.htm

(Instead of traditional fermented foods, I just take probiotics from the store , but I've heard that fermented foods are good for you.)

Anyway, just some ideas!

I had forgotten about the GSE! I have some and I think I could do it. It never worked for DS though. Our DAN! doctor was cautious with it though -- said it killed EVERYTHING, like abx do.

We're all already on good probiotics. Check!

I can't stomach the coconut oil right now though.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I hadn't realized you were preg.

Why don't you try brushing with some powered probiotics sprinkled on your toothbrush after every meal?

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
JPeriod
Climbing Rose

Okay, so I'm pretty sure it's yeast. Ick! I've been gargling and taking GSE drops the last couple days and it's only gotten worse. The back is all white and the yellow has spread down the sides of my tongue. Ewwww! I swished with DS's nystatin again this morning and examined more closely afterward. I think it IS killing stuff because there was ramdom slime and stuff came off with my tongue scraper, just not ALL of it. I ended up swallowing so I could get the back of my tongue too.

I have no experience with thrush, but I thought it should be more patchy, painful, and around the sides of my mouth too?? So weird.

I'm debating trying to get to the dr to get a rx for nystatin or if I should try GSE capsules first? I was reading 250 mg/3x day for 3 days? Thoughts? I'm not sure I can handle nystatin 4x a day in my mouth like that.