Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you ever cured anything with herbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
So how do you select just the right herb? Do you pray on it before bed and wake up in the morning knowing what you should take/prescribe? Or do you just think "hmmm I could really go for a cup of peppermint tea right now"? What's your secret method?
Well, I don't have a secret method really. I just feel a "tug" toward a particular herb. Usually I'm already familiar with the actions of the herb but a few times I've had that pull before I researched a herb and that led me to learn more about it. Sometimes I do specifically pray for help to find the right herb if I feel unsure what to use, especially if the herb is for someone outside my family and I'm not as familiar with their system and needs.
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damselfly For This Useful Post:
Peridot (03-27-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I've heard that from other herbalists/natural healers (like my friend who uses clay to cure everything ). Y'all seem to have some intuitive gift that I lack I store lots of information in my databanks but I don't get intuitive cues about which of several options is the best one. I'm envious; what a great tool

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #18
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks. I've heard that from other herbalists/natural healers (like my friend who uses clay to cure everything ). Y'all seem to have some intuitive gift that I lack I store lots of information in my databanks but I don't get intuitive cues about which of several options is the best one.
Don't give up on it! Maybe it's just there waiting to express itself in a way that makes sense to you.
Taedareth (03-19-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #19
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

You could be right (I hope you're right! ) I have wondered if maybe my "healer's intution" wants to talk to me but I just don't know how to listen Suggestions?

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Old 03-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #20
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Quote:
You could be right (I hope you're right! ) I have wondered if maybe my "healer's intution" wants to talk to me but I just don't know how to listen Suggestions?
One thing I've been doing is spending some time outside every pleasant day sitting still and trying to clear my mind and just enjoy tree branches waving against a blue sky, a new moon rising, or the gold of dandelions in the grass beside me (when the kids aren't crawling over me or the dog isn't licking my ear, that is. ) It really helps me be more connected to the earth, the plants and my intuition.

This may sound a little odd but I also sleep with a potted herb next to my bed at night. It's a scented geranium (Pelargonium) and I brush it and enjoy its scent before dropping off to sleep. It's another way to strengthen my connection with plants.

I have also had to let go of nervousness about being "right" and simply enjoy the plants.

Sometimes it just takes a little extra quietness and a trust in one's God-given intuition.
Taedareth (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #21
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

Urinary tract infection -- marshmallow root, corn silk, uva ursi, echinacea -- in a tincture.

I use essential oils to kill off infections in sores or scrapes.

I will use dry powdered herbs for big scrapes on children (goldenseal and/or oregon grape root -- sometimes with clay).

We use herbs in our baths to help us feel better - often thyme and sage and lavender.

Last edited by newday; 03-18-2011 at 07:17 PM.
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newday For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (03-19-2011), Peridot (03-27-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #22
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Jaymarie, where did you get the tincture and how long did it take to work?

I like those ideas, Jenny There are some plants that I just *like* and have always liked. Lemon balm, peppermint, and pretty much every other member of the mint family I love them. They're like pets I need to plant some in our new garden this spring! Hey, anyone want to trade herb starts?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #23
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah I don't feel it yet either.... I am a good info gatherer as well.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #24
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Maybe that's why you and I have focused on nutrition, because it helps everyone (no special prescription required) and we don't need to see overnight results to be confident that it's helping

Isn't it true that most herbs work gradually over a long period of use? Like the examples above of drinking nettle tea for a year. I wonder if that's part of my frustration with using herbs for acute issues (like a flu) is that they DON'T help overnight the way pennecillin does. So maybe some of the herbal remedies I've used either didn't work because they're incapable of making a big difference in a short time frame, or in cases when I used them longer-term, the benefits were too subtle to notice

I also kind of wonder, when people say they "feel" that a certain remedy is the right one, whether it's just fanciful imaginings that the person is giving too much credence to. (Please nobody be offended ) And some well-known herbalists have spiritualized this concept into a "Mother Nature" religion of sorts. That's probably why I don't make any effort to "listen to the plants" because I don't want to fall into some silly ideology where I imagine the plants are speaking to me on a spiritual level (Pssst Jadeswan, this will make more sense when I email you my "calling to be a healer" story. )

So that's my hangup, I guess But that being said, I have talked to some moms on GCM who had really solid testimonials about a feeling or gut instinct as to which remedy would help them. Hmm if I think about it that way, I'm totally comfortable with using intuition (in the Meyers-Briggs sense) to choose a remedy. But I don't know about the spiritual aspect. I guess I need to ask God about it because I want to hear any messages He cares to tell me. But I'm wary of trying to receive spiritual guidance from any other source. Disclaimer: these are my personal issues and are in no way meant to desparage or criticize anyone else's approach to herbalism Thank you for listening!

