Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Hannah Elise
Rose Trellis

Hannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Talk to me about Tamiflu...

Okay, mamas. Talk to me about Tamiflu. Active ingredients, etc.

One of my mother's coworkers picked up a feverish daughter from daycare at the tail ed of last week, took her to the doctor to make sure she didn't have ear infections, and the doctor took a swab to check for flu just in case. Of course the mother brought her daughter back to the office for the last couple hours of day because, "Pssh, she doesn't have the flu, she's acting fine." Yeah. It came back positive. So the doctor ordered a prescription of Tamiflu for each of the family members.

Guess who woke up this mornign with headache, achy neck, fever, etc? My mother. We live with my parents, and on top of regular exposure, my mother watched our ds last night so we could go see the Hobbit.

So, anyway... we don't do the flu shot, but if it turns out she does have it, what are the risks/benefits of going on Tamiflu as "preventative"? I'm a firm believer in the idea that the body reacts with a fever because it's fighting the illness and such (http://www.modernalternativemama.com...od-or-bad.html - love this article), but I don't know that we've really come in contact with true "flu" before, and with me being 37.5 weeks pregnant, I just wanted to research whether or not it's something we should pursue. For that matter, if I can even have it, being pregnant.

Anyway. Talk to me, mamas! Thanks!

Edited to add:
Keeping ds on his routine kefir/probiotics/TriLight-herbal-multivitamin regimen. Added some probiotics to my own drink this morning, as well as TriLight's RespaClear, to boost my immune system, as that has echinacea in it and I know it's pregnancy-safe.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talk to me about Tamiflu...

I don't know anything about tamiflu but I would at least get some oscillococcinum and have everyone take that.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Annalou (12-23-2012), CrunchySeaSalt (12-23-2012), Soliloquy (01-26-2013)
Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Hannah Elise
Rose Trellis

Hannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
I don't know anything about tamiflu but I would at least get some oscillococcinum and have everyone take that.
We've got plenty of osci (I bought a thirty-pack off of Amazon before cold-and-flu season started), but I was under the impression that osci is meant to be taken to help shorten the duration of flu-like symptoms, not as a preventative.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

i've never heard of taking it as a preventative. last time i came down with the flu i took a homeopathic flu remedy every 15 min during waking hours and woke up good as new the next day.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
Annalou (12-23-2012), filmgirl2911 (12-22-2012), Soliloquy (01-26-2013), Starfox (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any evidence to back it up, but I personally wouldn't touch tamiflu. And I don't think it works as a preventive anyway. I'd do raw garlic and elderberry syrup.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
Annalou (12-23-2012), filmgirl2911 (12-22-2012), Hopetobe (12-22-2012), Soliloquy (01-26-2013)
Old 12-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

Tamiflu works by weakening the influenza virus so that the immune system can better fight it and destroy it.

However, anti-virals work differently than antibiotics. Bacteria contain something the human cell does not contain called RNA. Antibacterials attack RNA and thus does not directly attack the human body. Virus vectors only contain DNA, thus anti-virals have no choice but to attack DNA. This can cause significantly more risks and side effects in humans.

Much of the side effects of antibiotics come because they kill helpful bacteria in the body and not *just* the harmful bacteria. Anti-virals have side effects caused by their impact upon human DNA.

Like all medical options (including the choice to opt out of Western medicine), you need to weigh the risks versus benefits for your unique situation. Rene made a very good explanation of the at-risk populations that make using Tamiflu a very good option.

In my household I would give my four year old with asthma Tamiflu if he contracts influenza but would not give the other children it. I have asthma and was hospitalized from life threatening complications from influenza last December. However, I have 3 auto-immune disorders and a sub-par immune system. Consquently, I got both the flu and pnuemonia vaccines for myself but would not utilize Tamiflu for me. DH makes his own decisions and I cannot answer for him. I've made a choice for myself and my eight children based upon the risks versus benefits for each individual and the answer is not the same across the board.

Micah, when he was alive, recieved his flu vaccine every season AND took Tamiflu the minute he had a confirmed exposure to influenza. Despite that, his last bout of influenza weakened his lungs and body in spite of the Tamiflu he recieved that it started the downward spiral which ended in his death 17 months later.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TestifyToLove For This Useful Post:
Hannah Elise (12-22-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Both my mom and I took tamiflu several years ago when we came down with Influenza Type A and we both now have ringing in the ears after taking it. I also started vomitting shortly after the first dose. I personally would never take tamiflu again and would instead treat with oscillo. My dad took another drug to prevent the flu since both my mom and I had it. I don't remember the name of it (I think it starts with an r ) and he never got the flu nor did he have any side effects. I really have no definitive research that shows one way or the other if tamiflu is safe/effective or not. However, my gut feeling leads me to never taking it again.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (12-22-2012), Soliloquy (01-26-2013)
Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
but I was under the impression that osci is meant to be taken to help shorten the duration of flu-like symptoms, not as a preventative
My family takes it at the beginning of every flu season as a preventative and again if there is any exposure. So far so good.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
mwwr
Deactivated

It is good to be Queen!

mwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond repute

Tamiflu can cause permanent ringing in the ears? Hmm. I don't remember exactly when ds1 first noticed the ringing in his ears, but I'm pretty sure it was after the Tamiflu. Of course, he has a million other neurological issues that could be the cause, and he is one of the high-risk patient for whom Tamiflu was intended. But still...
mwwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Hannah Elise
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestifyToLove View Post

Micah, when he was alive, recieved his flu vaccine every season AND took Tamiflu the minute he had a confirmed exposure to influenza. Despite that, his last bout of influenza weakened his lungs and body in spite of the Tamiflu he recieved that it started the downward spiral which ended in his death 17 months later.
TestifyToLove, would you mind sharing why Micah was part of the at-risk population? I tried to follow the link in your signature, but the slideshow was giving me an error message... I take it he had more than the asthma that you and your four year old have?

