Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
Chris3jam

Default This is embarrassing. But, here goes. Waaay TMI.

What home remedies are there for very itchy and painful hemorrhoids? Not bleeding (yet) unless wiped, and then smear. Just almost unbearably itchy and painful. Ice, preparation H, witch hazel, suppositories, etc. have all not helped at all. . . in fact, seem to make it worse. No constipation at all. And this has been going on for a few months.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #2
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is embarrassing. But, here goes. Waaay TMI.

Rutin - 1500 mg 3x/day (you can buy the 500 mg tabs and take 3 at a time, 3x/day)
arnica cream/gel every time you go to the restroom
Serafine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Serafine For This Useful Post:
Naked Camper (09-19-2010)
Old 09-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
Chris3jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterwife View Post
Rutin - 1500 mg 3x/day (you can buy the 500 mg tabs and take 3 at a time, 3x/day)
arnica cream/gel every time you go to the restroom
Where to get these things? I've not heard of rutin before. . . .
Old 09-19-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.vitacost.com/Country-Life-Rutin

Rutin is a very good liver support. Some sources suggest that it is contraindicated for someone with a sever bleeding disorder or for people taking warfarin/coumarin...so keep that in mind.

http://www.vitacost.com/Boericke-Taf...d&vbnpid=25635

I would suggest this one b/c it is in the witch hazel base. The other creams/gels, etc. have other ingredients that I wouldn't suggest.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #5
Calliope
Rose Garden

Calliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond repute

I swear by Earth Mama Angel Baby's Mama Bottom Balm. It usually cures a hemmie overnight.
and BabyG homebirth'd homeboy - 3
Awaiting reunion with Ruby Elizabeth born 17w 6d - 1/28/10

Agent Romance
Saving the world, one bedroom at a time!!

Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
Chris3jam

Ok, this is for dh. He doesn't have a bleeding disorder, but he does get this weird heart beat thing, for which he will take something (I'm not sure what it is, but he doesn't take any medicine every day. . .just this one thing when his heart feels like it's skipping beats). He also has ringing in his ears (tinnitus). This and his ears made me think that he needs to get more veggie stuff in his diet especially bioflavonoids. (I know, I know, connecting the hiney and the ears . . . weird). I also think that irregular heart beat thing could be helped, too. I will get the rutin and the arnica for him. This has been going on for so long now, he really needs some relief.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
racheepoo
Deactivated

Don't confuse what is with what is possible.

racheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond repute

ACV helped the most of anything for me--I'm prone to them and get them at the drop of a hat, but since I started using it to treat them, I haven't gotten another one. I literally soak a rag, put it there, and go to sleep and they are gone by the next day or very soon afterwards.
racheepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #8
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute

Witch Hazel is good for making wipes and tucks. I also wanted to add that it's possible for a hemorrhoid to get thrombosed or in other words have a clot stuck in it. In that case it will be very painful and stay around for a long time. The surgery for it can be done in the doctors office. It's painful for the first day or two but ultimately a tremendous relief.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

Lidocaine and hyddrocortisone cream, but mainly the lidocaine. You can buy LM-X otc and its 4% lidocaine in a topical cream. It will numb the area but it also causes vasocontriction to reduce the hemmrhoid.

However, with a heart issue going on, have him check with the doctor who treats the heart condition before using Lidocaine. Usually topical is still fine but you need to be sure with heart palpitations.

The thing about hemmies is that they are often yeast based. If I get them really badly, then I do a course of hard probiotics for my gut and they go away. The Lidocaine will give you about 2-3 weeks of relief but its still temporary.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #10
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Naked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond repute

What FFW suggested
I've really struggled with 'roids since giving birth to my first ds. I've had several lanced due to clots :shutter

What it sounds like you're describing is clotted 'roids. The arnica cream - PLEASE make sure you get a cream and not gel. The gel is alcohol based and :shutter it will burn - ask me how I know :shutter . Anywho, arnica will help break up the clot.

Rutin helps to shrink the 'roid tissue and bring them back to normal size

My HFS sells arnica cream and Rutin - so if you have one near by, you may want to call and ask so you can get them right away - if not, ordering online is most always the cheapest way to go.

ITU how awful 'roids can be Hope your DH gets some relief soon. 'roids suck!

Married to my best friend of 17 years
Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

Fruit of Labor Placenta Encapsulation
Naked Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #11
Serafine
Deactivated

the specific gel I linked to above is in a witch hazel base - with no other added ingredients - instead of an alcohol base.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Naked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW - the standard treatments really didn't provide me with relief (OTC creams, witch hazel, lidocane, etc)- these others worked miracles.

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterwife View Post
the specific gel I linked to above is in a witch hazel base - with no other added ingredients - instead of an alcohol base.
good thinking

Married to my best friend of 17 years
Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

Fruit of Labor Placenta Encapsulation
Naked Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

Coconut oil has always helped mine, when other things didn't.

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
Iarwain
Rose Garden

Iarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond reputeIarwain has a reputation beyond repute

These really help IME: http://www.vitacost.com/Boiron-Hemor...-Suppositories
The Mad Scientist - 18
Princess - 15
Lemur - 12
Noodle - 9
... and little miss Rosebud - age 6
Iarwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #15
Chris3jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by racheepoo View Post
ACV helped the most of anything for me--I'm prone to them and get them at the drop of a hat, but since I started using it to treat them, I haven't gotten another one. I literally soak a rag, put it there, and go to sleep and they are gone by the next day or very soon afterwards.
ACV? What is that?

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Thank you, thank you! I do not know of a health food store in our area. . .. . Whole Foods is 30 minutes away, on a very good day. How long does it usually take to get it, once you order it? Or, should I drive 30 minutes to get something? And, thanks for the support, TTL!! I told dh, as soon as he told me that it had been a week and nothing was getting better, but worse instead, to start taking the probiotics I had. I don't know if any of you remember the strawberry thing, but this is along the same lines. He said that unless I actually hand it to him, how can I expect him to remember, unless it's sitting out right there where he can see it?!? (Probiotics need to stay in the fridge, I said. . . . .well, anyway. . . . ) So, I am handing him probiotics, starting today. *sigh* (since he won't take them unless I do, because he forgets, and I want him to get better and quit using my feminine pads!)