Last edited by Taedareth; 03-18-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #25
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
Then learned that peppermint worked better for my asthma than my inhailer seemed to.
Ooh, oooh, ooh, talk to me about the peppermint for asthma. DH occasionally gets asthma attacks & we have yet to find the right (natural) thing to open the airways during an attack. We're striving for prevention, but we're not there 100% yet. So how do you use the peppermint?

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
mamajane (03-20-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #26
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think the time factor is def an issue with me. I mean I know that somethings do work.. the question is do I have the time to use them? I like homeopathy because it stimulates the body to heal itself, however it has been years since I have spent a lot of time studying it so finding the correct remedy also takes time. Somethings are easier. I do use herbal tinctures and other herbs. We aren't sick often so to say "what I have cured" not sure. If I don't write it down I don't usually remember, unless it is something that happens frequently. I have cured strep throat with herbal tinctures and capsules. That is one I can "claim". I have used Crystal's Shalomotion to cure a wart and just bought some more to try it on another one.
IME everything has a place and it is all connected. I am currently seeing an acupuncturist for gallbladder issues. Some of the things that she has brought up were symptoms that I had experienced and hadn't told her about and didn't think they were connected...they were....LOL I wish I could just understand and know it all... like a computer..insert chip and know...LOL

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 03-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #27
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Haha, that would be great!

Okay this is a little off-topic but you mentioned warts and that reminded me. NOTHING cures the plantar's warts on the soles of my feet. Had 'em for 20 years. Tried lots of remedies. Shalomtion had no effect (actually it was very lightly scented so I'm not sure if the EO's in it are medicinal potency anyway?) If you know of a cure that works, please tell me... Why doesn't my body respond to natural treatments? Thank Heaven I don't have any significant health issues

Back to your regularly-scheduled thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #28
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

lol did you try duck tape? We shall see if the lotion works this time....

You might have a really strong constitution and just don't need much to heal itself.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

Old 03-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #29
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute

Once my husband had a really bad ingrow toe nail with an infection. He soaked it in chamomile tea and the next day it was better! I have cured skin infections, acne boils, sinus infections (through drinking lots of tea and inhaling steamed herbs), minor ear infections, and ....hmm....coughs and insomnia.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Oh, I have lots of books about herbs and what they are good for. FTR you can use common salal for stomach aches, dandelion for liver cleansing, plantango major for skin infections and so on and so on.
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantern Light Mama For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 05:16 AM   #30
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

ok. First I got the tincture from my ND.
Then I purchased the individual herbal tincture from Herbpharm (I got it at my co-op, but you can order directly from them).
Since then I have procured the freshly dried herbs and tinctured them myself.
I have since decided not to purchase dried herbs for tincturing (with some exceptions) but to just grow them myself of purchase the tincture.
So this year we aren't growing any veggies, just herbs I have lots

I love the book Herbal Antibiotics by Stephen Buchner (sp?) and the Herbal Medicine Maker's Guide. THMMG is so helpful for me when it comes to basic formulas for ointments and salves, oils and tinctures. It is a great guide for starters. Very basic.

Also, I do like Rosemary Gladstar's books, the family herbal and the women's herbal.

Tinctures are my favorite way to consume medicinal plants, then infusions. But when we need something intensive we do it in many layers. Tincture, infusion, steam inhalation, food.

I think that duct tape for warts is the best remedy, but for plantar warts, it is really difficult to get the tape or any med. to stick which is what is needed in order to get rid of the wart.

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

We use herbs for many things, but I think the only thing I can say they "cured" for sure was the UTI. There are lots of things I think our herbal usage has helped, or swayed toward health...
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newday For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (03-19-2011), Taedareth (03-19-2011)