Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default for those who don't use toothpaste

We've yet to find a toothpaste AJ can tolerate. They all have too much flavor. So we just brush with water. But her breath lately is pretty ick. What do you (besides chew gum or use mints, both of which she won't do because, again, too much flavor) to keep that from happening?
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: for those who don't use toothpaste

We use Dr. Christopher's tooth powder, but that will probably have too much flavor, too.

What about just brushing with xylitol? It's great for teeth and mild-tasting.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
NovelMama (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

I would try xylitol too. AK will tolerate a tiny bit of strawberry Tom's of Maine.
TuneMyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TuneMyHeart For This Useful Post:
NovelMama (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
everydaygrace
Climbing Rose

everydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond repute

We make a homemade toothpaste and add flavoring to it. That way it doesnt have to be as strong. Let me see if I can remember. It's Ben a while...

IIRC, I think it was just baking soda, vegetable glycerin, and flavoring. We usually used mint. But I did use an orange flavoring once that was kind of weird because I don't associate it with toothpaste. Your daughter might not have that association though, so it might be ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to everydaygrace For This Useful Post:
NovelMama (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

xylitol or baking soda. also make sure you are brushing her tongue really well as that is really where most of the bad breath comes from

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
NovelMama (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

We order toothpaste online and sometimes run out for a while until we can get more ordered. I have my children rinse with a herbal infusion after brushing. (I use it too.) It keeps the stinky mouth syndrome away. I usually use a mix of rosemary, thyme, spearmint and sage but sometimes I just use thyme. I make a strong infusion and keep it in the fridge. I dilute it with warm water before rinsing.
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
homesteadmama
Rose Trellis

homesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond repute

I brush just with baking soda. I do notice that if i don't get my tongue good enough, my breath stinks.

Sarah, INFJ
Wife to M since 1/04
Mommy to S (1/07), W (1/09), S (1/11)~My UC baby, and A (12/14), Another UC baby
, Baby-Wearing, , Cloth Diapering, , Traditional Foods Family
My blog
homesteadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

calcium bentonite clay (internal grade) mixed with water and raw honey. Most allergy friendly thing I could come up with. Super cheap super effective.THE BEST!! will get rid of the bad breath too. you can add flavor to it, whatever is liked the best
me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
cobluegirl (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Me for that suggestion...

We have yet to find a toothpaste ds will use too. He is supposed to be using Xylitol. I can't honestly say if he is using it though.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
me
Rose Garden

yw I have found that the kids actually learn to crave the health that clay brings and will ask me for it. Plus, there's nothing more fun than making your own toothpaste and letting them personalize their own toothpaste with a flavor they love. lemon was a hit here. though its yummy as is, who doesnt like honey.
The Following User Says Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Thankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond repute

we just do water
Old 01-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
lalani
Climbing Rose

lalani has a reputation beyond reputelalani has a reputation beyond reputelalani has a reputation beyond reputelalani has a reputation beyond reputelalani has a reputation beyond reputelalani has a reputation beyond reputelalani has a reputation beyond reputelalani has a reputation beyond reputelalani has a reputation beyond reputelalani has a reputation beyond reputelalani has a reputation beyond repute

i did baking soda for a while, but the sodium started to irritate my gums (i have super sensitive skin). currently using a burt's bees product b/c it has less of the "mouth stripping" ingredients (which i was becoming allergic to). their children's toothpastes might be flavorless enough?
lalani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
me
Rose Garden

awesome heather! i wish we were so blessed. our teeth would be all gray grimey if we tried that, cause we have.rotfl seriously, I would LOVE to be able to just brush with water. but you know what they say about the gut and the mouth. we are always having to be mindful of our teeth. just born that way
Old 01-31-2011, 08:07 AM   #14
starbyfar7
Rose Blossom

Piffleduffer!

starbyfar7 is a jewel in the roughstarbyfar7 is a jewel in the roughstarbyfar7 is a jewel in the rough

we just use baking soda mixed with a little peroxide to make a paste. as long as dd brushes her tongue really really well and keeps up with the flossing, her breath is fine. but when she's lazy and does the quick 20second brush her breath can be pretty

starbyfar7 is offline   Reply With Quote