It does appear that my ds has come down with SOMEthing... he had a 102.6 fever when he first woke up from his nap earlier today... and he premuch went back to sleep for another three hours. By 4:00, though, the fever had broken, although he's still acting miserable and under the weather. Doesn't sound like much, except that literally nothing stops this kid from going-going-going... we had a respiratory bug that put each of us (myself, dh, my mother and father) in bed for the first two days with sinus/lung/fatigue/etc issues (but no fever or headache, so I'm pretty sure THAT wasn't flu) last month, and while he came down with it, too, his energy level barely saw a dip. So, for him to be whimpering and in and out in our arms for four hours is... well, big for him.

That said, I don't think I'm going to pursue taking him to urgent care and seeking out Tamiflu unless he starts to show respiratory symptoms.

My OB called in a scrip for Tamiflu on Friday when I called their office to see whether or not they wanted me to come in for my appointment, knowing that I had been exposed. They wanted me on it as a preventative, even though I wasn't showing any symptoms. I figured, well, I would pick it up to have on hand and IF I was showing symptoms, THEN I would take it.

So I stopped at the pharmacy to pick it up, and got talking to my pharmacist... long story short, he told me that if I started to feel like I was coming down with it, to take some Tylenol and call him and he'd get it made up - and that if it was Christmas, to call their house (small town - we buy hay from his father-in-law, his father-in-law leases cornfields from my father, his brother-in-law is our mechanic, etc). small town.

But yeah... I appreciate the information y'all listed out for me here. I'm continuing my preventative regimen (probiotics, RespaClear, etc) and I've got my son on children's osci, Scout Out, and Wild Cherry Coffaway... so here's hoping we won't have to use it. At this point I'm just wishing we didn't live in the same household as my parents, because my mother is all worried and thinks I should've gotten him on Tamiflu today because of how miserable she was (at one point she was in the 104 range), and "children's fevers tend to run higher, and they can't handle that, and I had your father pick up some children's tylenol at the store today just in case you decide you need it," aaaaand... *sigh* Yes, mother. I know it's just a case of grandma-worry. It's not like as a mother, I'm not worried... I just have a far greater skepticism of interfering with a healthy immune system's functions, I guess.

All that rambling to say... I'm not going to rule Tamiflu out, but I really do appreciate all the information y'all gave me, because I felt utterly uninformed about it (and while I'm "read up" on antibiotics, I didn't know how antivirals worked, so I definitely appreciate that!).... and I dislike being uninformed. Being uninformed is how ds ended up circ'ed...
Old 12-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwwr View Post
Tamiflu can cause permanent ringing in the ears? Hmm. I don't remember exactly when ds1 first noticed the ringing in his ears, but I'm pretty sure it was after the Tamiflu. Of course, he has a million other neurological issues that could be the cause, and he is one of the high-risk patient for whom Tamiflu was intended. But still...
I can't say 100% that it was the Tamiflu that caused ringing in the ears but that is the only thing my mother and I took that was the same, in the same timeframe and got the same results.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestifyToLove View Post
Tamiflu works by weakening the influenza virus so that the immune system can better fight it and destroy it.

However, anti-virals work differently than antibiotics. Bacteria contain something the human cell does not contain called RNA. Antibacterials attack RNA and thus does not directly attack the human body.

I don't know much about Tamiflu, and maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but can't human cells have RNA and DNA?

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I took it when 29ish weeks pregnant with DS2. It really messed with my sleep I had bad insomnia and vivid dreams. No other side effects I can directly attribute to it. I don't think I would take it again, especially while pregnant. And I think if I wouldn't have ended up in the hospital, I could've managed it with natural remedies that would've been just as effective without all the side effects. DS1 was 2 at the time, and they recommended he and DH both take it as a preventative. They didn't. Neither one ended up sick.

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Samantha and Josh came down with the flu when I was third trimester pregnant with Simon. Our doc prescribed tamiflu for Josh and Samantha, not to me, to lessen the risk of them passing the flu to me. I didn't get the flu. We were all sleeping in the same bed.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Rabbit:
MrsDuck (12-29-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
mwwr
Deactivated

It is good to be Queen!

mwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Elise View Post
TestifyToLove, would you mind sharing why Micah was part of the at-risk population? I tried to follow the link in your signature, but the slideshow was giving me an error message... I take it he had more than the asthma that you and your four year old have?
Hannah Elise, I don't think TTL would mind me sharing that Micah died of cystic fibrosis this summer. I'm guessing you are fairly new since you missed that vigil.
mwwr is offline   Reply With Quote