Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute
Default deep infection in finger

My husband cut his knuckle pretty bad at work (he's a mechanic) and it was healing alright, it seemed, the cut sealed up and no signs of infection...then the other night he woke up in pain and his finger (which looked healed when he went to bed) was about as swollen as I have ever seen a finger get, and oozing pus.
He went to the workers clinic the next morning, and they took ex rays and said it didn't look broken, gave him an antibiotic and ibuprofen. It's not hot to touch, and it's SO swollen. Still oozing pus.
Is there something we can do to help the swelling go down so it won't hurt him so much? Would some type of bentonite clay pack help?

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: deep infection in finger

Soaking in warm water with epsom salts which can help fight the infection. Make a poultice with comfrey leaves to draw the pus out. Bentonite clay applied is supposed to help; I'd mix the clay with colloidal silver for extra fighting power.
I think he needs to see a real doctor. Watch for red streaking from the wound toward his elbow. That means the infection is entering his blood stream and he needs an ER immediately.

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SilverMoon For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (06-30-2013), gpsings (06-29-2013), lalaithnil (07-05-2013), newday (07-02-2013), Peridot (07-02-2013), Rabbit (07-02-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

When I had a hangnail go crazy infected after the abx, the doctor had me soak my hand in epsom salts (with warm water) it helped draw the infection out, and helped me with the pain too.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
gpsings (06-29-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Def the epsom salts and bentonite pack in between soaks

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
gpsings (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds very much like the wound was not fully cleaned out when the injury occurred. Infection that is sealed inside the body like that requires a doctor to look at, preferably an orthopedic surgeon. As someone else said, any red streaks mean you need to go straight to the Emergency room. However, given this was a workman's comp issue, if you cannot get fast response I would recommend an ER anyway. It's a fast track path to see an Orthoped versus just a GP.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TestifyToLove For This Useful Post:
gpsings (07-01-2013), Johns_Gal (07-02-2013), Rabbit (07-02-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

He's been doing epson salt soaks and clay wraps for two days. Swelling doesn't seem better, but he's been able to sleep through the night, which is an improvement. He is going back to the workmans comp dr today, so I am praying they will take him more seriously. He's already taking antibx but It's been a week. No red streaks that I could see.....
I will tell him about the orthopedic. He didn't clean out the wound other than to rinse it in the sink.
Thank you all for good advice.

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin

Old 07-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, in the future, if an open wound is not cleaned out with sterile salt water by a healthcare professional, you can pour hydrogen peroxide into the wound. The concern is bacteria that thrive without oxygen will grow and flourish once the wound is closed back up. Hydrogen peroxide will overwhelm those bacteria with oxygen that will destroy them so that they are dead before the wound closes and seals them in.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TestifyToLove For This Useful Post:
CJNeeley (07-03-2013), gpsings (07-01-2013), lalaithnil (07-05-2013), Two Little Birds (07-05-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Thank you. He had it packed with clay again overnight, and it was better this morning, he said, but still very angry. The dr said something about recommending PT for it, but he thought that was silly. He's joking around about how much workmans comp would pay him for a finger. I would just be very very happy if it didn't get septic and turn serious.

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin

Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation

is it still hot?

It sounds like more going on than soft tissue infection. If it was only that the soaks should have helped more dramatically by now. how is the tissue around the wound? is it hard, shiny? is it spongey? smell it- what does it smell like? does the pain radiate?

I don't like this.

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
gpsings (07-02-2013), knitlove (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

No smell, not hot anymore. Tissue was tight and shiny, and it would hurt even if air hit it. He was waking up at night. :-( slowly, the soaks are helping a bit, but not dramatically. He's sleeping through the night and says the pain is down. I think its getting better, but its definitely a bad one.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin

The Following User Says Thank You to gpsings For This Useful Post:
Peridot (07-02-2013)
The Following User Says they are praying for gpsings:
Peridot (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation

you are doing clay? or Epsom salts?

You could do one in the morning and the other in the evening.

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
gpsings (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

He's been soaking all evening when he gets home from work, and wearing a clay/ bandage through the night while sleeping. It has, slowly been going down.
Question; Why would the workman's comp. Dr recommend PT? He laughed it off...

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin

Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
TestifyToLove
Banned

PT would help an inflammatory response. However, inflammation would not have pus oozing out of the wound. Do you have the ability to see someone for a second opinion? I would seek a second opinion sooner rather than later, personally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TestifyToLove For This Useful Post:
gpsings (07-02-2013), newday (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
brown eyed girl
Rose Bouquet

brown eyed girl is a splendid one to beholdbrown eyed girl is a splendid one to beholdbrown eyed girl is a splendid one to beholdbrown eyed girl is a splendid one to beholdbrown eyed girl is a splendid one to beholdbrown eyed girl is a splendid one to beholdbrown eyed girl is a splendid one to beholdbrown eyed girl is a splendid one to beholdbrown eyed girl is a splendid one to behold

did they give him a tetanus shot?

Do you remember when we used to sing?
Sha la la la la la la la la la la de da
brown eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

No tetanus shot. I am not comfortable with how slowly it's healing. I don't see any more pus, and its not hurting as much, but its still really swollen. He's still soaking in Epson salts and wrapping it with clay.
What does it mean if c. Silver is yellow? I wasn't comfortable using it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin