Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
mezzBreath
Deactivated

mezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond repute
Default my baby has the croup :(

she's 10 months old. ideas for natural support? it's heart breaking
mezzBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my baby has the croup :(

Moist air both warm and steamy like a shower making bathroom steam to breathe or cool damp air outside, cool mist vaporiser. It can come from both a virus cold or from being irritated by something breathed like smoke or paint fumes etc. I ME Usually more at night for 3 nights.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

I used essential oils in a diffuser and three different homeopathic remedies. Croup is usually a 3-day cycle, with the second the worst. So we had one night of it, then I started the treatments late in the day the next day. No problems, slept through the night (3.5 years old).

So, there are a couple of possibilities:
1) It was an incredibly mild case and the night I noticed it WAS night 2.
2) The stuff we tried helped. A lot.

Anyway. Here's the oils I used:
http://saje.ca/all-natural/healthy-e...ser-blend.html
You can look at the ingredients and get similar oils, maybe. And I used an aromatherapy diffuser.

The homepathic remedies I used were Aconitum, Spongia Tosta, and Hepar Sulph. They were the top three listed on the four or so different sites I checked on (though in varying orders. ) So I got those three, and gave one of them an hour, rotating through which one. I don't remember what we started with, sorry.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Oh yeah, you can give homepathics to a baby, I'm not sure on how. I *think* you can dissolve in water? We have some knowledgeable moms on here wrt. homeopathy, hopefully one of them will see this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
mezzBreath (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
elohcin
Rose Bouquet

elohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud of

Mine have all had croup at LEAST once from about 7-18 months....feels like a crummy rite of passage around here. It's horribly scary IMO! (it almost always happens when DH is working, meaning I'm alone those nights) Nights are when it is the worst, usually they wake up crying and struggling. We always go straight for the bathroom and get it really steamy, and I calm them down- it's always aggravated when they get worked up. That settles it initially, then I sit outside with them in the crisp cool air if I can (that night or throughout the next day). We keep the humidifie running all day/night, sometimes with a little eucalyptus oil in it. If they are drinking water I'll give them takuna in it, or sometimes we've done takuna in a nebulizer. Honestly though, I find croup scary (although as I said, I'm usually alone so that makes it more dramatic....but I could just be a wimp) and so we keep decadron on hand and even though I'm a 99.99999% natural treatment mama, I won't hesitate to give it if they are really struggling. I have 2 who have been "pleghmy" kids from the start though and they get it the worst so they're the ones I have the most trouble with.
11 very loved babies in Heaven
elohcin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to elohcin For This Useful Post:
mezzBreath (10-11-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't experience croup until my third and it scared the daylights out of me. It seems when ds had it, in addition to the warm moist air, I was told another approach was to take him out into the cold night air - that the cold air hitting his lungs would help (seems holding him in front of the open freezer might have been suggested. If I'm remembering that incorrectly, somone speak up please.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
elohcin
Rose Bouquet

elohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
I didn't experience croup until my third and it scared the daylights out of me. It seems when ds had it, in addition to the warm moist air, I was told another approach was to take him out into the cold night air - that the cold air hitting his lungs would help (seems holding him in front of the open freezer might have been suggested. If I'm remembering that incorrectly, somone speak up please.
Nope, we do it too, per my FIL's (long time MD) recommendation. I suppose it's similar to the way crisp, cold air was successful in helping treat TB back in the day.
11 very loved babies in Heaven
elohcin is offline   Reply With Quote